Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2002 2:39:45 PM EDT
It is proven AR15.com GD is better than a google search. So...

How does one dig a well for sprinklers without spending buttloads of cash by hiring somebody?

Getting tired of buying a new lawn every year...

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest a shovel.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking for a little more detail, ie the Idiots Guide To Pounding.

Pound with what for instance. Would love a basic step by step as you seem to know the subject.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I suggest a shovel.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Not sure how I'd connect a electric sprinkle pump to a big ass hole...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest a shovel.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Not sure how I'd connect a electric sprinkle pump to a big ass hole...
View Quote

Well, first you'd have to knock him out or tie him down, I'd think.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of "rent all" type places can set you up with the stuff to pound your own. (a tool like he described above)

You need to buy a sand point which is like section of pipe with a tough tip that allows water to seep into it.

You can start driving that thing down into the ground and then attach sections of pipe as it goes down.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I am confussed. Do you want to "dig a well" or "Pound your own"?  Each thing involves two completely differant tools......unless you know something I don't.[;)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
MY GOD MAN....!!!

you live in Fla., when i lived there, Wellborn, we had water 4 feet under our toesies....

a shovel is useless in Fla. the sides will cave in faster than you'll be able to shovel......

pounding in a well point takes lots of muscle & at least a 12 lb. sledge hammer.....

my uncle drilled a well near Live Oak using a portable drilling machine he rented..., but, that was 30+ years ago............
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I help out in 1.3G professional fireworks shows. We made a rig that uses black powder to drive the 3"-6"x 2foot mortars into the ground. No digging required. I suppose I could adapt it for SA needs [:D]

Seriously, if you can get away with a sand-point in your area, this is what we did. The redneck way of driving a well.
Purchase the pipe and sandpoint
Rent the tripod and driving weights
Set up the rig
Weld two 10” truck wheels together, make sure to retain access to the lugs on the inner wheel
Jack up your full-size 4x4 about 15ft from the rig
Remove the front wheel, disconnect PS belt, lock steering wheel.
Install redneck welded wheel
Put in 4x4 low and bump up the idle
Run the rope from the rig to the wheel.
Wrap the rope around 3x. Pull out slack to lift driving weights, relax to release.

We pounded 115’ of pipe in.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Waldo, I'm gonna go look for a well point and drive cap this weekend.

However, I don't have a means to weld pipe, etc.

Get me through this and your next gun is at cost...

And the underground water collection system is WAY beyond me.

I may have to do this alone BUT I do own a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe you can rent a Hydra Drill from somewhere

[url]http://www.deeprock.com/hydra%20drill%20main.htm[/url]

Well tutorial online:
[url]http://www.lifewater.ca/ndexdril.htm[/url]
View Quote

Already looked into that. No DICE. Can't find a rental driller anywhere. A few services, but you gotta do code and zoning, etc.

I'm thinking Saturday job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Steyr, where in FL do you live? I've been known to work for beer............
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Fill a 2 liter pop bottle with gasoline, or gun powder (your choice)... seal it off... then poke a hole in the cap, and stick a fuse in there.

Burry the pop bottle in the dirt until it's covered but you can still see the fuse...

Light the fuse and run...

That outta give you a nice big hole!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey Steyr, where in FL do you live? I've been known to work for beer............
View Quote

Boward County
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I lived in Fla most of my life and being an Environmental Engineer have put in hundreds of wells for remediation purposes.  I also have tried to put in wells for water supply purposes on my own land.

Be careful of trying to "pound" a well.  You will work like a SOB and never get the yield you want.

There are two sources of groundwater in Florida.  The Surficial Aquifer and the Floridian Aquifer.  Pounding a well will only get you to the surfical.  The water able will rise and fall with the rainy season.  It will provide good yield during the wet months when you don't need it and it will provide poor yields in the dry season when you really need it.  For a reliable source you really need to go down to the Floridian (in Central and North Fla)  aquifer to get any reliable yield.  Unless you live next to a swamp that is wet during the dry season I would not waste my time putting in a shallow well.

The best thing is to hire a well digger.  They know the underground hydrology for your area and can put in something that will work. Otherwise you will be spending several weekends busting your balls and not having a well that will keep your lawn from dying.  (I'm speaking from experience)  They also know to develop a well so that the yield will be adequate.  You should be able to get a well with pump for about 2.5-3K.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I would think you would have to check your city codes to see if you can drill a new well.  Where i live you can use an old well that is allready grandfathered in,but no new wells.   If you can do it a well digger here charges about 5.00 a foot,caseing gravel, and I had to go 200ft to get good water.  

The rental jobs (that you say you can't get)don't really drill a large enough hole for you to put a 3/4 to 1hp sub pump into anyway.

