Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 3:26:31 PM EDT
I'm going up into the Possum Kingdom for a few days of silence, hiking, fishing, and camping.

I will be lightly armed with only enough provisions to fill a backpack.

Im logging off to goto CTD and Acadamy for a few supplies.

If you do not hear from me on Monday, please send reinforcements.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
DUDE,
dont worry, go out and enjoy..
If we dont hear from you by monday, we will simply activate your govt implanted chip, and you be back behind your keyboard with the hour ( after they probe you, no, thats not part of the recovery package but the guy there just likes to do it..[;)].. so dont get lost !!!!!1)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Be careful Eric [>]:)] is out there in the panhandle somewhere.

Bob        [smoke]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just returned, no fatalities.

Well, I did'nt get to leave Friday but managed to depart Saturday around noon. Since I left later than what I originally planned, I went to Mineral Wells by some state land next to the Military training base.

Two days full of what sounded like .30 & .50cal full auto bursts [:D] [:D] [:D] in the background.
I figured this be good since I could let a few rounds go without upsetting the Ranger, (but I did'nt). [:D]

I hiked in 2.5miles with a internal frame backpack in excess of 80lbs and other SWAT duffle that was probably an extra 20lbs.
It was a hard 2.5 miles. Every time I over pack and never learn my lesson.

Lots of 'Yotes singing on early Saturday night until one [b]NASTY[/b] T-storm came in and pounded my tent from 1am to 5am. The winds were not to bad but, the rain and thunder was intense. I had to install some of those mylar space blankets between the rain cap and the tent to keep myself from drowning.

I had the GPS on throught both days and logged 6miles of weighted hiking (terrain is pretty flat) and 4 miles of scouting. Nothing too major but, I am sore at the moment.

I spotted a tick on my leg on the way out, and after I got home I found another which was imbedded right under my fround belt line [:(].  I removed the parasite with a tweesers. I managed to get him out without leaving hid head in me,(I have practice at this). It was a "Lone Star Tick" so I dont have to worry about Lyme disease (I think). I probably picked him up on the way out also.

I did not see any HUNS on my trip.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Have Fun
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I had lyme disease a few years ago so I get a lot of information on it and try to keep up with it. Lyme is not only carried by deer ticks but has been found in dog ticks and a few other species. Keep an eye on the bite spot, if it gets circles around it to where it looks like a bullseye target, or you start having flu symptoms with a high fever, go see your doctor. Chances are your fine but it doesn't hurt to be careful.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had lyme disease a few years ago so I get a lot of information on it and try to keep up with it. Lyme is not only carried by deer ticks but has been found in dog ticks and a few other species. Keep an eye on the bite spot, if it gets circles around it to where it looks like a bullseye target, or you start having flu symptoms with a high fever, go see your doctor. Chances are your fine but it doesn't hurt to be careful.
View Quote

Thanks, My father had it also. I rememeber the bullseye target.

I rememeber all the "wives tales" on how to remove a embedded tick...... They supposidly would back out from the application of gasoline, vasoline, heated tweasers, match, etc. I guess the vasoline would suffercate them into wanting to leave the host.
I also heard that applying heat makes them squirt garbage back into your insides.

Do you have any thoughts on the best way to get them out?

I would always have to pick them off my Lab.

I found patience and a tweasers heated under a lighter to be the best....just gently tug until the unattach.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Tweezers are about the best. There is a tick removal kit that the sell in some sporting goods departments like at Wal-Mart. It's not very expensive and comes with a magnifying glass to make sure you got the head out. From what I have read alcohol or heat can make them puke up into you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, I did'nt get to leave Friday but managed to depart Saturday around noon. Since I left later than what I originally planned, I went to Mineral Wells by some state land next to the Military training base.

Two days full of what sounded like .30 & .50cal full auto bursts [:D] [:D] [:D] in the background.
I figured this be good since I could let a few rounds go without upsetting the Ranger, (but I did'nt). [:D]
View Quote

I'll bet you did hear some shooting!  That's old Fort Wolters at Mineral Wells.  Part of it is developed into an industrial park and part is still administered by the National Guard.  I was there two weekends ago doing recce on the shooting ranges for possible future events.

Wolters has multiple shooting ranges still active.  The longest is 1000 yards and has pits.  Marines and Army were doing quals while I was there so NG still has full control.  There is a Ft. Wolters Shooting Club that uses the long range on a regular basis.

During Viet Nam, Wolters was a helicopter training base.  There's currently an armor detachment on premise with a couple of rows of M1 Abrams and support vehicles.

Wolters is a big place.  My mother and I used to stay downtown at the big old Baker Hotel when dad was doing duty there in the 1950's.

We're working to see if we can get access to the range.  It's a nice setup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll bet you did hear some shooting!  That's old Fort Wolters at Mineral Wells.  Part of it is developed into an industrial park and part is still administered by the National Guard.  I was there two weekends ago doing recce on the shooting ranges for possible future events.

Wolters has multiple shooting ranges still active.  The longest is 1000 yards and has pits.  Marines and Army were doing quals while I was there so NG still has full control.  There is a Ft. Wolters Shooting Club that uses the long range on a regular basis.

During Viet Nam, Wolters was a helicopter training base.  There's currently an armor detachment on premise with a couple of rows of M1 Abrams and support vehicles.

Wolters is a big place.  My mother and I used to stay downtown at the big old Baker Hotel when dad was doing duty there in the 1950's.

We're working to see if we can get access to the range.  It's a nice setup.
View Quote

Arock,
I spent some time scouting the parameter of the base. On my way out I drove around the Industrial park for about an hour looking at all the old buildings and vechicles.

I would say that the private industry part appears to be suffering. I passed on taking a dip in the Wolter's pool, if ya know what I mean. [:D]
On Saturday it looked like private civialians were just shooting in the pits. One 1000 yrd station had a lawn chair and a range scope set up but was unoccupied at the moment.

Let me know what I would need to do to possibly get a pass to use the 1000yrd range. Could you fill me in on why each station is numbered (at the targrt end) from 1 to 40???
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Arock,
I spent some time scouting the parameter of the base. On my way out I drove around the Industrial park for about an hour looking at all the old buildings and vechicles.

I would say that the private industry part appears to be suffering. I passed on taking a dip in the Wolter's pool, if ya know what I mean. [:D]
On Saturday it looked like private civialians were just shooting in the pits. One 1000 yrd station had a lawn chair and a range scope set up but was unoccupied at the moment.

Let me know what I would need to do to possibly get a pass to use the 1000yrd range. Could you fill me in on why each station is numbered (at the targrt end) from 1 to 40???
View Quote

The numbers are for each shooting position.  There are pits (butts) under the impact berm with target frames that are manually raised to present a target then lowered to score/repair/replace the target.  Each number on the impact berm has a target frame under it (you can't see the target until it's raised).  So there are positions for forty shooters at a time.

Working the pits is part of any match at a range with pits.  You shoot a relay then you (or someone you designate) works the pits for a relay (or more).  Working in the pits each shot goes a few feet over your head.  You're safe because there's a thick berm in front and the target frames are made of wood so there's minimal chance of ricochet from an errant shot.  It's sorta fun down there as there's a sonic "crack" as each shot passes over your head.  And you watch the impact berm to see if the shot was made on "your" target (so you'll know when to lower your target to score the shot).  You stay close to the wall behind you but it's really safe there.  Different kind of duty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top