Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 6:18:34 PM EDT
After having a couple of discussions with anti-gun friends of mine that turned ugly, I am looking to find the best 3 or so, brief arguments to show the necessity of guns.  

I have a ton of things in my head I would love to say but I can't seem to articulate my arguments well against anti's as I am a new, first time owner and am not too experienced on the subject.  Any feedback is appreciated.  

Thanks,  
Scott
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
1) marksmanship is a fun and relaxing skill to learn & sport to enjoy.

2) Gun ownership lowers violent crime rates.

3) people have the right and responsibility to defend their own lives against agression.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
the ninja one.

works every time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By: AnotherPundit:
1) marksmanship is a fun and relaxing skill to learn & sport to enjoy.

2) Gun ownership lowers violent crime rates.

3) people have the right and responsibility to defend their own lives against agression.
View Quote

VERY WELL SAID!!

Of course you know [b]MisterGreens[/b] you're probably just throwing snowballs at the sun.

But here's another vivid reminder of the value of private gun-ownership:

* While the police held back and allowed rioting in the streets to continue for three days during the '92 LA riots, for "some reason" the Korean stores were the only ones that weren't burned and looted that whole time.

[b]I wonder why?[/b][>:/]

[img]http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0204/la.riots.ap/koreans.rifles.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~red/images/koreanguns.gif[/img]

The BEST argument?

*** Offer to take them shooting with you. If they are truly "open-minded" they'll accept.
Start small, maybe a .22 then move on up. If that doesn't convince them - nothing will.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
1. Because firearm ownership allows you to take a proactive stance on self defence and crime prevention.  Fear is not a state of being that any free person, let alone an American, should live in.  Accepting defenselessness is not acceptable.

2. Gun ownership is a part of the system of checks and balances designed into the Constitution by its framers.  An armed populace with effective weapons keeps a government from becoming too powerful and oppressive.  This was how America was formed, and thus was included in the Constitution in case the need ever arose again.  It is no mistake nor is it coincidence as to what order the amendments fall in.  As a teacher of mine would say "The Second Amendment defends the First."

3. The best argument of them all in my opinion: tyrranical governments love a disarmed populace.  Nazi germany: Jew, gypsies, and all others not of the 'master race' were herded onto trains and slaughtered like so many sheep.  Gun control preceded this and was designed to enable it.  Stalinist USSR: millions were shipped to Siberian labor camps to die.  Gun control enabled this.  The United States, Reconstruction era: the Second Amendment rights of newly freed slaves were abridged, enabling those who were in power prior to the ending of slavery to hold blacks in place through fear, intimidation, and murder.  History is full of examples of why gun control not only does not work, but is dangerous to the freedom of a nation.  Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]

1) Self defense

2) Cars kill 10 times more people than guns, why don't they worry about those first.

3) Most people that are anti-gun seem to be pro-choice. They argue (pro-choice) that they should be able to make their own choices about how to live their life, w/o gov't. or other people "budding in". Tell them you just want the same ability to live your life and make choices on your own.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
1) Are you willing to kill me or die to confiscate my guns? Because that's what it's going to take.

2) Will you guarantee that a police officer will be there the next time my wife, mother, little sister, aunts, grandmother or mother in law are accosted, robbed or attacked? If not, who do you suppose is going to have to defend them when it happens?

3) Far more people, by a factor of thousands, have been killed by their own governments than  have been killed by civilian gunowners. Take a look down at my sig line. This means you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
here's mine (responses):

1) this country was built by guns! now start acting like an american or i'll kick your whiny ass!!

2) oh, so i guess you have a sign on your front lawn that says "THIS HOUSE HAS NO WEAPONS" huh?
them: well no...
me: well why don't you just go put one up then.
i'll be to sure call the police for you when someone is beating your wife & raping your dog.

3) (this is the best, my buddy & i ended up drinking with this brit at the bar. the gun control thing came up.) here was my friend's response to his gun control whit: "why don't you just shut the f*^k up or i'll send you home in a pine box like we did to your ancestors!"

obviously i have no tolerance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[img]http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0204/la.riots.ap/koreans.rifles.jpg[/img]

View Quote

The firearms are good, but the pepsi and the cig really make that pic.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Gun Control is the precursor for genocide.