Same would probably be true for anything you could drive into the ground with a sledge. With a pro well digger you would be promoting the local econo plus end up with a 4inch well caseing with alum cap to cover your pvc,or black pipe and elec line to your sub pump.

And then you got to think about all the work you are putting on the guy(bet thats not you)that has to cut all this green stuff you will promote.  But then again breeze over amber waves of grain is much better than sand blowing into your steyraugs.

Just a thought.   Bob       [^]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Flash66, sounds like I'm back to spending buttloads of cash hiring somebody.

Plus I'm not even sure I could get zoning approval to hire professionals.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Where do you live?  It should not be problem.  If I remember correctly the Water Management Districts did not require a permit for wells for home water supply.

Again, if the water is avaiable then these well diggers with the right rig can do it very cheap.  If you live in Central Florida I can give you a couple of names.  I'm talking rednecks from Bartow with low overhead rates.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#24]
RAF    Thats not what makes things the way they are.   When people just conform to their exsisting peramitors they never challenge just go with the flow,and those that challenge and try to make the world revolve around their needs are the real earth shakers.  

These are the people that bring about change,can't jump out of a moving plane,well dupont proved us wrong, In reply about the Fla problem of water, Drill you a well Aug I think its good to Dream ,maybe you can just do it.

I'm rooting for you,I'll pen-pay you ten bucks, Go for it!

Bob       [smoke]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where do you live?  It should not be problem.  If I remember correctly the Water Management Districts did not require a permit for wells for home water supply.

Again, if the water is avaiable then these well diggers with the right rig can do it very cheap.  If you live in Central Florida I can give you a couple of names.  I'm talking rednecks from Bartow with low overhead rates.
View Quote

South Florida. Broward County.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't you guys have lawns in rhode I,  To me my lawn is the only lawn that counts.   We (you moderators) keep slamming Aug about posts with no real matter and then when he posts one that does mean something(with out panty hose I might add) You tell him (unquote) If you elect to live in the barron waist then so be it.

This all goes back to I believe that none of you guys actually have children,and I may be wrong here.

When you(moderators) parents have children,and the children(members) squable,fight and in general just pinch each other at every avalible chance, how do you handle this in the real world.

Well you have two children that just won't leave each other alone,you lose your cool tell them to just leave each other alone, and steyr just don't look at ussar,and ussar don't look at steyr.

And I've looked back at many posts and have seen where Anti just jumped in to start that open wound up,and steyr did just as child would do and the war was on.

If you substitute the word child with man then you get the same reaction, And men as with children,and as dogs get real wild with the electronic eye contact.

So why don't we just quit pokeing each other and needing old dad(moderator)to come in and call the whole picnick off.  So Tim I really don't know you,but I have seen your contibutions to the BRC ,and know you really care about others.

And steyr you are a very articulate and verbose(one is pretty much of the other),but with guys like you,and Tim you must be kept stored apart much like lighted matches and gasoline.

So when you guys get together you will most likely need a mod(fire-unit) to quelch the flames.  So Anti please keep your match,away from Augs gasoline.  

Thanx Bob      [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I suggest a shovel.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait, what the hell happened?!?

It was like a simple "home improvement" post and now it's a ruckus...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a rukas just a post to you should live in whats avalible, and a simple observance.

Bob           [argue]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Steyr, you live between 1-2 hours south of me. In your area you can probably get fair water at 40' and ample water at 75'. I would ask several commercial drillers for an estimate. If you have a couple of friends, you can pound a well in less than a day's work. If you can rent a rig, make a party of it. Fire up the grill or smoker and have a blast.

A commercial guy will probably want to install the pump. If you do it on your own, you can pick up a shallow well pump at one of the box/builder stores.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not a rukas just a post to you should live in whats avalible, and a simple observance.

Bob           [argue]
View Quote

Did somebody post something then delete it?

If not I'm totally confused.

I didn't take issue with ANYONE for any reason on this topic. Just trying to get some assistance on a home project like many other AR15.commers do every day.

Just trying to figure out why moderator (Dad) said he had to come here and break something up...

What did I miss?

Can't leave this board for a minute, damn.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Well if I confused steryaug isn't that like counting coupe on an apache?

If you need help on your well ,let me know.

bob            [beer]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Now let me ask a very basic (ie stupid) question.

As I understand it I'm hammering a pipe or similar object into the ground to a depth of 75' and then gonna replace (?) the object with a pipe with a 4" diameter (?).

Now the open end of the pipe down there at 75', will it be in some kind of unlimited subteranian supply of water?

