Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Just for the record...

DonR's Post#1: Cool. A very generous offer.

wiggy762 post of an offer to help me if I need it. Genuinely thank you. I believe you would do it too. But I'm not in that much need, I got all that 10% FFL cash rolling in daily.

My reasons for not being a paid member are as above, and a few others known to GB.

DonR's Post#2: You never will give me a break will you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The rest of you that have over 300 posts and/or have been members here for over one year and/or use the Equipment Exchange.....see the post title.

There is [red]no animosity towards anyone[/red] on this site, regardless of payment status.
View Quote

Hmmm... and the title of this thread is [b]"If  you like it... PAY UP!!"[/b]

So which is it - "No animosity" or "PAY UP!!"?
View Quote

The answer is ...... BOTH. Pay up but if you don't, that's OK too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If for some reason you want to, but can't, email GoatBoy or myself and let us see what we can do.
View Quote

DonR, hold on! If you can afford an AR and a fricken PC of your own....you can shell out the
$60.00 a year membership fees. Me? I'm guilty!!

As a non paying member I take info and try to share what little knowledge I have.

I have made some friends and had alot of laughs. Some at my expense and some at others.

This site is awesome and we all share a common interest, the AR15. We don't always have to agree!
However, we have fun! Everyones a comedian!

Let's not turn this site into a fricken program for the "less unfortunate".
Sorry! I think it is wrong to ask other members
to kick in to help for any membership fees.
If a non paying member is that "unfortunate"
I suggest they offer just 2 of their best USGI
30 round mags to the site for payment!
And you know they have plenty.
Hows that? Any member who claims they want to
join but simply can't afford. Have them relinquish just "2" of their 30 round mags!!!!!

I will be the first to offer "2" USGI 30 rounders. Goatboy can sell them at auction for a profit and keep up this site.

I already have 3 ISProviders and 11 email addresses. I'll pay up with mags not money in order to keep the site up and running.
I would bet the mags are worth more than $60.

NO handouts here please! If you're gonna talk the talk be prepared to walk the walk.
Donate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem is, well, competition. Specifically, jouster.com and roderus. Both boards are better in their specific areas than AR15.com which is trying to be all things. As long as these two are free, I don't see how AR15.com can be competitive in price with David_G as a moderator.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I fall into the "want to be a member but can't afford it" category, but I ain't joining any contest to try to win any membership. I like this site, I like the way it's run, I like the people here, I like the amazing amount of information and entertainment found here, and I'm going to donate as soon as is possible. I should have my ass kicked for not donating when the funds were available..........
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If for some reason you want to, but can't, email GoatBoy or myself and let us see what we can do.
View Quote

DonR, hold on! If you can afford an AR and a fricken PC of your own....you can shell out the
$60.00 a year membership fees. Me? I'm guilty!!

As a non paying member I take info and try to share what little knowledge I have.

I have made some friends and had alot of laughs. Some at my expense and some at others.

This site is awesome and we all share a common interest, the AR15. We don't always have to agree!
However, we have fun! Everyones a comedian!

Let's not turn this site into a fricken program for the "less unfortunate".
Sorry! I think it is wrong to ask other members
to kick in to help for any membership fees.
If a non paying member is that "unfortunate"
I suggest they offer just 2 of their best USGI
30 round mags to the site for payment!
And you know they have plenty.
Hows that? Any member who claims they want to
join but simply can't afford. Have them relinquish just "2" of their 30 round mags!!!!!

I will be the first to offer "2" USGI 30 rounders. Goatboy can sell them at auction for a profit and keep up this site.

I already have 3 ISProviders and 11 email addresses. I'll pay up with mags not money in order to keep the site up and running.
I would bet the mags are worth more than $60.

NO handouts here please! If you're gonna talk the talk be prepared to walk the walk.
Donate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

I also think its wrong to ask other members to pay for memberships.  If I was asked or told, I wouldn't do it.  I volunteered and other were 'inspired' I guess.  I agree with you mostly but, it doesn't make me not want to be generous since I consider myself to be a little bit more 'fortunate' than a lot of people.  (not much, just a little)
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
How can one join the team?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
....Or is kentstate4 banned from joining?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you become a paid member you will force me to admit I was wrong about you. You may just be a very liberal gun owner after all. I will still debate you till the end of days on many political topics but I will also have a apology standing by if I was in fact wrong about you.

So there.

P.S. DON'T DO IT! I can't stand being wrong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will only speak for myself in saying that I would welcome you with open arms.  You obviously have something to say with a screen name like that & I want to hear you say it.  (Not to mention I believe in & uphold the idea that you have a right to say it)  

I think all viewpoints are welcome as long as one doesn't just attack others or act 'maliciously' here.  Hell, certain members would shrivel and die without the debate that goes on around here!

