Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 4:04:43 PM EDT
 What do you guys think? I am of the opinion that most of the military stuff (USGI Woodland, British DPM, Swiss Alpenflage, German Fleck) is to dark to be effective in anything but heavy woodland (green)type cover. In open grass, or in the Fall when the leaves have dropped, your nothing but a dark blob stumbling through the woods. I use to have a destain for commercial, heavily marketed apparel, but some of this stuff seems to work rather well. I have a Mossey Oak jacket that is damn near invisible in just about any terrain. I found some new stuff called Safariflage , which seems to be pattered after the British DPM, only lighter in color. What are your opinions on the subject?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the safariflage...

[img]www.soldiercity.com/graphics/products/bdus/1966.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Rhodesian camo - it's somewhere between Safariflage and Serengetiflage in color. The olive/dark yellow/brick red German WW2 camouflage works very well, too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the German 'Desert Storm' Flecktarn - it matches my part of Texas better than anything else I've found.

I used to have a steady source, now it's all dried up.

This is a sample of what it looks like:

[img]http://www.mcaroy.com/euro%20camo/desertm43.jpg[/img]

I have a couple of complete BDUs and a few coats, some shirts, in this style!

Eric The(Germanic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, Eric, I've been looking for that German desert fleck for years. My buddy traded for a set while serving in Desert Storm, stuff works great. Better than our 3 color desert. If you somehow manage to locate anymore, give a holler.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy
Was that you the author mentioned and had in the pic in his website?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know of a source for the German BDUs?  Thanks ahead for any tips.
W
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
For woodland flecktarn BDUs:

[url]http://www.wephaus.com/german_flectarn_uniforms.html[/url]

For 'desert storm' Flecktarn...nichts!

I have no idea where to get anymore.

My sole supplier was a fellow from Stuttgart named Siegmund Steffan, but he stopped coming to the Texas Gun Shows about 5 years ago!

Eric The(SOL)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
my prob with camo is if i wear woodland people mistake me for the airforce base personal.

man that german desert camo looks sweet thu i got to find em a set.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Good article Troy.  Thanks.

I've noticed when bowhunting with my partner that our camo becomes very dark when it gets rained on.  In this state that's about every day during deer season.  This goes for woodland/advantage and realtree.  The material itself gets dark when wet and the breaking up qualities are gone.  We end up as dark human shapes sneaking around the boonies.  

Those guys in that article are on to something.

A "sort of" related side note.  On the lines of "sharp contrast vs subtle shades", I remember reading an article (and seeing it on history/discovery channel) of where the army tried to camo a tank at distance.  The best camo was several very bright lights so the tank had no silhouette as viewed from a distance.  It isn't very practical, but I thought it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a source for the German BDUs?  Thanks ahead for any tips.
W
View Quote

Sportsmans Guide sells a lot of this stuff, although I know  some is out of stock. I was at their outlet warehouse today ( I am close), and they were out of the Med sized pants. They will get more, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Mossy Oak is pretty good but just latched on to some desert pattern tigers and really like them...
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm...I've been using the woodlands since 1976, and believe it's the most versatile there is. I also own the Vietnam tiger stripe, and it kicks ass in the pines of the high country of AZ. I also use the safariflage, and it really works well in the desert here, as long as you stay in or close to some sort of vegetation. I have the newest (?) desert camo that the military is wearing in Ashcanistan, and consider it the LEAST versatile. The flectars look pretty effective, buy I don't own any yet. My girlfriend has all Mossy Oak and Realtree, which works very well IF USED WITH A GOOD BACKDROP OR OTHER COVER AND CONCEALMENT. To me, that stuff sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl AS SOON AS YOU MOVE. Granted, nothing works if you're standing right out in the open, but I DO think that some work better than others.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
At the CA state High Power Championships at Camp Pendleton last weekend I was able to see some Marines in their new camo. I know there have been pics posted of it, but seeing it live and up close next to another Marine wearing the old style camo was a revelation. The new camo is very effective. It may not look like it in a pic but it is distorting to the eye to look at. Against mixed greenery and / or dry brown grass, even when the guy was standing up 10 feet away, it works. The old camo stands out like the proverbial sore thumb while the new camo blends into everything. No one color or pattern stands out regardless of the background. Even when the guy was shooting prone his legs blended with the dirt (he was wearing a shooting jacket at the time) Hard to explain. But if I could get some of that I would.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The new Marine camo is basically the Canadian CANPAT design, with a different color scheme. The Canadians started this design way back in '88, and gave the Marines all their technical knowledge so they could produce their own. CANPAT was voted as the most effective camo in recent NATO tests. I'll try to find the link.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At the CA state High Power Championships at Camp Pendleton last weekend I was able to see some Marines in their new camo. I know there have been pics posted of it, but seeing it live and up close next to another Marine wearing the old style camo was a revelation. The new camo is very effective. It may not look like it in a pic but it is distorting to the eye to look at. Against mixed greenery and / or dry brown grass, even when the guy was standing up 10 feet away, it works. The old camo stands out like the proverbial sore thumb while the new camo blends into everything. No one color or pattern stands out regardless of the background. Even when the guy was shooting prone his legs blended with the dirt (he was wearing a shooting jacket at the time) Hard to explain. But if I could get some of that I would.
View Quote

I have to agree. I've never considered my issue camo to be very effective. If nothing else, the terrain where we train most often (Fort Hunter-Liggett) looks nothing like the Woodland. The new patented design for the Corps, as I saw at Pendleton this past weekend, was impressive. I can't wait to get my hands on it, as it seemed incredibly effective. I think he could easily have disappeared into the brush behind the 600.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#21]
The MARPATs, and CADPATs, work off the way the human mind works, instead of breaking up your outline, it causes the mind to fill you in as empty space and ignore you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#22]
IMHO, the best camo if a pair of old Woodland BDU's that have been washed to the point where they are extremely faded and lightened. Add in several years of light colored dirt stains, and the stuff works great! Olive drab isn't bad either. For fall camouflage in a deciduous forest, I find that oddly enough, very,very light colored, open patterns, even oranges and yellows, work extremely well against the light backgrounds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What it looks like at 10 feet isn't what's important.  It's what it looks like at 50 yards that's important.

-Troy
View Quote

Well Troy, I saw it at ranges from 10 feet to 200 yards. And believe me it works. At times, if it hadn't been for the fact this one guy was wearing a solid green sweat shirt I would have missed him completely. It was weird, even when he was walking his legs just kind of weren't there. See Stlrn's post. The design messes with your head. It's not the one sees something but just doesn't know what, the mind just seems to kind of ignore what it sees. It's not mean't to blend in with the surroundings. It's mean't to make the wearer disappear into them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the Swedish M90 camo that utilizes geometric shapes in order to fool the brain. This was also designed with the help of computers. Definitely location specific, but  scores high in the "cool" category.

[img]www.aos.nu/img/articlepics/m90.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Urban...

[img]http://users.pandora.be/rags/illusion4-1.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top