Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2002 7:21:54 PM EDT
Surveillance cameras showed a man (young white male) aiming his rifle at the teller.  When LEO's arrived he shot the male and female officers before they returned fire killing him.  The clarity of the picture was not the greatest but the weapon was clearly an AR-15/M-16 type.  Eye witness identified the weapon as an AK-47.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh boy, the antis are going to eat this up.  Got a link?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Eye witness identified the weapon as an AK-47.
View Quote

Don't they always?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
always provide a link.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Rut-ro Rorge!

What are the chances that something like this is going to happen in the weeks before 9/04....  [rolleyes]

Isn't it funny how dozens of bank robberies basically go unnoticed, but when an AR15 is used, all of a sudden it's front page news.  Like a bank robbery with a shotgun is okay?

(And if the isn't front page news yet, maybe I should STFU!  [:)] )
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Eye witness identified the weapon as an AK-47.
View Quote

Which precisely why eye witnesses are worth dick to investigators and prosecutors.  Most eye witnesses disagree, are easily led, and misidentify what they "saw."
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.newschannel5.com/
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.newschannel5.com/[/url]
View Quote

I'm not a URL natzi, I swear!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.newschannel5.com/
View Quote
[url]www.newschannel5.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]

[url]http://www.newschannel5.com/[/url]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow! The article didnt jump all over the fact that it was a black rifle!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
You can also access this at www.wkrn.com.  They have a video report with the police commander on the scene describing the events.  Apparently this individual had two rifles, and left one of them at the first bank robbery.  Bank surveilance clearly shows AR15 type rifle.  No report on if he had a different rifle at the other robbery, which may explain the AK-47 reports from some people.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like an M4.  Please let him be a convicted violent felon or an AWOL soldier with stolen US property.  Please, please, please.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.newschannel5.com/news/0205/06/suspect.jpg[/img]

[b]So the bank robber has good taste. What's the big deal? Be it an AR or an AK or a single shot bolt action .22LR, they're all "machineguns" or "assault rifles" to the know-nothings.[/b]

***Notice the two mags taped together?***
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
More importantly notice he DOESNT have his finger on the trigger.  Did he hand out on this board?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
By the way he has his magazines taped and one upside down he is definetely a amateur.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]
What an asshole. I cant believe he decided to use an AR to commit (at least one) of these crimes. The idiots are really going to have a field day with that picture as well. Geeez. Dickhead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow! The article didnt jump all over the fact that it was a black rifle!
View Quote

Well, they sure seemed clueless though.  They have a picture right on the front page showing obviously an AR15, and they say this:

"He was carrying a long-gun, either a rifle or a shotgun."

Them thar noos guys ar shore smart.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Orig posted by Matthew:I hope they throw away the key on this low life or public execution would be nice in the town square.

I think he did get the public execution in the town square option.  He's got coins on his eyes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Did it have an evil bayo lug and flash hider?
I couldn't tell by the pics.

Thats why the gun didn't kill the cops.  Cuz it's been stripped of it's evil features.

Good job by the LEO's.  May they have a fast recovery.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope they throw away the key on this low life or public execution would be nice in the town square.
View Quote

Would BURRYING him be considered throwing away the key? [;)] He's dead, the cops killed him in cold blood! [:K]

JK!!  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Well Its a good thing we banned Bayonets becuase if had one on there he surly would of hurt someone. Also the next this we should ban is Banks. Those places are looking for trouble all that money in one place is trouble waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]
By the way is that a dirty sock he used to stick the mags together.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess that I don't think that it's unreasonable to consider this newsworthy:

The man robbed two banks, engaged in a "good, old-fashioned gun fight between good guy and bad guy" (at roughly high noon), and was shot down by the police.  Doesn't seem to be much emphasis on the gun.  Doesn't seem to be much emphasis on the trench coat, either (this is meant to be tragically lighthearted).  I guess that aside from the crimes, this story is news worthy due to the outrageous stupidity of the man alone.  Haven't seen any mention of this on CNN, nor on any National or international news.  Pipe bombs get more attention than AR's, thank heavens.  

We'll see if there are any knee-jerk reactions in the days to come, and I wouldn't be suprised if there were; but I think that there's no reason to get bent out of shape at this point.  Best of luck and wishes of rapid recoveries to anyone affected in this terrible incident.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#26]
lol I guess between working to much and being focused on the fact that he used an AR15 I forgot all about he is room temperature.

