Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 4:52:51 PM EDT
I need a low end gas powered string trimmer that hopefully will last a few years.

What brand works for you?  

Ryobi, Poulan, Craftsman, Homelite....?..?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
a manly man reaches for a stihl!

i have an old mccullach (sp) that's has lasted for 8 years...but i think the company may be out of business.

gotta say homelite, based on their excellent, cheap chainsaws. i have a homelite saw that's gotta be over 20 years old, and it still cuts as well as my stihl.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an Echo, it's been working great for 4 years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Stihl chainsaw and it is awesome.
I had a Stihl cordless trimmer and it was a POS. Had it into the dealer several times.

I really dont know about what is best for the $$.

What about Eager Beaver? Gotta like the name.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
When you buy power tools spend the extra money and get a good one that will last.  I highly recommend a Echo or a Husqvarna.  I have had the same Echo for over 9 years and haven't had one problem.  My father has a Husky and loves it, but buy a big one, becasue the little ones are built by Poulan aka JUNK.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Do not buy a box store brand. Echo or Stihl are both very good products. Whatever you buy, make sure there is a servicing dealer in your area. Having something you have to send off to have worked on just to save a few $$ isn't woth the bother. Echo has a one or two year warranty against materials and workmanship. I would imagine Stihl has a similar one.

If you purchase one, be sure to run it enough to make it worth your while. My worst customer is a homeowner with piece of two cycle equipment.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing I think helps a lot with 2 strokes is to use fresh gas, measure your oil accurately, and make sure it's mixed before you pour into the tool.  Also, if it looks like it will be more than a week before you use the tool again, drain the fuel back into the jug & run the tool until it dies from lack of fuel.

I have an Echo chainsaw, 26 years old, and she starts on the 2nd pull every time.  Air filters, plugs, bars and chains, and maybe an occasional sprocket are all she's needed.

I've used Echo and Stihl weed wackers and brush cutters, and I'd recommend either.  Choice boils down to dealer support level (NOT a big box dealer) in your neck of the woods.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
^
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I posted the same topic about a month ago and Echo came up as being a good choice.

In my case, the problem is the closest dealer is 75 mile away!

I'm probably buy a Sears or some crap like that because they're close.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top