Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/8/2002 4:17:20 PM EDT
Starting June 1st the cops will be able to pull you over and give you a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. I guess they will notice whether the strap is over your shoulder or not. What BS. Sometimes I wear the lap belt and not the shoulder strap [they are independent of each other]. Will I still get a ticket? What a friggin invasion of my space. I hate this shit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 4:20:54 PM EDT by Mortech]
Actually they'll start pulling people over on the 22nd this month , I bet you hate those public Service Announcment about this as much as I do . I guess its time to tint my windows .
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:21:55 PM EDT
Was thinking of getting a t-shirt with a black stripe across it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:24:05 PM EDT
I don't think it's the cops you should be worried about. It's the Auto Insurance Industry. Here in NY, auto insurance is the 2nd highest in the nation. If you get a ticket here, your rates go up depending on your driving experince. I wouldn't be surprised if the politicians in WA caved into the pressure of the insurance companies. I pay about $2,300 a year in car insurance for my 4 door 88 chevy caprice that is over 100,000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:25:20 PM EDT
Dude, good idea. You could make money with those. Add some kind of message about the stupid seat belt law and you will sell TONS. Personally, I wear my seatbelt, but I think the laws suck. We have them here in Iowa. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:26:44 PM EDT
Yep, I guess that law will suck. But then again I've always wore my seatbelt.....something about not liking the idea of getting thrown out of a moving vehicle. [:(] No flamefest intended Jamie
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:30:31 PM EDT
Please don't misunderstand me. Wearing a seatbelt is a wise thing to do but it should be a voluntary thing to do. Shouldn't be criminal not to wear one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:36:03 PM EDT
Some Colorado legistlators want to do the same here. A few years ago, they made seat belts mandatory, but the cops could only give you a ticket if they pulled you over for something else. The bill's sponsors swore that they would never just pull you over for not wearing one. Now they want to. Surprise. Don't get me wrong, I wear one, but it should be my choice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:40:34 PM EDT
They passed the same law here in Wisconsin a few years ago----but just about no one ever gets pulled over for not wearing a seat belt. Police just have too many other, better and mor important things to do. Police will give you a ticket for not wearing a belt if they pull you over for some other infraction, though. I'm like the rest of you----wearing a belt is a good idea---but it should be my choice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:43:23 PM EDT
They are you, the cops did not decide to start enforcing a law they enacted; if not wearing a seatbelt is an infringement on your rights to not wear a safty device, then sue on the unconstitutionality of it. Not being sarcastic here, really.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:42:06 PM EDT
Same thing here, they passed the seatbelt law on safety grounds, promising us that the insurance companies would drop rates. Well, it did not happen. It was specified in the law, to prevent abuse by cops, that they could only write you for seat belt violations if you were stopped for another reason. Well, just as the detractors stated, no sooner than the law passed, there was a clamor by the cops and politicos to allow stops for seat belt violations alone. Now, why is this? Well, the old probable cause thing. It gives them an excuse to pull you over and look in your car. You say you have your seat belt on? All the cop has to say is he did not see it, and stopped you, and while you are stopped he had reason to go further. Or he just lies and says you did not have it on. Whichever, it gives them an excuse for a "stop and frisk". Don't cops have enough to worry about than stopping people for bullshit reasons? And if you think that is bad enough, you ain't heard nothin' yet... In many states they quietly slipped in laws (this was about 10 years ago) giving National Guard troops the same powers of arrest, search, etc, when on duty. In other words, when the Guard is called out, they are the same as cops as far as civilians are concerned. Plus they carry automatic weapons. So, along with this, many states, at the same time, quietly slipped in another law... when National Guard from another state is on duty in your state, being "borrowed" as it were, for a "National Emergency", they have the same powers as the local National Guard... This is between cooperating states. So if, for example, Illinois and Ohio had such laws as the two above, the Commie mayor of Chicago (this is just a for instance, we know he would not really do this), could borrow National Guard from Ohio, and they would be able to go door to door, searching for guns, if so ordered, stopping citizens, searching them, arresting them, whatever. Now, THIS is a scary thought. It is crap like the seatbelt law that starts this. A foot in the door, camel's nose under the tent.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:44:15 PM EDT
Oh, yes, the seatbelt as a primary reason for a stop, that was passed shortly after.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:09:31 PM EDT
No, it should not be a law, but there should be a law that if you are injured while not wearing a seat belt or a helmet on a motorcycle, you are on your own, no treatment. I am tired of my insurance premiums being so high because of having to pay for those too stupid to do the above. I know that sounds harsh, and I am not trying to step on anyone's toes, but that's the way I feel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:52:43 PM EDT
Go ahead guys, don't use the belt. We got too many people anyway and this is good population control - kill off the stupid. We need to start requiring "population impact statements" whenever saving lives is discussed. No law can be passed to save lives without offsetting legislation for improved birth or immigration control.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:30:41 PM EDT
I pay about $2,300 a year in car insurance for my 4 door 88 chevy caprice that is over 100,000 miles.
