Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2002 9:29:19 AM EDT
OK, so we've been having some trash talking lately.  Let's try this for a few days.  If anybody here does tech support, you'll know what I'm talking about.  When you get that rude, ranting screaming email from the pissed off customer, and you feel like writing back just exactly where he can shove it, instead you go *overboard* on the niceties, to the point where you are cracking up laughing writing it and you know the dude gets even more pissed off because he was expecting a nasty email back.  My old boss was a master at this.  And good times were had by all.  Now, everyone can start by telling me where to shove it in the kindest way possible!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Gracious sir, while you might have a seemingly appropriate concept to use jovial wit as a literary weapon in combat against the communicative malaise demonstrated by the less than articulate members of this community; I would suggest that your approach is flawed as it requires an intellectual basis of thought by the recipient.

Might I suggest a less tactful, more blunt approach similar to the statements, "f**k you", or, "go f**k yourself". These generally require less mental capacity to comprehend.

(I didn't take any time to proofread for punctuation.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Ben Dover just showed [u]exactly[/u] the level of contempt I was referring to...

It's idiots like this that just can't seem to comprehend right from wrong! [pissed]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Clearly what we have here is a seat to keyboard interface problem…  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ben Dover just showed [u]exactly[/u] the level of contempt I was referring to...

It's idiots like this that just can't seem to comprehend right from wrong! [pissed]
View Quote

Contempt of what? The 'F' word?

You wouldn't be calling me an idiot for having used the 'f' word now would you Anti?

You call me an idiot and state that I don't know right from wrong?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My preference is just to ignore all the noise.  I felt like busting someone's chops this morning, but I just held my fire.  Not even air in a jug for this guy who blasted me, now and in the future.  It seems to work for me.  YMMV

{edited for clarity}
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#6]
BenDover = teh winnar!!!!!!!!11

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe if the Fourm Usage Policy link worked, you could point this out to us.

*hint* *hint*

Av.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not trying to win anything. I did read Tim's little rant on how bad this site is and for one, I disagree with him.

AR15.com is a media outlet comprising of a general public forum. The Black Rifle Convention is a separate industry event. If you are trying to promote the imposition of censorship because you think it reflects poorly upon your event, then you may as well not even have your event and should pile all your firearms up on the steps of the Capitol building with a petition to strike the 1st Amendment from the Bill of Rights. Oh yeah, you should also have a petition to strike the 2nd Amendment too since you won't be needing your rifles to defend the 1st Amendment anymore.

Anti, you spew out all this crap about civility and then you jump in and violate a site rule by personally calling me a name. Seems to fit your track record of hipocracy.

With all due respect of course.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Contempt of what? The 'F' word?

You wouldn't be calling me an idiot for having used the 'f' word now would you Anti?

You call me an idiot and state that I don't know right from wrong?
View Quote

Do you have any wimmins or chilrens in your life?  If so would you want them here?  Some do.  Many, with standards of decency, are forced to shield their loved ones from enjoying time here due to gutter language that they would bust you in the mouth for uttering in the presence of their wife/mother/child.  This is not just a bunch of guys talking--others are here too.  Please think about it.  TIA
View Quote

For the record, my wife talks like a Portuguese sailor, but she is also a well-respected senior executive in the insurance field, so no flippant comments about class distinction. Your standard may not be my standard and I sure as heck don't subscribe to anyone elses standard. Nor do I push my own on anyone else. I never said "thebeekeeper1, you have to say 'fuck' in order to be cool or accepted by me".

Anyone who would "bust me in the mouth" for using ANY form of language would be guilty of assault and probably also guilty of violating my civil rights to freedom of speech.

If foul language was such a problem, then all GB would have to do would be set a parameter in his administrative screens to implement a bad language filter, just like on 500,000,000 other forum websites.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
While a manager at a local large Ford Dealership, we were forced to 'clean up our act' and the first place cleaned was our language. The Ford Company 'facilitators' suggested the exact same technique that you are. They suggested the use of the phrase "Good for you", to be used as a replacement for any curse words or other foul language directed at others. Our intrepid sales people quickly figures out that the acronym from "Good for you", is the exact same acronym from "Go f@ck yourself". Our dealership was immediately awash with heartfelt "Good for you's" accompanied by a slight smirk. Upper mamagement and the Ford executives thought that we were incredible and gave us a plaque for the honor!

