Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2002 9:58:08 PM EDT
I have recently took steps to realize a dream of mine.  I joined the Boone County Fire Protection District.  It is volunteer and I am currently in their recruit classes.  Going to calls with my dad when I was little made me want to do this.

Any tips from the FF on the board that you think would be helpful?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Get all of the required certs now while you are young and enthusiastic. Get the EMT or Paramedic stuff out of the way ASAP. This stuff is very difficult to complete once you are employed full time.

If you have any desire at all to go to college, you need to do it before you get hired full time (if that's your intent). Most classes will not accommodate a fireman's schedule.

Get in shape and stay there. It's really tough to lose the lard once you get up in years.

Stay away from the doughnuts.

Learn to cook.

These are all leasons I learned the hard way.

Volunteer work is good, paid career is really good.

Edited to say good luck to ya'.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan on doing both vol. and career, but the only career FD available isn't hiring until 2004.  I graduate from recruit class on June 26th and I have 2 years to become a certified EMT.  I plan on doing that as quickly as possible.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
M115A2

Sounds like your on the right path. Take operatorerror's advice. If the area you eventually want to live in has advanced EMS get your medic license, then use it!  Work on a private ambulance service.  I know the $$$ suck in the private amb. service but the experience will be invaluable.  I've seen people not get hired just because they didn't work as a medic after school!

Good luck!!
Tim L.
[):)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
M15A2,

Congrats!

I agree..work for an EMS service if you get the chance.  Get your EMT license as soon as you can and get some truck time on a ambulance.  Getting your EMT-P is also a plus!

Having the medical training is always a plus when it comes to being a FF.

I still know a few people in the EMS world. [;)] Shoot me an email if you want.

and remember.....FIRE BURN!  OUCH!

medcop
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Basically follow the advice given, and most of all find out what the requirements are for the department you most want to work for are and work towards reaching them.
Secondly, dont't give up, you will make it.
If all else fails, become a paramedic.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I still know a few people in the EMS world. [;)] Shoot me an email if you want.

and remember.....FIRE BURN!  OUCH!

medcop
View Quote

I might just do that someday, and I will remember you advice too. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top