Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2002 5:46:31 AM EDT
I was cutting a slot in some aluminum bar stock when something fell over behind me.  I turned and looked, and as I did, I put my thumb against the cutter!  Milled a chunk out of my thumbnail and the tissue underneath it!

(Just thought I'd add to the "I ****ed myself!" threads this morning.[:D]  This probably belongs in BIY, but. . . .[:p])
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
i once table-sawed myself. it wasnt pretty, and woodworking isnt as appealing as it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother was working on some very large diameter peices, say around 3 or 4 foot oil field stuff.  In a Numerical Control. The Large peice was turning at only 10 rpm . It cought his cuff and drug his arm all the through the machine. He said he went white and watched as his arm slowly wound its way through this.  What was bad about it is his arm was bending... He said SHIT ITS GONNA SNAP. ... But it didn't.
thank god.  His arm looked like shit though.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
This couldn't happen to me because my little mill has a "Keep Hands Clear of Rotating Cutters" warning label on it[:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
You think that's bad. One time at high school one of the students loss his finger on the jointer in wood shop. They close down the shop after wards because they couldn't find the finger ! It was latter found in the dust collector after a bad smell was coming form it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I once table-sawed myself too. Dado blade to the thumb. Also had a piece of carbide fly off a blade and embed and itself in my chest.
Table saws now scare me.

Now.. Who has chainsawed themself?

-T.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't tell you how many times I made a blood sacrifice to the Cable Gods while splicing steel shielded cable. Whoever came up with that idea has a smack in the chops coming. It's like lining the cable sheath with razor blades.

I still keep a roll of 3M 33+ black tape in my first aid kit, just for old times' sake. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
In 1992 I was working in my father's valve repair shop (waiting to start my MBA progam at Michigan State) when I was helping seat a valve ring in a 4" valve.  The air was applied to the valve so the ring wouldn't scar the valve head, and the other guy was holding a pneumatic drill with the key that screws the valve ring in.  After years of use, the key was badly flashed (very sharp) around the edges.  Anyway, the guy accidentally hit the air hose and knocked it out of the socket, causing the valve to close.  The valve head knocked the righ, which threw the key out of the socket and spun it into my right hand.  I didn't see it happen, but my vision suddenly went narrow and my head went light.  All of a sudden, people in the shop started grabbing my hand and wrapping it.  It turns out that the key cut nearly through my right middle and right ring finger.  Luckily, three hours of surgery and 128 stitches later, they got everything connected back together.

I returned to work the next day, and on the wall behind where I stood there was a near-perfect out line of my body sprayed in blood, with the clean white spot where I was standing.

My fingers still freeze up in the winter mornings.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead, I know where you're coming from!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't suppose anyone has ever, uh, drilled themselves?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't suppose anyone has ever, uh, drilled themselves?  [rolleyes]
View Quote

I am not quite that flexable.....yet.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been a machinist for 20yrs.,and I've gotten gashed by end mills,fly cutters,surface grinders,bandsaws.Hot chips over the safty glasses suck..But the worst thing I can remember is while dumping a heavy barrel of chips,this scrawny kid that was helping lost his grip and I took the full weight,ruptured a ligiment below my bicep,that really sucked!!! Try wiping your butt with your left arm when your primarily right handed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I've worked as a cabinetmaker for the last 12 years or so, and the worst I've done is nick the tip of a finger on a tablesaw (unless you count the time I was off-loading some 3-inch thick oak and managed to peel the skin off my ring finger like a banana).  I've seen some pretty bad accidents with machines, though.

When I was working for another shop (before I started my own business), one of the employees started a setup on the shaper, but only got halfway through before he left for lunch.  When he came back from lunch, he went to work without finishing the setup.  He fired up the shaper, and when the cutter began to climb up the spindle, his rather strange instinct was to grab the cutter.  His hands were turned into hamburger, and the sound of his scream was pretty impressive. [shock]

The moral of the story:  Never start a machine setup if you can't finish it before you leave the machine, and always double-check your setup if you have to step away, even for just five minutes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm still waiting for the, "I just deep fried myself", thread to appear.  Should be a good one.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Let us not forget Jojo's self-parkerization...

[:)]

Sounds like we're trying to make guns out of ourselves.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I repaired my own lawn mower?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top