Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 11:46:46 AM EDT

[url]http://www.note.com/note/pp/jackpot.html[/url]

Witness the $7.5 million Ohio Lottery winner who bought a house and then burned it down in 1992. He testified in court that winning made his life a "living hell". He was convicted of aggravated arson and still has 11 more years of lottery payments to endure.

Some good advice here...  worth a look folks...

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I think this statement from the article linked above pretty much says it all:

Many people are surprised to learn that lottery jackpots are paid over 20 to 25 years and the IRS withholds 28 percent federal income tax from each check.
View Quote

There are a lot of stupid people in the world. The guy was a financial bonehead before winning and continued to be a bonehead afterwards. Shocking.  Money made his life a living hell, huh?  Yeah, his lack of fiscal responsibility had nothing to do with it.  And guns turn people into killers I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor money management skills made his life a living hell.  Winning the lottery just enabled him to lose more money because of them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Texas lottery has a cash option, but must be stated when buying the ticket..

[b]and still has 11 more years of lottery payments to endure.[/b]

Endure? OMG.. I'll take his misery..[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot the phuckker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top