Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 1:30:04 PM EDT
When buying a new gun you have to pay tax then DOJ fee which is around $20 and that is it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I THINK the dealers have been told to add the cost of the gun and the DOJ fee, and then calculate the sales tax.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably, more money for the government weird that you are paying taxes for fee that you are paying to the government.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think also, the gun store is suppose to sell you a trigger lock for you gun if you don't have a safe, and you must a statement that you have a gun safe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to even mention the fact that gun prices (especially pistol) are way out of line here anyway.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not to even mention the fact that gun prices (especially pistol) are way out of line here anyway.

-hanko
View Quote

I think it is due to the fact that Calif require the gun manufacturers to give them 3 guns to be totally destroyed to be able to prove to demonstrate that it is not a Sat. Nite Spl. One thing for sure, if you buy new guns from a gun store they will not decrease, if the gun store is going to stay in business.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah know whats stupid is I have a bunch of trigger locks and they still make you buy one. I have a cable lock on one of my ammo boxes and if my life ever depended on getting that lock off I would be screwed!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
[/quote]
"I think it is due to the fact that Calif require the gun manufacturers to give them 3 guns to be totally destroyed to be able to prove to demonstrate that it is not a Sat. Nite Spl. One thing for sure, if you buy new guns from a gun store they will not decrease, if the gun store is going to stay in business."[/quote]

I'm thinking that the mfr gives 3 guns to the prk that maybe cost 700 dollars each.  They then sell maybe 500 guns to prk citizens.  That should add a little over 4 bucks each to the sticker price.  Add another $15 to cover paperwork costs, and you're still looking at only around a $20 increase.  Most guns here are WAY over that, I think it's more a matter of the distributors and stores raping and pillaging.

Since I'm in a moan mode, tell me why powder is about 35 per cent more than in a liberal gun state (e.g., TX).  I left there 2 years ago with most powder running in the high-teens.  Looked at 748 last week in the bay area and it's almost $30(wtf??) a pound.  Bozo in the gunstore..."guess it's the ups fee" (hazmat), maybe so, but hazmat covers up to 70 or 80 pounds in a box.  Primers are $20 per thousand.
Glad I'm leaving.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Hanko,  The main reason for prices being higher in one area compared to another is usually the cost of the realastate that the store is on.  I can garantee that any store in the bay area is paying alot more in rent then a store in Texas.

Cost is an important factor in me buying guns in California, but more importantly is all the stupid ass laws.  Next year we will be requirred to submit a thumb print before a pistol purchase.  I only have a few more handguns that I really want, but I doubt I will be buying anymore here in Cal after the first of next year.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I wont be buying anymore handguns after the first of the year either
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wont be buying anymore handguns after the first of the year either
View Quote

Me too.  I'm kinda concerned for the dealers as a lot of people I know feel this way.  I have been on quite the spree this year though. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Sh*t, that reminds me. The only handgun I bought this year was a 1911 and I need a few more before the 1st.

I'm thinking,

Wilson CQB
Maybe a Kimber
1-2 Sigs
A couple of revolvers (something fun like a .357 and a .44 mag)
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the main reason CA has sky high prices on handguns is because all the AR and AK shit etc. can no longer be sold in the vast wasteland.  A shitload of lost revenue for dealers.

It must be hard for the dealers to survive on mainly handguns and bolt rifles.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, guns are expensive.

I just bought a HK USP 45 full size. It cost me $953.xx with taxes and fees. You should see all of the fees tacked onto it. DOJ, DOJ "equipment" fee, Cable lock, DROS, etc...

I was thinking of trying to get what I can get this year but may make a few purchases after the first of the year... not sure yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top