Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 10:32:32 AM EDT
[rant-mode: ON]

Many folks here use foreign languages in their sig-lines. What's up with that??

Latin, French, German... if it's important enough for you to make it your sig-line, why keep it a secret by shrouding it in some ferrin' language.

Many here lament the dissolving of the American border, culture and language, and at the same time sign off with a [i]"Je suis meilleur que vous"[/i] sig-line.

This is AMERICA - [b]SPEAK ENGLISH!![/b][pissed]

[rant-mode: OFF]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, this is something we like to call "The Internet".
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Its more like, Look at me, I know another laguage, Yippie!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
"...'scuzem moi!!!  'ow do you say?, no shit?" [;D]

Here's a little tip for some fun:
Next time you're around some 4NR's who insist on speaking in their 'native' tongue so that you can't understand them, if you're with a friend, both of you start talking gibberish with an accent and look and laugh at the 4NR's.
It'll drive 'em ape$hit.
This may take some practice with your friend, but, it's worth it!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, this is something we like to call "The Internet".
View Quote

Then why don't you write all your posts in Gaelic?

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Then why don't you write all your posts in Gaelic?

View Quote

a)Nobody would be able to understand what I wrote, and then how would I find out what parts to buy for the preban M4gery I'm putting together?
b)The course I'm taking hasn't taught me enough yet to do so in any meaningful fashion.
c)Typing in Gaelic is a real pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahhh.. Thank you
Salamat
Merci Beucoup
Graci
Arigato
Gracias
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Some things are just better expressed in a different language.  For example, take the phrase [i]ante litteram[/i].  I was recently chided by an editor for using that phrase to describe my father as a computer scientist [i]ante litteram[/i].  Would you have rather me have more awkwardly expressed the simple, exact phrase above as "My father was a computer scientist.  Well, he wasn't called a computer scientist because he was one before that term was created, but I use the term now because that is what he would be called now."  The same term [i]deus ex machina[/i] is also something much better expressed in Latin rather than English.  Would you rather read a review with a long complicated explanation of why a character or event is an artificially introduced solution to resolve an awkward plot situation or a simple explanation that uses the Latin term for that.  For example, "the return of the chimp at the end of the remake of the Planet of the Apes was a [i]deus ex machina[/i]."  It's to the point.z
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahhh.. Thank you
Salamat
Merci Beucoup
Graci
Arigato
Gracias
View Quote

I would like to add
danke schon
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Many folks here use foreign languages in their sig-lines. What's up with that??

Latin, French, German... if it's important enough for you to make it your sig-line, why keep it a secret by shrouding it in some ferrin' language.

Many here lament the dissolving of the American border, culture and language, and at the same time sign off with a [i]"Je suis meilleur que vous"[/i] sig-line.

View Quote

?Que
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
[i]Many peoples use foreign languages here in their Siglinien. What is above with that?? Latin, French, Germans..., if it is important enough for you to form it your Siglinie why maintenance it a secret by cladding it into any ferrin ' language. Many here bejammern dissolving the American edge, the culture and the language and sign at the same time away with one "ever suis meilleur que vous" Siglinie. This is AMERICA - SPEAKING you ENGLISH!! [/i]

Thanks to Altavista, I translated this into German and back. A little funnier that way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If some people choose to write in a language other than English, then maybe the words aren't intended for you.  Why don't you just stick to what you understand?  It may reduce the stress that surfaces in posts like this one!

On the other hand, if you want to be included, then why not try an online translator that will allow you to get involved?  (I haven't seen any "secret" languages used here.)
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless of course you reside on an Indian Reservation which is a sovereign nation, right?

I could be wrong...
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
While I "generally" agree the following exceptions should me noted:

1. When that person is posting from another country. If "I" posted on a German webpage I would do my best to conform to the language but my "sigline" may be uniquely American.

2. When the message is derived from a foreign language (ie. Molon Labe) and is "most" correct in it's original language context.

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Before there was a United States of America people in the space where the USA now resides spoke other languages. The original North Americans spoke several Indian languages. I've met people in Texas who can trace their families back to where they spoke an Indian language, then Spanish and now they speak English and Spanish. Some people in Louisiana speak Cajun-French, and have so for generations. In Texas you can hear some people speak Chech or German and they too have live here for generations.

2 points to consider:

1 This IS the internet.

2 English is the dominant world wide language of business and I would hope most conversations here remain in English but to demand tag lines be in English is way too anal.

3 OK there is a third one, doesn't "The_Macallan" refer to something non-American?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some things are just better expressed in a different language.  For example, take the phrase [i]ante litteram[/i].  I was recently chided by an editor for using that phrase to describe my father as a computer scientist [i]ante litteram[/i].  Would you have rather me have more awkwardly expressed the simple, exact phrase above as "My father was a computer scientist.  Well, he wasn't called a computer scientist because he was one before that term was created, but I use the term now because that is what he would be called now."  The same term [i]deus ex machina[/i] is also something much better expressed in Latin rather than English.  Would you rather read a review with a long complicated explanation of why a character or event is an artificially introduced solution to resolve an awkward plot situation or a simple explanation that uses the Latin term for that.  For example, "the return of the chimp at the end of the remake of the Planet of the Apes was a [i]deus ex machina[/i]."  It's to the point.z
View Quote

Hey man, he was either a computer scientist, or he wasn't!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
no, no, no, no!

This is the internet, Gore invented it, and HE gets to decide the language.  [b]Kapish?[/b]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, ...At least SOME are open minded !!

kid223
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
What's wrong with being an elitist?

It challenges other people to rise above, and stretch themselves. That's a good thing, and an American trait IMO.  If I see things I don't understand I sometimes make the effort to figure out "WTF does THAT mean?", and that's good.