So, it is with my deepest feelings that I continue what you have started and extend a

[size=6]GOOD FOR YOU!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BenDover, as you seem to lack an accurate understanding of this concept, please be advised the 1st Amendment does NOT apply to private places, such as this site.
View Quote

Ummm. in previous arguments of this nature, I have actually been the one that very fact out.

Thanks for the refresher.

The concept that I think everyone is lacking the accurate understanding thereof it the fact that it's okay for Anti to go on a huge tirade about language and standards, yet he stoops to the very level of behavior he rants about.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummm. in previous arguments of this nature, I have actually been the one that very fact out.

Thanks for the refresher.

The concept that I think everyone is lacking the accurate understanding thereof it the fact that it's okay for Anti to go on a huge tirade about language and standards, yet he stoops to the very level of behavior he rants about.
View Quote

I have certainly been as guilty as anyone, from time to time.  I'm trying my best not to take stuff so seriously--it's just the frigging internet.  LOL  
View Quote

And so have I and likewise, so has AntiUSSA. I don't take any of it seriously.

I am just siting here bored at the office today trying to stir up some online controversy.

I love all you guys!

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
BenDover, your Sig Pic still freaks me out a bit. [BD]

Edited to say, "Can't we all just get along !!"
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
BenDover:  I referred to you as being an idiot because you "purposely" made a mockery of the initial post in this thread.  It was completely uncalled for, you you felt the necessity to do it anyway!

My associating this site with BRC was very real, as there will be a lot more traffic here when the BRC adds come out this week.  The reason for cleaning up the language around here should be obvious to most, but you seem to feel that you should have a special exemption.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BenDover:  I referred to you as being an idiot because you "purposely" made a mockery of the initial post in this thread.  It was completely uncalled for, you you felt the necessity to do it anyway!

My associating this site with BRC was very real, as there will be a lot more traffic here when the BRC adds come out this week.  The reason for cleaning up the language around here should be obvious to most, but you seem to feel that you should have a special exemption.
View Quote

Wow Tim, amazing powers of observation you have. Since when did sarcasm qualify for being an idiot since it is actually one of the higher forms of humor?

Honestly, I have read and reread the Code of Conduct and I have not been able to identify any specific regulation which prohibits profanity or vulgar language within the context of any post or reply.

But I have identified prohibitions against attacking other members.

[b][i]7) No personal attacks towards ANYONE. If you have a problem with someone, then take it offline with them. If it's with a member of the staff or a moderator, then contact someone from the Senior Staff. Attacking a person, ANY PERSON, in a non-joking manner (clearly visible as a joke) will not be tolerated. Joking and teasing are fine, but if you cross the line, apologize before things get worse. This includes provoking someone into an attack.
[/i][/b]

I would suggest that calling me an idiot qualifies as a personal attack in a non-joking fashion.

Secondly, I would also suggest that you relinquished your status as a moderator, yet you seem to want to impose your version of some sort of standard on the members.

Furthermore, you not only want to impose your standard, you have amazing powers of psychic non-ability since you state that I "purposely" made a mockery of this thread.

For you information, my dialogue with SNorman (not AntiUSSA) was in regard to his suggestion in how to handle a situation. My position was that certain people lack the mental capacity to understand a certain manner of gracious communication and that there are times when a plain old "fuck you" is indeed appropriate.

I am thinking one of those times is now.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#20]
BenDover:  I always wondered, is your handle an inunctive phrase or a descriptive phrase?

Howzat, SNorman? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Between the prude and the vulgar lies sanity.

Anti.. your taking all this too serious. You must really vibrate when someone plays "gansta" rap. (I cant stop laughing at the SHIT music)

Ben... In the future when you see a Anti post just know that certain vocab. will set him off on another rant. (With "grace" just nod and move on)

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BenDover:  I always wondered, is your handle an inunctive phrase or a descriptive phrase?

View Quote

It's actually a phrasal verb, specifically used as an interjection when addressing the female companion or mother of persons such as yourself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While a manager at a local large Ford Dealership, we were forced to 'clean up our act' and the first place cleaned was our language. The Ford Company 'facilitators' suggested the exact same technique that you are. They suggested the use of the phrase "Good for you", to be used as a replacement for any curse words or other foul language directed at others. Our intrepid sales people quickly figures out that the acronym from "Good for you", is the exact same acronym from "Go f@ck yourself". Our dealership was immediately awash with heartfelt "Good for you's" accompanied by a slight smirk. Upper mamagement and the Ford executives thought that we were incredible and gave us a plaque for the honor!