Just send $60 to Goatboy and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
this is exactly what i was afraid of when GB started the membership thing.
View Quote

I was a bit concerned about it myself.

I was afraid this type of thing was going to pop up eventually. Paid members getting down on  unpaid members.
View Quote

Yep. Liberty86 is a wonderful example of this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I spend THOUSANDS of dollars per year on gear from places like Ammoman, CDNN, Norala and all of the other advertisers here at AR15.com, therefore I feel I do more than most "Team-members" when it comes to supporting this site. What exactly is a non-paying member?  Do I spend 60$ per year for a pic under my name and the exclusive status of being a team-member, Hell no, I spend much more on ammo, weapons and equipment to support this site, so I say Wiggy762, GET BENT!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#14]
[B)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Confederate, where in AL are you from?  I have many relatives there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is LITTLE activity in the members only forum.
View Quote

Incorrect.

It's a hotbed of activity.[;D]
Any Team Member will vouch for that.

"...60 Dollah.  No problem.  You pay up.  We have good time!!!" [beer]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Fogive the ignowance, but what exactly does the sixty bones go toward? Say, waitaminute, how much does it really cost the Avila's to run the site? Hey, waitanotherminute, who the *&%# are the Avila's?[B)]

These are just some questions the average [newbie] (me) might ask when cornered for cash. [B)]

[peep] Im not in the *&$#house for not knowing who the boss is, am I?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Incorrect.

View Quote

While I CERTAINLY DON'T want to suggest you are wrong...

Team AR15.Com   [Restricted] Topics 202
The Team AR15.Com Clubhouse  Replies 1879

General Discussion           Topics 39813
Non-Firearm discussions      Replies 511176

and I never was one for private clubs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been a non-paying member here for some time, and I was on the 'original' board for sometime as well. I do think the $60 is a fair price for what is offered.

To put it plainly, this site has progressed into one of the greatest firearm sites in general over the years - and do I feel somewhat guilty in not paying the $60 - sure do, but you'll never hear me bitch about the mods or how this site is run.

Sure I'll pay the $60 when I can. Hopefully in the near future, but until then, it certainly wont make me feel like an outcast because I cant come up with the money right now.

Hell, I look at all the items I couldn't and can't afford right now, namely the BRC, LEGP1 and 2 - those alone nearly broke my heart because I have been around on this board for so long.

I owe a lot to some of the fellas on this board for the support and kindness that they've shown over the years and highly doubt they see me any different because I havent had the funds to further support this site. If I sensed that for a moment, I would have left a long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a little concerned why steve-in -va uses hos @aol account and not his ar15.com account and ditto for kevin hall just asking? viruses getting in to ar15.com or what ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Will be a member soon check leaving tonight.
get ready to say your wrong "asshole steyrAUG"[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Will be a member soon check leaving tonight.
get ready to say your wrong "asshole steyrAUG"[}:D]
View Quote

I'm even gonna let you get away with that "asshole." That is your one.

As stated before I stand ready with an apology. I would go so far as to delete you from the "troll list" but that post is locked.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Incorrect.

View Quote

While I CERTAINLY DON'T want to suggest you are wrong...

Team AR15.Com   [Restricted] Topics 202
The Team AR15.Com Clubhouse  Replies 1879

General Discussion           Topics 39813
Non-Firearm discussions      Replies 511176

and I never was one for private clubs.
View Quote

Predictably SteyrAUG...[rolleyes]

Yeah, I hate to be wrong, too!
Have a good night!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I paid the membership before I even made one post here. I knew I'd be utilizing much more than $60 worth of resources a year, and just happened to have money left over from an unemployment check [:D]

Now if GoatBoy ever quits playing with his new toys (the new network) I might actually end up seeing "member tools" somewhere on my screen [;D]

But seriously, nobody should feel guilty for not paying. If this were a pay only site, it would be a pay only site. Besides, the more people that pay, the lower my odds of winning an LEGP #223 are [;)]

As time goes on, more and more people will realize that it's worth shelling out a few bucks to keep this site going. The ones that can afford and think that way, will do so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a little concerned why steve-in -va uses hos @aol account and not his ar15.com account and ditto for kevin hall just asking? viruses getting in to ar15.com or what ?
View Quote

I haven't checked my email account here in months.  I don't use it because I have a couple others to juggle and don't need one more.  Maybe Steve feels the same way.  I don't use the photo hosting either.  

I paid for my membership because of all this site has offered me.  I feel it to be a bargain.  But that is personal.  I don't care if others decide to join or not.  Why is everyone, especially some of the non members so uppity about this.  I have never heard GB guilt anyone into joining.  In fact he just offers incentives, one of the biggest being his give aways.  