View Quote
Christ, no wonder Warren Buffett is one of the richest men in the world. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:35:52 PM EDT
People who live in a sewer like NY should expect things like that. What is the life of a Vette on the streets there - 24hrs? Seems I have heard that's how long before they get ripped off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:38:41 PM EDT
As stated before, it was probably the insurance lobby that really got this passed in the legislature, just like they did the mandatory liability insurance laws for autos in most states. Wearing seatbelts = wise Pulling people over for not wearing seatbelts = unwise
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:38:56 PM EDT
The day they pass a law like that in PA is the day I will get my windows tinted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:39:06 PM EDT
Ya, this hacks me off too. I really like seeing all the signs "It's our law" for wearing seatbelts, but there's no helmet law. Y'ask me, if there's one law there should be the other (and if one law isn't in place, neither should the other be.) I usually wear my seatbelt, but I think it should be my choice. I haven't needed a nanny for a long time now, and I didn't vote for one (I usually vote for me since there isn't anyone else I trust on the ballot. You ever try to get a pol to discuss something with you?) FFZ
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:39:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MickeyMouse: Go ahead guys, don't use the belt. We got too many people anyway and this is good population control - kill off the stupid.
View Quote
Sounds good to me! Jamie
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 8:42:38 PM EDT by Lazyshooter]
Originally Posted By DefMan: I pay about $2,300 a year in car insurance for my 4 door 88 chevy caprice that is over 100,000 miles.
View Quote
[:O] Oh Lordy...you're gettin' ripped!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:11:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 11:13:57 PM EDT by Boom Stick]
"Click-it...or ticket!!" [size=4]yeah, whatever!! [moon][/size=4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:37:42 AM EDT
Gee, I LIKE the way the seatbelt holds me [u]into[/u] the seat while driving. I can't drive without one...
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:39:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lazyshooter: As stated before, it was probably the insurance lobby that really got this passed in the legislature, just like they did the mandatory liability insurance laws for autos in most states.
View Quote
Not only do the Insurance Rip-off artists make out, but so does the town. They make the money on the fines, but also all the other junk that may be found to be in violation during the stop. I always wear a seatbelt, but feel that it should be voluntary.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:01:28 AM EDT
Several people mentioned tinting their windows. In most states it's illegal to do unless it came from the factory that way. Ain't "Freedom American Style" great? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:16:13 AM EDT
Starting June 1st the cops will be able to pull you over and give you a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.