So, it is with my deepest feelings that I continue what you have started and extend a

[size=6]GOOD FOR YOU!![/size=6]
View Quote

Too funny!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gracious sir, while you might have a seemingly appropriate concept to use jovial wit as a literary weapon in combat against the communicative malaise demonstrated by the less than articulate members of this community; I would suggest that your approach is flawed as it requires an intellectual basis of thought by the recipient.

Might I suggest a less tactful, more blunt approach similar to the statements, "f**k you", or, "go f**k yourself". These generally require less mental capacity to comprehend.
View Quote

Well, FWIW - I thought is was funny.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Not only did I think it was funny, I thought it was exactly what the original post was calling for.  
View Quote

[size=5]WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!!![/size=5]

Sorry Anti... better luck next time. Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It's actually a phrasal verb, specifically used as an interjection when addressing the female companion or mother of persons such as yourself.
View Quote

Since *my* mom's dead, the interjection you'd probably need to use instead might be "RollOver".  

Just trying to help.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#28]
BWAAHAHAHAHAH dang guys.  I was serious! Ben Dover had a good one but then it just fell apart.  Oh well.  Everyone just go back to F**ing yourselves!! [:P]  Or, rather, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#29]
hey antiUSSA! A hearty "Good for you!" Way to go! Crack the whip!

Does anybody else remember when a certain loveable character from AR15.com-world  flipped out when a signed G. Gordon Liddy "Stacked and Packed" calendar didn't show up on time?????

C'mon now, might be time to check the med levels[:x]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

hehe nice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Not only did I think it was funny, I thought it was exactly what the original post was calling for.  
View Quote

View Quote

ALSO FWIW- I didn't think BenDover was out of line in any way and wonder if there was some animosity between Ben and Anti being carried over from another thread.

Otherwise, I know I've got more important things to do... BenDover's comments were in good jest. Chill already.

Anti, you stressed at work or something?

just my 2c.

edited to say Ben, your pic kinda give me the creaps...  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Since *my* mom's dead, the interjection you'd probably need to use instead might be "RollOver".  

Just trying to help.
View Quote

Almost... good try though. I did say female companion OR mother.

Your chosen response failed to address the first option you were presented, a female companion. Consequently, your failure to reference any female companion strongly indicates your only option in the presented statement was your deceased mother (my condolences by the way). This leads me to believe the female companion portion of the statement was irrelevant to your individual situation.

HMMMMMMMMM! Now what further conclusions could be derived from that analysis?

1. You are gay
2. You are repulsive to the female gender
3. You are psychologically maligned in a fashion to prohibit a normal relationship with a female

Shall I continue??

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
AR15.com is a media outlet comprising of a general public forum. The Black Rifle Convention is a separate industry event. If you are trying to promote the imposition of censorship because you think it reflects poorly upon your event, then you may as well not even have your event and should pile all your firearms up on the steps of the Capitol building with a petition to strike the 1st Amendment from the Bill of Rights. Oh yeah, you should also have a petition to strike the 2nd Amendment too since you won't be needing your rifles to defend the 1st Amendment anymore.
View Quote

Stop making sense!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

ALSO FWIW- I didn't think BenDover was out of line in any way and wonder if there was some animosity between Ben and Anti being carried over from another thread.

Otherwise, I know I've got more important things to do... BenDover's comments were in good jest. Chill already.

Anti, you stressed at work or something?

just my 2c.

edited to say Ben, your pic kinda give me the creaps...  
View Quote

OOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE!! Yeah people think my pic is pretty creepy. I have considered changing it but why would I want to give up the notoriety which has come along with it? If you have a formula for success then why tamper with it?

For the record, I don't have any substantive issue with Anti. I didn't before and I still don't. I think he gets a little overzealous (as we all do at times) and needs an antagonist to assist him with his perspective.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Just trying to help.
View Quote

Your chosen response failed to address the first option you were presented, a female companion. Consequently, your failure to reference any female companion strongly indicates your only option in the presented statement was your deceased mother (my condolences by the way). This leads me to believe the female companion portion of the statement was irrelevant to your individual situation.

