Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/28/2002 1:48:08 PM EDT
It’s been a while since I’ve posted! I keep meaning to give everyone an update about my son, but when I’m not busy taking care of him or working, I’m trying to catch up on sleep. Isaac got to come home on April 11th. He was 7 ½ weeks old and weighed 5 pounds 2 ounces and was 18 ½ inches long. He’s definitely made a lot of progress!!! His due date was this past Friday. Isaac was born on February 16th, weighing 2 pounds 11 ounces. He had to be taken by C-section because I had HELLP Syndrome. HELLP Syndrome is very rare, and some of the statistics that I’ve read give a mortality rate of 25%. Death results when the liver ruptures. Because he was 2 ½ months early, his lungs weren’t fully developed. He was on a ventilator for weeks. Within his first week of life, he got a Staph infection. He retained so much fluid that he probably weighed almost a pound heavier than he truly was. The neonatalogist and nursing staff worried that he wouldn’t pull through. He did, and has put everyone who cares about him through many trials! Aside from his lungs and the infection, it was discovered that his kidneys were distended - caused either by the fluid retained because of the infection or because of kinking caused by the hypospadea (it would make me uncomfortable to describe that to you guys, so if you want to know what it is, look it up.) He continued to need supplemental oxygen for several weeks because he had residual lung disease due to having pneumonia from the infection. When they checked his eyes to make sure that the nerves in his retinas were developing properly, they discovered that he has a cataract in his right eye. I think that’s when things were the worst for me. Cataracts in infants are very rare. They still don’t know what has caused it, but for a while suspected that he might be galactosemic. Galactosemia has many negative complications. Cataracts are one. Learning disabilities, neurological impairments and speech disorders are some others. I would have loved my son no less, but I had a very hard time trying to accept that his life may be very difficult because of those potential complications. To my relief, the test for galactosemia came back with negative results. When he no longer required oxygen, his progress was rapid. He’s on a special diet to gain weight… Imagine, if you will, having to consume vegetable oil with every meal. By the time I took him to the pediatrician for his shots, he weighed almost 6 pounds. I took him to the Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis on the 15th. He is scheduled for eye surgery on the 30th. I’m praying that the retina behind the cataract is healthy. The doctors are unsure. They refer to the cataract as peculiar because it’s sectional. It doesn’t cover the whole lens, but only bits and pieces. Because he’ll do a tremendous amount of growing, he will not have a lens implant. He will instead have a contact lens that I will have to remove, clean and replace once a week. Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support. I’ll be sure to post on Wednesday to let you all know how his surgery went. Judi
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:52:13 PM EDT
KIO, a Mass will be said for Isaac tomorrow morning. My wife will get her bible church prayer group going on it this evening. Our thoughts are with you all. Take care -hanko
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2002 2:01:11 PM EDT by ColonelKlink]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:54:56 PM EDT
Count my prayers among the many for you and your son, Judi. Jeff
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:56:51 PM EDT
My thoughts are with you and your family. Congrats of getting him home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:57:15 PM EDT
Judi, My prayers, too. I have a co-worker who has had a rough go of it. His little boy (ONLY 3.5 weeks early) spent a major of his short life so far in UVa. He is doing better now, but still has tube feedings to supplement his diet. Hang in there, things will keep getting better. My cousin also had a preemie. PJ weighed about one pound when he was born. Tough times for quite a while, but he is like sxi feet tall now... Scott
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:57:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KnockItOff: caused by the hypospadea
View Quote
You wouldn't happen to have been using or handling Propecia, would you?? Just curious. Glad he is doing better. We told you he'd be ok! I hope everything goes well with the surgery; let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:59:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ColonelKlink: congrats man! I'm happy for you [beer]
View Quote
Uh, judging by the name "Judi" and her saying she had a c-section, I think "man" might be the wrong label.... :D Scott
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:59:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:00:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:24:17 PM EDT
I think "man" might be the wrong label....
View Quote
Absolutely right!! I lack a few essential parts for that...
You wouldn't happen to have been using or handling Propecia, would you??
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:59:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:45:22 PM EDT
Thoughts and prayers.... SRM
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:11:34 PM EDT
M4Madness - yes, he'll be at Riley. Thanks to everyone for their continued prayers! Judi
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:39:18 AM EDT
Good to hear from you again KIO, hope everything works out. Please keep us all updated.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:04:08 AM EDT
My thoughts are with you and your son. Hang in there. ARH
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:09:23 AM EDT
KIO, thanks for the update.. Please keep us informed. -T.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:28:29 AM EDT
KIO, Sounds like he's a little trooper!! Best wishes to you, your son, and the rest of your family. -Chimborazo
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:31:46 AM EDT
God bless your son...He is a survivor! [beer]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:36:18 AM EDT
He's a fighter, hes gonna go far in life. Congrats KIO, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Top Top