Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like there should be a better plan than firing guns from a moving bobbing boat at fast little bobbing boats (admittedly it is a .50)

View Quote

Forgetting for a moment what could be done, the Coast Guard seems to do a pretty good job with human directed fire from .50 cal's in their drug interdiction role.
View Quote

That's a good point.

Does the Coast Guard actually disable the boats, or do the bad guys generally just give up when they realize they're under fire?  
View Quote

I saw a special last year where the Coast Guard was trying to stop drug runner and this guy who looked maybe 18 and wore glasses was on the .50.
Anyway, the shooter put about ten rounds into the engine compartment and that was the end of that little game.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If pirates or anyone else for that matter tried to board my little cruiser, they would see things they only see on TV.[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Pirate Assumption"
... If a ship is rusty and run down do you think it will have valuables on board?...
View Quote

You mean like a load of hash or similar goods?
You never know, they just MIIIIIIIGHT.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I suppose we should just be glad that it wasn't attacked by unmarked jets and torpedoed like what happened about 35 years ago............
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
"If they were terrorists they would have gone through the gun fire and rammed the ship."

I dont think so.  Terrorists prefer targets that dont fight back.  Such as airline flights , and downtown shopping areas.  Neither of which fight back with a .50!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Geez, as the starter of this thread, I thought it was dead because I hadn't gotten any more email notification since this thread was only 1 page long, and I had seen it on like page 4 of the General Discussion.

Today I guess the mail system kicked back in because I got 59 email notifications of posts!

Aimless - Thanks! I wish we had more details but I still thought this was a great story.

Here's what I think all Military Sealift Command Vessels should have (virtually all warships have em):

[IMG]http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/weapons/phal-blk1b.gif[/IMG]

Gotta love those 20mm Phalanx CIWS! 4,500 rds/min, either depleted uranium or tungsten penetrator. Close In Weapon System with a range exceeding 4 miles, has its own independant radar will which automatically engage ships, aircraft, and anti-ship missiles once you flip em on. Some U.S. Military Sealift Command vessels carry these too.

50's are obviously one hell of a gun, but they're not that big when you are talking ships. It is very difficult to actually sink even a small vessel with one. People in Vietnam have told me they had trouble sinking even a sam-pan with one. For vessels the size of these pirate ships, you can still obviously do plenty of damage and kill lots of ppl though!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Put an AH-6 on board w/Mini guns and rockets.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
How much fun would it have been to be an F-18 pilot called in to strafe these fuckers??

I'm surprised they didn't at the very least call for air to at least track these guys after they sped off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Terrorists prefer targets that dont fight back.  Such as airline flights , and downtown shopping areas.  Neither of which fight back with a .50!
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in the application process with the Military Sealift Command now.  I been laid off for a year now and I need a job.  I'm a squid, so it would not be anything new except the living conditions on an MSC ship is better than the Navy ships. I hope they let my GQ station be the Ma Deuce. Also looking at a switch technician job in Kuwait.

Also looking at Sprint.  I am not sure, since they are on the anti-gun list.  Of the listings they have, I already told them no to anything in Kali and Chicago, which were on the list.  They asked why and I told them personal and political reasons.  Probably insured they won't offer me a job.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top