Ottoman Turkey 1915-1917 Armenians 1-1.5 milion
Soviet Union  1929-1990 20 million
China 1949-1975 72 million
Guatemala 1960-1981 100,000
Uganda 1971-1979 300,000
Cambodia 1975-1979 2.3 million

1a Anti says " That can never happen here"
Ask the American Indians about genocide.

2. A gun is a tool.  Why do people panic and think about murder when they see a gun?  When you see a computer, knife, or match you don't immediately think hacker, slasher, or arsonist.

3.  The 2nd Amendment specifically refers to the right of the [b][i]people[/i][/b] to keep and bear arms.  If as some would have you believe this is a collective right and not an individual right, does that mean the references to the [b][i]people[/i][/b]in the 1st, 4th and 9th amemdment is a collective right too?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I was poking around last Sunday and found this -"Facts you can use."  I thought it was pretty good.

[url]http://www.guntruths.com/Resource/facts_you_can_use.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I know this may sound cliche' but.

1) If all law abiding Americans were to turn in their leagally obtained fire arms, then the only fire arms left on the streets would be in the hands of criminals.

2) Australia for the most part banned all private, leagle fire arms ownership. with in the first year, crime rates rose explanentially. they even had to come up with new terminology for crimes that had never been commited before.

and last but not least,

3) Because it is my constitutional right to protect myself and my family, if you want to steel my car, go ahead. its  just a thing, and it is not worth a human life. If you threaten my children, my wife, my self. I will poke holes in your a$$ till I am 100% sure you are no longer a threat.

[:)>]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Each individual anti has his own crazy reasons for being an anti -- or no reasons at all.

When faced with an anti, ask him to explain why he is an anti. If he reveals his reasons and they are valid, then he is correct and you should become an anti. On the other hand, if his reasons are invalid, then you can use statistics and logic to break down his faulty reasoning.

If he has no reasons for his position, then he is mentally unfit, and it is your responsibility to crush him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Easy, 'cause you can't spell fun without the letters [b]F U[/b]!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys.  I have basically tried most of these things on people in a civilized manner.  It seemd to me that you can't influence (at least without great difficulty) the people who have made up their minds that guns are only for killing children or other silly reasons.  You can work, however, with those that are sitting on the fence.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It seemd to me that you can't influence (at least without great difficulty) the people who have made up their minds that guns are only for killing children or other silly reasons.
View Quote

These are the ones who must be crushed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I have basically tried most of these things on people in a civilized manner.  It seemd to me that you can't influence (at least without great difficulty) the people who have made up their minds that guns are only for killing children or other silly reasons.  You can work, however, with those that are sitting on the fence.
View Quote

What I do is ask them why they are FOR gun control. I then proceed to poke very very large holes in their "logic" with common sense. I ask them "how many rapes are acceptable?" "How many robberies are aceptable?" etc. etc.

The ones I have fun with are the ditzy assed females who say "well, I just think people shouldn't be able to own guns." I get right up in their face at full height & ask them how they would defend themselves against me if I were to break into their home? They never have an answer.  >gg<
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The ones I have fun with are the ditzy assed females who say "well, I just think people shouldn't be able to own guns." I get right up in their face at full height & ask them how they would defend themselves against me if I were to break into their home? They never have an answer.  >gg<
View Quote

You should be very careful with this, cause it only takes one of them deciding that you are making a threat, and that is what it was. YOU WILL go to jail, will most likely lose your right to own firearms, and may serve a lot of time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
here's mine (responses):

1) this country was built by guns! now start acting like an american or i'll kick your whiny ass!!

2) oh, so i guess you have a sign on your front lawn that says "THIS HOUSE HAS NO WEAPONS" huh?
them: well no...
me: well why don't you just go put one up then.
i'll be to sure call the police for you when someone is beating your wife & raping your dog.

3) (this is the best, my buddy & i ended up drinking with this brit at the bar. the gun control thing came up.) here was my friend's response to his gun control whit: "why don't you just shut the f*^k up or i'll send you home in a pine box like we did to your ancestors!"

obviously i have no tolerance.
View Quote
                                            These are the best ones........use these or walk away...especially with the hard core whiners..........unless you love argueing that is............[argue]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#20]
There are no "3" best arguments. Anti's don't give a rat's ass what you say or how you say it.

Just tell them to walk down a dark alley in the middle of the nearest "gun-free" city. Ask them how safe they feel now, knowing only the cops and bad guys have guns.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#21]
[url=http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira58.html]We don’t need no steenking 2nd Amendment![/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top