Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 9:03:04 AM EDT
Did I miss this story?  Is it true?

[url]www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,707918,00.html[/url]

US channel foxed by the fake war hero

Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles
Wednesday May 1, 2002
The Guardian

As a distinguished lieutenant colonel who had served in Vietnam, been part of the mission to save US hostages in Iran and had won the Silver Star for bravery, Joseph Cafasso seemed like the perfect consultant to help Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel with its war coverage.
There was only one problem: the military experience of the "colonel" now appears to have been 44 days in a boot camp in New Jersey in 1976, followed by an honourable discharge at the rank of private.

For more than four months, Mr Cafasso was part of the Fox News team covering the war in Afghanistan. His impressive range of contacts in the military stemmed, he suggested, from his time in the elite special forces, the US equivalent of the SAS. He walked with a cane and made reference to it as a consequence of his experiences in Vietnam.

But an investigation by the New York Times indicates that his military career started and ended 25 years ago. Fox News has now parted company with Mr Cafasso, but claims that none of the information he supplied to it has so far turned out to be wrong. In an email to the New York Times, Mr Cafasso claimed that he was the victim of "political assassination by a group of self-centred individuals with their own political agendas".

The revelation is an embarrassment to Fox, which has been trying to combat claims of conservative bias in its coverage of world events.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#1]

The revelation is an embarrassment to Fox, which has been trying to combat claims of conservative bias in its coverage of world events
View Quote

Now that is a funny statement.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard the story too.  Apparently, he was also able to fool many pentagon insiders as well.  While he was a fake, his inside information was reliable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I am confused as to how a fake war hero has anything to do with conservative bias.  I'd also like to know how come when referring to other channels they never refer to liberal bias...oh wait, nevermind, I know why.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a more detailed story on the phoney colonel.

[url]story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nyt/20020429/bs_nyt/at_fox_news__the_colonel_who_wasn_t[/url]

He claimed to have won the Silver Star for bravery, served in Vietnam and was part of the secret, failed mission to rescue hostages in Iran in 1980.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
DTHOR, is that you..?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DTHOR, is that you..?
View Quote

Please don't stir that pot again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top