Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 2:04:54 PM EDT
I am (finally!) in the final stages of finishing my basement.  I have installed a bar, which is oak...including the bar surface as well as the arm rest surrounding the bar.  For what it is worth...I used oak flooring for the bar surface.

The arm rest is getting satin polyurethane, whilst the surface is getting gloss.  How many coats are necessary?  I currently have three on each...and I think one more ought to do it for the arm rest...but what about the bar surface?  How many for adequate protection and appearance for the "high friction" areas.  While I am at it, below at the base of the bar is a footrest...again made of oak...like a curb.  How many coats of the satin on that?  The footrest currently has two on it.

AR-15.com...the source of all knowledge...

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on how many beers you spill...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you thought about a Marine epoxy finish? You can build it up deep, and just lightly sand over the years and refinish. Was a really good finish on table topes I had in the 70's in LA (read that Calif).
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's really pretty subjective.  Once you have a couple of coats, the wood is as "sealed" as it is going to be with a finish.  If you're trying to build a finish up, you have to remember that the thicker the finish film, the weaker it is.

In other words, if you build a finish up to 6 mils thick, it will be weaker (in cross section) than a 3 mil thick build.  Maximum thickness/strength varies between different types of finishes, too.

Follow the directions for the finish you're using, and keep the finished surfaces waxed.  The wax lessens the friction on the surface and that is what causes finishes to wear through.

Feel free to IM me if you have questions.

Jeff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top