Can we drag him around the town square for a while or just hang him in the town square for a while by the sock he tied the magazines together.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#27]
And JUST fot the record....

If/When the ANTIS at work ask.......

He WAS using a black [b]AK-47[/b].....

[thinking]

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
FWIW, I wouldn't sweat at all any sort of reaction from anti's here in Nashville as there's practically none at all. Thank goodness.

Even the Dem candidate for Gov, former Nashville mayor, has bought ammo from me!!! :)

I haven't yet heard all of the details but will provide color as it goes along.

Also, the female anchor of the NBC station here is a CCL holder. TN has it a bit better than most states.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice Headgear

[b]So the bank robber has good taste. What's the big deal? Be it an AR or an AK or a single shot bolt action .22LR, they're all "machineguns" or "assault rifles" to the know-nothings.[/b]

***Notice the two mags taped together?***[/quote]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]
looks like a post ban to me
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
By the way he has his magazines taped and one upside down he is definetely a amateur
View Quote

If they are not held side by side then that's how you would want to do it, actually...
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I am amazed at how the media here hasn't gone totally anti-gun over this ......yet.

One eye witness on the news last PM said "soon as I heard it, I knew it was an automatic weapon"     Bozo.

The paper in Nashville, The Tennessean,  (makes the USA Today look conservative!!!) indentified the rifle as an "automatic rifle".  They later said the BATF said it was legally purchased in Kalifornia.

Looks like the cops that got shot are going to be ok.  They are the first Brentwood cops ever shot.   Just goes to show that you can get popped anywhere.  Brentwood is an upscale bedroom community just outside Nashville.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I can not think of one good reason to tape your magazines with one at the other end instead of side by side. First if you got in the prone position you would have problems with clearance between gun and ground. Second, you are exposing the rounds to be in the dirt and other debris. Third you take the chance of damaging feed lips on bottom magazine. Fourth, you take the chance of partially stripping of rounds though unlikely off magazine causing a misfeed.

When I was in the Army and everything else I know there is no good reason to have a spare magazine in this fashion as this toad did. In the Army we would put a spare side by side using a dip can in-between magazine and then taking 100mph tape to tape magazines together.

There is a right way and a wrong way and he did it the moron way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#35]
That was an AK-47 with the AR option package:  AR buttstock, AR carry handle and sights, AR barrel, AR receiver, AR handguards, and AR magazines.  Good thing it was an AK.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I heard that POS was wanted in Kalifornia for similar holdups.  Probably raised there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Note that the two cops were hit in the limbs, and both lived.  One is even home already.  Although we often like to theorize on this site that the .223 is a real death ray, only a CNS hit will for sure stop an opponent and the round is pretty innefective when there is not enough tissue present for it to tumble.  There being less room for error than with some other rounds, accurate shooting is incredibly important with an AR-15.

Anyway, I am glad the cops are OK and that the robber is dead.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That was an AK-47 with the AR option package:  AR buttstock, AR carry handle and sights, AR barrel, AR receiver, AR handguards, and AR magazines.  Good thing it was an AK.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

STOP! you are making my sides HURT!

Also, what kinda tape is that on the mags, I never saw white duck tape before?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone besides me think it's unusual for BATF to have completed a trace on a firearm BY THE VERY NEXT DAY?

They claim it was legally bought in CA. I thought CA banned all ARs? No doubt this jackass deserved what he got but there seem to be pecularities (SP?) in this.

So far, no anti backlash.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I heard that POS was wanted in Kalifornia for similar holdups.  Probably raised there.
View Quote

Hey! Hey! Hey!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#41]
The latest seems to be this nimrod was a former prison guard. Another sign that Gordon Liddy's correct about guards!!!  >gg<

Apparently he was also a prime example of "suicide by cop". Authorities are trying to find out why a CA nut chose Nashville to do his thing. Apparently he thought the cops shot better here?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Probably an Elvis fan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
More importantly notice he DOESNT have his finger on the trigger.  Did he hand out on this board?
View Quote

First thing I noticed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#44]
How about a different spin on this situation?  He used an assault weapon in a crime and didn't kill a large number of people and then was himself killed.  I guess they can't be as evil as the morons want to lead the sheep to believe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Not only that, but I thought AR's were banned in Kali. Then again, I don't go out of my way to follow Kali "law". I'm just glad the LEO's survived, mostly because I'm glad they survived, but also because if they had been killed the media WOULD be all over this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top