Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/3/2002 4:29:27 AM EDT
You are all gonna LOVE this one. [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=7&u=/nm/20020502/od_nm/soda_dc_1[/url]
Soda Pop Tax Bill Fizzles Thu May 2, 8:43 AM ET SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) - A controversial California bill aimed to slim down overweight children by slapping a new tax on popular soft drinks fizzled after receiving a lackluster response from lawmakers. State Sen. Deborah Ortiz, who sponsored the proposal to slap a 2 cent per can tax on sodas, said Wednesday she was stripping the tax proposal out of her bill and would now focus on winning new limits on the sale of soft drinks on school campuses. "I think it's a good compromise," said Ortiz, a Democrat representing Sacramento. "It's a national debate, and there are others that are joining it." Ortiz original bill had sought to raise revenues for state-funded health and fitness programs aimed at young people, and was among the first proposed laws in the country to target sugary sodas as an underlying cause of childhood obesity. several U.S. states, including Arkansas, Virginia and Washington, impose excise taxes on soft drinks, though most use the proceeds to fight litter, not the "epidemic" of overweight children in U.S. schools. But the proposed tax found little support in the legislature, which last year gutted a similar proposal to ban the sale of fast food and soda on campuses after school officials said the loss of food and drink revenues would cause a serious budget crunch. Ortiz' newly revised bill now seeks to limit soda sales, calling for schools to gradually stop selling soda and sweetened drinks during most of the school day
View Quote
yes i see other states have it, but Kali targets Fat Kids. 3 words - Only in Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:54:31 AM EDT
This crap never passes the first time around. In 2007 when it is on its fifth introduction suddenly that stupid Kaliban will pass it. They are always passing asinine legislation and herding the citizens into their little corral. I had the unfortunate occasion to call Kaliban DMV yesterday and my hatred for that state's administration increases every time I have the least bit of contact with them. And the peoples' ability to keep electing communist jackasses continues unabated.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:24:05 AM EDT
I wish they'd be honest. Its nothing more than a way to fix Davis' mistakes while being Governor. Sure, some will go to the kids but the rest will be used to pay for this and pay for that, just like the cig tax. However, I love the no more to school thing. Schools will start to hurt probably now because soda companies pay schools to have a machine there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:53:18 AM EDT
Ever get the feeling we're all just little kids out in the playground at recess and the Big Recess Lady is watching over everything we do?
Top Top