I once heard you have to run a hose down the pipe to kind of blow the area out and create a pooling area for water.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Dood!!!!!!! You ain't going to four inches unless you need mucho water. In that case, start heading to the 300 foot mark. Inch and a half or so is what you will be working with. Hit Google and do a search, or talk to one of the local pounders.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Scrubj     Has the right answer you can have the well drilled or blown in,then you can put in any kind of pump you want,where i live its got to be sub, wont freeze.  Where you live it could be a jet-pump but would take up a lot of above ground space.  But the driller doesn't have to install the pump or the supply line as you can do all of this yourself

Unless you are really lucky you won't have an artisian well and you will have to pump it to your grass. Find a good well driller and talk barter maybe,then the only cost will be the pump.pipe,elect line,breakers so on.    

You didn't miss anything,I just wanted to draw attention that you do post useful posts.  But you could put panty-hose on your well cap to keep grass clippings out of the alum cap when mowing.    Bob         [:)]  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#38]
If you go 1 inch or 1and1/2 you will need a jet punp to pick up the water and disperse it where you need it,that will need a foot valve which will be bigger than 1and 1/2 inches.  My question is how are you going to get this foot valve and pipe down this small hole?  Well i quess the foot valve is not all that big.

But if you have to pay to blow this well in why not make it something you could hook your generator up to and have water when others don't.  Anyway talk to plenty others that do this kind of thing,then get their thoughts.

They have their licenc and will try to sell you extra mags,.ect.    

Bob        [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
OK is there a standard pipe diameter for most well pumps?

I'm gonna use electric and just need it for a sprinkler system.

And I still didn't get a answer on if I have to blow the area out with a hose where the pipe is underground.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's what my Dad did(He lives in Orlando).He wanted a shallow well for his garden.Take a piece of 1"or 1 1/4" PVC pipe,cut 1 end of the pipe at an angle so you have a point,with fittings attach water hose to other end of pipe,turn water on,start shoving pipe in the ground.At 30' he hit water.He said he could tell when he hit a pocket of water when it got easy to push the pipe.

Rather than try to stand up a full 20' piece of pipe I guess you'd want to cut it into 10' sections and coupling as you go.After he did this,install pump & check valve and he was in business.

In Orlando there is no hardpan on the east side of town,it's all sand so this is easy.

Now let's talk about that "At Cost"....
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here's what my Dad did(He lives in Orlando).He wanted a shallow well for his garden.Take a piece of 1"or 1 1/4" PVC pipe,cut 1 end of the pipe at an angle so you have a point,with fittings attach water hose to other end of pipe,turn water on,start shoving pipe in the ground.At 30' he hit water.He said he could tell when he hit a pocket of water when it got easy to push the pipe.

Rather than try to stand up a full 20' piece of pipe I guess you'd want to cut it into 10' sections and coupling as you go.After he did this,install pump & check valve and he was in business.

In Orlando there is no hardpan on the east side of town,it's all sand so this is easy.

[i]Now let's talk about that "At Cost".... [/i]
View Quote

If that works, we'll talk. Seems reasonable.

Can I use 1" OR 1 1/4" and still attach ANY pump? How to the pumps attach to the PVC pipe anyway?

And when I get to around 30' do I have to blow the area out or will I hit some kind of unlimited supply of water?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Before you go through the considerable sweat and expense that GreyGhost suggested you should give SWFWMD a call.  Ask to speak to a staff geologist.  They can tell you three important things you need to know before you go to work:

1.  How far down is the water table in your area

2.  What is the expected yield for the size pipe and pump.

3.  Will you encounter hard pan (like limestone which makes for a very hard job).

The hard thing is not hitting water.  It is getting enough coming through the well to constantly supply 5-10 sprinklers.  The factors that effect that are:

Size of the pump
Diameter of pipe
Availability of water at the source

Do a little homework with SWFWMD and it may save you a lot of trouble.  However, I still say he best thing to do is call up a redneck well driller with low overhead and have him do for you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#44]
What is SWFWMD?

I should mention, several of my neighbors have wells for their sprinkler systems so I know it can be done.

I just gotta get to it and hook it up correctly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What is SWFWMD?
View Quote

I think I've seen that in the personal ads: single white female with mental disorder.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is SWFWMD?
View Quote

I think I've seen that in the personal ads: single white female with mental disorder.
View Quote

Hahahhaha You guys kill me!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#48]
bobbyjack, things are different here in FL. You don't need more than inch and a half pipe for a well, and our valve goes on the top, not at the bottom. Steyr, how long you live down there? You gotta have a friend/neighbor that has a well, ask them about what it cost. My next door neighbor just had their well done for a grand including pump.

You use a screw by slip fitting to connect to your pump. Install the pvc fitting to the pump then glue to the rest of your pipe work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I suggest a horizontal bore to an adjacent neighbors water supply.  This is best done after the sun sets.
View Quote

osprey21, that's short, simple, and funny as hell! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Getting tired of buying a new lawn every year...
View Quote

SA, this isn't residual damage from dynamite, is it?
[i](Moles are people too, you know!)[/i]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top