Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 9:22:18 AM EDT
The Brady Bunch and the MMMers are way peeved at Senator Zell Miller for saying that the NRA is
mainstream.

Said Sarah Brady in an e-mail alert, "Call Senator Miller at (202) 224-3643."

So I did. I told the pleasant phone person that I support Zell Miller's speech to the NRA.

I asked him if they had been getting many calls. He said that they had been "inundated." I asked how many calls they had gotten. "About sixty," was the answer.

I told him that I would give it a go for reversing that trend. Please call. It should cost you no more than 10 cents and about 30 seconds of your time, depending upon your long distance plan. Activism don't get much cheaper.

This message is going out to all my lists. Please forward it to yours.

Rick
Phx, Az
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
done. the sweet young thing answering the phone was appreciative.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I called and registered my opinion....sarah brady is a nut job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you get too carried away with Zell, read [url=http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/summaries/reader/0%2C1030%2C544657%2C00.html]this[/url].

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what to make of that, given that it is written by an anti-gun group. Zell was stating facts and making political observations.

Essentially, he said that if anti-gunners want to get elected, they must not make their anti-gun views too well known.

Our calls in support of the pro-rights position should in no way be thwarted by that anti-rights web site.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Done. Left message for Zell supporting his speech.
Bill3508
Macon, GA
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Essentially, he said that if anti-gunners want to get elected, they must not make their anti-gun views too well known.
View Quote

If Miller is pro-gun, why would he be giving advice to anti-gun candidates on how to win elections?

And why would Join Together publish this on their web site (with no rebuttal or other contrary opinions), if they didn't consider it to be sound advice for winning elections?

Why would Miller not follow his own advice?

Our calls in support of the pro-rights position should in no way be thwarted by that anti-rights web site.
View Quote

This news item was published long before Miller's NRA speech, so "thwarting" our calls probably wasn't what Join Together had in mind when they posted it.

Why should we thank a politician for being disingenuous about his gun control agenda?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I called his office, spoke with a delightful young lady, expressed my sincere appreciation for his positive Second Amendment position and offered to make a donation to the Senator's re-election campaign.  The young lady told me the Senator has not decided to stand for re-election and politely declined my offer.  I was pleasantly surprised at the honesty but disappointed at the possibility Senator Miller may not run again.  I told her I would honor my offer should he decide to run for any office in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top