Language is often about nuance.  Foreign phrases force us to learn.  I learn new things, like about  [i]"Jedem das seine"[/i].  While in English it means "To each his own", knowing that it was the inscription placed above the gates at Buchenwald gives it a very different meaning.  See what I mean?

Do you want some communist ideal of "the lowest common denominator"?  If you got it, flaunt it!

At least it's not some dumb TV reference...
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I especially hate it when people post in Latin.  If you don't like it here, why don't you go back to Latin America and then you can speak Latin all you want!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not referring to the simple foreign phrases like "carpe diem".

It's when entire sentences are used that would probably lose nothing of significance in translating to the unofficial "International Language" - English.

I agree with [b]MurderSHO45[/b], it just comes across as being pretentious ([i]"Je suis tellement meilleur que vous."[/i]) .

BTW... Regarding the comment that this is the "Internet" and all that multiculturally-tolerant-ethnodiversity BS it conotes, ALL international air traffic control is conducted in English. So the current precedent for using English as the standard in international communication predates the Web.

Quoted:
Before there was a United States of America people in the space where the USA now resides spoke other languages. The original North Americans spoke several Indian languages. I've met people in Texas who can trace their families back to where they spoke an Indian language, then Spanish and now they speak English and Spanish. Some people in Louisiana speak Cajun-French, and have so for generations. In Texas you can hear some people speak Chech or German and they too have live here for generations.
View Quote

So what's your point? That the Balkanization of our culture is good?

Quoted:
2 points to consider:

1 This IS the internet.
View Quote

Oh, so I shouldn't be so uncouth and provincial so as to comment on the "oh-I'm-so-worldly" use of ferrin' languages to finish posts written in English?

Quoted:
2 English is the dominant world wide language of business and I would hope most conversations here remain in English but to demand tag lines be in English is way too anal.
View Quote

[b]Mordalo![/b]
Quoted:
3 OK there is a third one, doesn't "The_Macallan" refer to something non-American?
View Quote

It's written in English and it refers to the very finest.

Nothing "non-American" about that! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey mac, for at least this once I agree with you. If you think this is bad You should try to come here in Cali-ban and drive through a town called Monterey Park I swear not one sign is legible unless you are korean. It got so bad they had to pass a Law (of course it's cali) that all signs in the town had to have some english translation attached. "yeah attached"

Pissed me off. so my solution ? I don't go there any more no matter what.
( when in rome ...)
just my .02
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is AMERICA - [b]SPEAK ENGLISH!![/b] [pissed]
View Quote

Uh...  In America, we dont speak English, we speak American.  I dont think a single person on this board can or does speak proper English.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep my sig line now merely to annoy DScott. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow, ...At least SOME are opened minded !!

kid223
View Quote

Si vous ouvrez votre esprit trop, votre cerveau tombe!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What's wrong with being an elitist?
View Quote

Because la France est pleine d'eux. And Ich wünsche uns nicht wie die französische Schweine. Comprende me?

Quoted:
Do you want some communist ideal of "the lowest common denominator"?
View Quote

Absolument pas! But j'également ne veux pas transformer les Etats-Unis en to China or Yugoslavia either.
Quoted:
At least it's not some dumb TV reference...
View Quote

Hehehe... dumb TV reference.

Doh![>:/]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
watashi wa hentai desu
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My signature is something I want to say, not
necessarily something you want to read.  It
remains in Japanese because that is where it
retains its meaning.  One of many possible
translations to English means "In all things
lies the possibility of enlightenment", but
it has many other shades of meaning.  Plus
it acts as a sign of recognition for other
people who study Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Hmm, we would be wise to remember we live in a nation of immigrants.  By your logic we should be speaking native american dialects.  Why not norwegian, spanish or french, they were all here before the english?  People can use whatever language they choose.  It's not their fault if you are too ignorant to understand.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#31]
What would be the fun in that ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Dejanos en paz!

-Trata a sacar el idioma nuestro-
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Primeramente, chupame y despues lambame!

asi es la vida, que va a hacer llorar no puedo
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dejanos en paz!

-Trata a sacar el idioma nuestro-

Primeramente, chupame y despues lambame!

asi es la vida, que va a hacer llorar no puedo

View Quote

Exactly!

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Will somebody please tell me what "ROTFLAMO" means?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you mean "ROTFLMAO"?

Roulement sur le plancher riant mon arrière au loin.

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Good reply Macallan.....It was funny.  You can throw all the french you want, it's my primary language!  If I can Speak 2 languages and fairly understand 2 others why can't you !!  It's sad that some Americans always try to Crush/Destroy what they can't understand.....

Thank God it aint all our friends from the south who are like that !!

[beer]

Kid223
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I think you're being ridiculous. Who cares if someone wants to speak a foreign language? You're not paying for his/her time, are you?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Having lived in Florida for the past 20 years, all the while watching what used to be America's southern border creep ever northward, I can tell you there are no words that express the degree of my contempt for those who choose to live in America, yet do not bother to learn the language.
Those who insist on speaking their native languages among themselves, in public, and to their children do themselves and their children a disservice, and annoy the fvck out of me.
But, I suppose we'll always need someone to wash our cars, mow our lawns, serve our tacos and pick our fruit. So if they remain ignorant of the language, they get what they deserve.
BTW, if you want to piss of a Porto-Reekan, call him a Cuban, and visa-versa. If you want to piss them both off, call 'em Mexicans. Good thing for us all the wets hate each other, or else we might not be able to hold 'em at Orlando.
Chupa mi penga you banana-picking, food-stamp spending, bean-eating sub-human pieces of shit.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yes. What is the English translation?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yes. What is the English translation?
View Quote

Look it up. [url=http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm]Netlingo[/url]

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#42]
LMAA
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Look it up. [url=http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm]Netlingo[/url]

View Quote

Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top