Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2002 7:56:11 PM EDT
Did anyone see Nightline 2-29? Could anyone ID the weopons and technology shown?  They are apparently using triangulation within seconds to locate where a shot came from and try to spot and shoot, if needed. Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't see the show, but is this where they use RADAR or SONAR to track the bullets back to their point of origin down to the gnat's ass?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
In AZ it is on at 10:30 channel 15.  I will pay attention.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes the technology exists, it comes from the army's counter battery fire radar. In modern warfare, the arty now shoot and scoots because of this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
One rifle was an ar-10 with what looked like a leupold M1 scope. Thats pretty much all I reconized.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They also do use a form of SONAR for triangulation.
View Quote

That system would be interesting.  Bullets make different noises when they do different things. When a bullet passes by, the indicated sound vector is ninety degrees from the location of the shooter.  Can be ninety degrees either way.  When a bullet impacts in your vicinity you hear the noise of the impact, the sonic crack and the sound of the shot in close approximation.  When a bullet impacts short of your position it sounds like a blackpowder weapon, sort of a hiss then the sound of the shot.  There's the hiss after the sonic crack that can be heard sometimes too.  I'd like to see that piece of gear work to figure all that out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
They appeared to be open for business, too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top