View Quote
We have had that here for a while. However, pickup trucks are exempt![img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif[/img] I love living here![img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:35:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2002 6:38:30 AM EDT by MickeyMouse]
The liability insurance law comment REALLY hit my button!! Either make the Ahole pay for my damages or let me shoot the jerk for free. I have had three cars totaled over the years by uninsured vermin. Anybody that can't buy insurance shouldn't drive. Needs to net you 364 days in the slammer on each offense. Some creep has a $50 car, no property, no job, no insurance. He runs into you (creeps rarely can drive either!) and either destroys $30000 worth of property or worse causes serious bodily injury resulting in half a million in medical bills! Put stickers on their cars that say "I am uninsured" we need more moving targets!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:42:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:01:57 AM EDT
Go out and restore I think it is pre 1964 most cars didn't have seatbelts if the car did not have seatbelts installed from the factory I don't think they would make you install them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:08:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2002 8:09:33 AM EDT by Lazyshooter]
Originally Posted By MickeyMouse: The liability insurance law comment REALLY hit my button!! Either make the Ahole pay for my damages or let me shoot the jerk for free. I have had three cars totaled over the years by uninsured vermin. Anybody that can't buy insurance shouldn't drive. Needs to net you 364 days in the slammer on each offense. Some creep has a $50 car, no property, no job, no insurance. He runs into you (creeps rarely can drive either!) and either destroys $30000 worth of property or worse causes serious bodily injury resulting in half a million in medical bills! Put stickers on their cars that say "I am uninsured" we need more moving targets!!
View Quote
MickeyMouse, I understand your anger about so many drivers not having liability insurance as I too have been hit by one of these pond scum and it was a very unpleasant experience. In fact, when I showed up in court on the day her appearance before the judge was to happen, she saw me sitting in the court room and bolted. Guess she knew what I was going to tell the judge about her driving abilities.[;)] I agree everyone should have liability insurance, but it irks me that the state and insurance companies are telling me this. Unless there is adequate consumer protection laws for the drivers in a given state with regard to the cost of this insurance, insurance companies could have free reign to charge anything they want for liability insurance. I also agree that there has to be more punishment for those that are involved in accidents w/o liability insurance. One problem I have with mandatory seatbelt laws is that although they save many lives, there are cicumstances (fire, vehicle going underwater, etc.) where people could lose their lives [i]because[/i] of seatbelts. I've read of many people who have had severe internal injuries and died because of the seatbelt. Although the above circumstances are rare, and seatbelts, though not perfect, do save many lives each day, their wear should be voluntary. Any lawyers out there know if you live in a state with mandatory seat belt use and aren't using a seatbelt and are in an accident with injuries, if your health insurance company can refuse to pay for your injuries?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:36:29 AM EDT
Ya those public service announcements are pissing me off. They state how many hundreds of cops will be out just to look for people who aren't wearing their seatbelts... well GOOD FOR YOU DUMBA$$ES... do you think that benefits me one bit? Why not crack down on moron drivers? Or car thiefs? Oh no... crack down on the guys who decide not to wear their seatbelt.. GOOD USE OF THE POLICE THERE MOTHERF#$@#$!!! I'm glad my tax dollars are going to something SOOOO worthwhile!! I know, next we can have a big crackdown on people who run and carry sharp objects. The police can peek in our windows and give tickets for this sort of dangerous behavior.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:33:05 AM EDT
platform389: 'We have had that here for a while. However, pickup trucks are exempt!' For now, anyways. Give it a few years & the Safety Fascists will close that 'loophole'. First seatbelts are mandatory, but only in cars & the cops can't pull you over for it. Then as part of some bipartisan compromise the truck exemption is deleted. Then a rider is attatched to an appropriations bill which allows the Stasi to pull you over for not being belted & while the stormtroopers have you they can go on a fishing trip looking for other BS infractions...."Yer paperz, pleaze...Ver are you going...." & they wonder why people don't like cops....
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:37:05 AM EDT
You should've made putting all belts on you as a child. Not a flame to anyone, but when I see people rushing to put your seatbelts on when there's a cop around I laugh. ITS THERE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:57:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2002 12:35:12 PM EDT by SNorman]
Originally Posted By MurderSHO45: You should've made putting all belts on you as a child.
View Quote
I have no idea what that means. Edited to add: You should not have made putting all tickets on me as an adult! All your seat belts are belong to us!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:18:58 PM EDT
"Click-it...or ticket"
View Quote
How much are they spending on these adds? Half the adds on any radio around here are about the upcoming increase in seatbelt patrols. How the hell can a cop see if you have a lap belt on????
Top Top