Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 1:22:50 PM EDT
This is from Mrs. Superdav. My family has been looking into buying a yorkshire terrior. Can anyone tell me any differences between a puppy of the male gender compared to a female puppy?The females are higher in price and seem to sell real fast. I wanted a female but, I think it's because my husband and I have three daughters. I guess I just like a house with a high estrogen level. Any info on this breed would be great.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
 my wife and i own a male yorkie. hes crazy and blind. he was abused. but we love him. my outlaws/inlaws had a miniture female from a puppy mill. lots of Dr. visits and bills ,bad hips ,breathing and stomach problems. but she was a darling. lick you to death and cuddle.
 they are good dogs.
       ammo1015
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont know any specifics about the breed.  my ex-boss used to have one.  i have seen bigger rats. [:)]  they are to small for me.  i would rather just get a cat.  most cats could beat the hell out of a yorky.  the funniest part about his yorky is that if anybody showed up at the house they had to immediatly put him out side because he would pee.  he got so excited if you petted him he would take a leak.  i almost stepped on the thing a couple times because you wouldnt always see him.  o-well  just my opinion on them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't have any Yorkies. Females go higher due to breeding (ie- puppies). Females seem to make better all around pets than males. ( I have Rots, GSD's, Rat Terriers, and JRT's) Males have that cute habit of "grooming" themselves all the time. Even Alpha females don't act as "stupid" as the males. For info on Yorkies go to Goggle and enter "Yorkshire Terriers"---you will get tons of info. Also please consider getting your dog from a rescue site. Help a throw-away dog have a chance at life...

[url]http://thedognet.net/doghouse/linksbybreed/linksyorkshireterrier.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
We(the wife and I) had a Yorkie for 14 years. She was a sweetie and it broke our hearts when she died. However; we would probably not get another. They tend to be very difficult to house break and often have many health problems due to inbreeding. If you decide to get a Yorkie, I would reccommend contacting the breed association for a list of reputable breeders. Try to find a breeder that concentrates on breeding healthy animals. Often, Yorkies are bred for small size and these may tend to be more unhealthy.

docmac86
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all of you who answered my question. My husband spends so much time on this site, I thought I'd put in some time on here myself.

We also have a Rottwieler(male). That is another reason why I think a female would adapt better in our household.
Thanks again!!
Mrs. Superdav
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
We have two -

Cooper
[img]http://sniper.rsvs.net/CooperSleepy.JPG[/img] and

Dudley
[img]http://sniper.rsvs.net/DudleySleepy.JPG[/img]

They're great dogs.  We rescued Dudley from a shelter.  

Sorry...I'm just kind of shattered-tired right now.

QS
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you have a male already in the house, a female is your only other choice, IMO.  We had a male yorkie when I was a kid, and he was a tough, fun dog.  He loveed lots of exercise, was a great hunter.  He kept 2 1/2 acres free of ground squirrels, out of the grapes and other vegetation.  When he died, they came back with a vengeance.

If you choose the smaller models, they're much more fragile as described above, I think.  the bigger dogs may be more robust, especially if they get lots of exercise.  BTW, a big dog and small dog together make a killer combination.  Mine was the brains to the two shepherd's brawn.  Fun to watch!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My g/f has one... as much as I love dogs, I hate that yorkie.  He is about as anti-social and unplayful as they get.  All he does is eat, sleep, poop and pee.  Won't have anything to do with other dogs or people...just a waste of flesh in my opinion.  His brother and sister are great (her mom has them), which makes me wonder what the hell happened to him.  I think he's terminally stupid.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My mother has a yorkie

It is the stupidest, most inbred, stinkinest, most expensive, allergenic, crappin, peeing, stinking breath piece of malformed biological mass my parents have ever owned.

I'm serious, this breed has been so over bred that it is next to impossible to get a healthy one.

We had a German Shnauzer one time that was the best dog I could ask for.

I now have a laborador mix that I would NEVER part with.  After doing some research, I will never have another purebreed or AKC animal.  There is simply too many ill founded practices going on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top