I just don't get the bitching about what the Avila's may or may not make in revenue from this site.  If GB made a million bucks a year off this site I would still pay the $60 bucks and be happy about it for what it offers.  I ain't no friggen commie. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Well said ratters.  I joined just because I enjoy the site.  For how much time I spend here, I thought that $5.00 a month could help the site more than I would miss it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I people need to find a reason to donate to the site they dont need to look or rather rember back real far. Remember AK-47.net? It was shut down a fairly popular site with alot of onfo and many member were here and there. It never got as big as this has because it got shut down due to lack of funds. I understand why there  asking for donation. Ok im done. Hopefully Ill beable to koin soon but as a HS student who bought a 10k pickup that I probably shouldnt have I cant afford It. I barely make it month to month hopefully things will soon turn around when I get out of HS and start makeing money
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I people need to find a reason to donate to the site they dont need to look or rather rember back real far. Remember AK-47.net? It was shut down a fairly popular site with alot of onfo and many member were here and there. It never got as big as this has because it got shut down due to lack of funds. I understand why there  asking for donation. Ok im done. Hopefully Ill beable to koin soon but as a HS student who bought a 10k pickup that I probably shouldnt have I cant afford It. I barely make it month to month hopefully things will soon turn around when I get out of HS and start makeing money
View Quote

And who says our education system is failing us. [;)]

Sorry OS, I tried to resist but couldn't. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Ratters,

Damn after looking over my post again I misspelled a lot of stuff. well I was tired and not into the mood for the spell check. on the net I tend to ramble and let it be its not a letter it doesn't have to be perfect.
point taken
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not quarterly memberships?  I would then pay.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#37]
60 dollars  god damnit  ( i can't get it this year maybe in 2006 i have it) Get a job damn.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
60 dollars  god damnit  ( i can't get it this year maybe in 2006 i have it) Get a job damn.
View Quote

I have a job, I just dont want to be stuck with a year membership.  You know, just in case you decide to stick around.  Dont start cracking on peoples financial position.  I make decent money.  Decent money that can be better spent!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I sent in money to support the site before there was such a thing as membership. I don't like taking something for nothing if I'm in a position to pay.  If I had over 100 posts per month I'd feel guilty if I didn't contribute. That's they way my folks dragged me up. The ranting of a new member of the old man club. Turned sixty last week I am  officially an OLD MAN!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Wiggy, being a student, I don't have the resources to pay $60 for this site.  Its great and everything, but it needs the non paying participants as well as the paying to make it interesting as well as possible.  

So before you condemn people for their lack of membership, why don't you consider the repurcussions of your statements.  

Look at how many people are members, whether paying or not.  Now take into consideration what would happened if the non payers picked up and left:
1) The industry would notice a serious decline in the market place for AR15 equipment, due to a lack of interest in this site.
2) The industry would turn out less products and would have less R&D going into the guns we love.
3) The site would lose sponsors.
4) Then guess what genious?  The site would no longer be feasible for GB.

Big deal, people have high post counts, maybe they have extraordinarily high post counts, SO WHAT?  Your interests are promoted merely by the presence of us, whether paying or not.  Not to mention, a lot of people come here to bullshit with the guys here, its like an internet clubhouse.  Like minded people get together and educate eachother on issues and events.  Does it matter if they pay or not?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Just pay the $60.00.  It is worth the $5 per month just to feel this kind of love radiating among members!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd give anything if I could afford to support this site. I wish I had done it before I had to move on a moments notice in January because right now I don't have two pennies to rub together half the time. And it kills me that I'm doing so bad off, but my hands are tied.

This site is absolutely incredible. Where else on the net can you find so many intelligent and verbose people who are willing to offer advice about everything from guns to kids to what to do about pesky neighbors?

This site has afforded me laughter, tears, knowledge, a place to go when I was down on my luck and needed to vent, and so much more. One of these days I will have the money that I need to be a member and you can bet that it will go to this site.

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Good to see that lots of you also can't stand DaveG's pompous, arrogant nonsense.  
 For awhile, I thought I was the only one who found this guy repulsive- glad to have company!

[puke]
       DaveG's "people skills"
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#44]
1) When they started paid membership status I also knew this would happen. FWIW, I think it sucks.

2) Many add a fair amount of knowledge and input here. Most are nonpaying. Hence, they are making a contribution. For all we take most also give. Though some may disagree, I do feel that I have added alot here. Sure have tried anyway.

3) I do spend alot of time here, no doubt. How exactly does one become a "paying member" with full citizenship privileges? Sorry, couldn't resist that little jab.

4) I, like many I'm sure, had no idea that the Avilas were paying out of pocket to keep the site running. I think it was a natural assmption that it must be self sustaining to stay on-net.

5) I considered linking my decision to pay for membership to DonR's actually being pleasant to people but that would be the same as simply refusing to pay[;)]

Once again, how do we become members?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#45]
good comments, Dr. Jarhead- you echo my sentiments
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#46]
For those interested go up to membership icon at top left of page. Tells how to pay and what you get,etc.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top