1. You are gay
3. You are psychologically maligned in a fashion to prohibit a normal relationship with a female

Shall I continue??

View Quote

LOL too funny
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Just trying to help.
View Quote

1. You are gay

Shall I continue??

View Quote

You focus on what's important to *you*, and I'll concentrate on what matters to me.  Think alot about your sexuality, and that of others?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Might you assume a horizontal face down position and then place a Picea glanca up  your anal orifice. This will do great wonders in redirecting your attention.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Just trying to help.
View Quote

1. You are gay

Shall I continue??

View Quote

You focus on what's important to *you*, and I'll concentrate on what matters to me.  Think alot about your sexuality, and that of others?
View Quote

So what? Now you are Sigmund Freud?

Your conversational attempts to delve into my psychology are reminiscent of the feeble attempts to stammer some ad-libbed response to the professor’s startling question by a stereotypical fraternity kid trying to sleep off a hangover in class. How amusing.

It seems to me that you were the first one to take a shot at any sort of sexual innuendo when you jabbed at my moniker with your incomplete grammatical reference. Now you are getting your behind whooped in a verbal skirmish and you want me to "just worry about me and let you worry about you".

Now how am I supposed to stay compartmentalized when you follow up your suggestion with such an open ended question? You cannot even follow your own advice.

Now the lack of female companion makes sense. You earned Internet usage as reward for good behavior as part of your institutional therapy. All those medications have really awful side effects don't they.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#40]
We're kidding here, right?

My apologies for not being a better foil for your afternoon amusements.

More Fordyce than Freud, if we're talking about heroes and role models...  You?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Of course I am just having fun. You were an acceptable antagonist.

Would you be referring to D.D. James Fordyce? If we are referring to heros and role models, I have great difficulty in narrowing the top position to just one, but will do so for sake of dialogue. Balthaser Gracian.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#42]
While I applaud your effort to make the site friendly to newbies.   I have a problem with the peronality controls that your are trying to impose.  While I don't like F bombs  I don't think that I can tell some one what to say.  I could state that it is inappropriate  around womenz and childrenz & even some baptist preachers.  I realize that this is part of BenDover's personality.  Just check out his name that should be your first clue.
So once again I applaud your efforts.
"GOOD FOR YOU"
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Wasn't *quite* sure, got a litle edgy, there.  I don't normally discuss sexual habits and practices in person, let alone the internet.  Uptight, perhaps?

It's [u]Wilbert[/u] Fordyce (no, really)... a very smart and funny man with a hearing impediment (which actually made him even funnier).  One of his little quips was, "People with better things to do don't suffer so much."  That, and "information is a very low-grade way of changing behavior."  I really liked him.

This your guy?

Gracián, Baltasar

(bältäsär´ gräthyän´) (KEY) , 1601–58, Spanish Jesuit philosopher and writer. A scholar, satirist, and epigrammatist, Gracián frequently ran afoul of Jesuit authority. El héroe (1637) and El político (1640) are treatises on the ideal qualities for political leaders. Agudeza y arte de ingenio [the wit and art of genius] (1643) is an analysis of poetry. Oráculo manual y arte de prudencia (1647) contains maxims and instructions for acquiring worldly wisdom. Gracián’s masterpiece is the allegorical and pessimistic novel El criticón (3 parts, 1651–57), which contrasts an idyllic primitive life with the evils of civilization. It brought him exile and disgrace.
View Quote

Cool!  I admire your depth.  Me, I'm too lazy and too stupid to work my way through such things.  Straight as an arrow, just lazy and stupid.

I'm sure I, too, would appreciate any satirist that gets exiled for his ideas.  Tell me more...
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This post above is complete [b]bull shit![/b]

BenDover's post was actually quite intellectual and funny (if you have a sense of humor that is). Not only that, SNorman asked for it in the last sentence of his post, or did you even read that Anti?

Who the hell died and made you God anyways? Also, who elected you to decide what is right or wrong for us to post? I also love the way to complain about the attitudes of other members and people not showing respect right before you call someone else and "idiot".

Hypocrisy at it's best!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#50]
benDover,

entertaining series of posts, this one. although not as funny as when i checked your user profile out of curiosity, and saw a dude wearing a skirt!! thats not you is it? even funnier because i saw that guy on TV this morning on that male version of "The View" show. so is it you? i need to know.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top