Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/26/2002 7:55:20 PM EDT
I just got an email in my 2nd email box from somebody saying that an email I sent them the Klen Virus. The address I supposedly sent it from was the email addy. I used to sig up at the Democratic Underground. I know it had to be them because that is the only place i have used that addy. Also, I have only receive 1 email in it and that was from DU when I signed up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:57:25 PM EDT
Ja, or someone at that board has the virus also, and so their machine is sending emails with bogus addresses gleaned from the DU boards.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:01:43 PM EDT
same here, THIS MEANS WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:03:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:06:28 PM EDT
I just got an email from someone at ar15.com titled "honey" from hank@ar15.com, but it was empty. Maybe a failed virus attempt? I only use Netscape 6.2's mail system. I got sick of Microsoft's Outlook allowing and even helping every virus possible get into my computer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:07:03 PM EDT
naw, i liked the smurfs, and the smurfs were blue, not BLEW. the sender was someone called 4x4dodgeramv8 or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:10:07 PM EDT
Hey guys, If someone at the Democrat Underground is attacking AR15.com, then that person is already in hot water. I wouldn't do anything stupid... If someone on here looses valuable information because of something someone there did they (the person, and maybe the sight itself is Liable). So if I was you guys , I wouldn't do a damn thing. If you are hit all you can do is catalog it. But after that don't do jack shit. Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:10:17 PM EDT
This is just a clever virus taking advantage of those who have not figured out how to recognize one. It's mission is simple and clear. It does not give one rats ass who we, or they, are. The damn thing came from Japan after all. It is only the latest example of a man made form of life. It can only live within it's man made enviroment and is less intelligent than an ant. Lets try to be smarter than the virus instead of yelling, "Off with their heads!" to people who are not directly responsible. The dirty little secret to virus protection is that if you are hit by the first wave, all the updates in the world will not help you until the mfr figures out what is going on and issues an update to save the rest of the computers out there. Think calm, reboot, and remember your AOL password. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:10:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:11:25 PM EDT
They were always my number one (heck, only!) suspect.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:14:04 PM EDT
I just got an Email with Attachments as well, I promptly deleted it. Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:20:08 PM EDT
They are probably victims like the rest of you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:24:19 PM EDT
Well, they are very much into victimology over there...
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:29:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:29:43 PM EDT
if they're behind it, then why am i getting emails? i never post there, unless it's making it's way through that famous 6 degrees of separation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:32:54 PM EDT
Its spreading like a virus through everyone's email addy's. But just catalog it, don't take any action against any site. Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:36:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:42:03 PM EDT
Thank you Aimless, your aim is true tonight. This virus is especially good at recovering emails from many places. What we are witnessing is the ability of a virus to reach out beyond someones address book and search out clues from cookies, temporary internet files and ISP databases. It really is a fairly big jump forward in technology, regardless of how annoying it is. I'm sure the FBI or someone else will be looking to turn this technology to "good" use very soon. SEE! Evolution in action. Already the higher life forms has figured out that this silliness is avoided by being prudent and cautious. Much like real life. Just another day on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:43:20 PM EDT
My computer has been ravaged byt this stupid virus in one day!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:45:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:09:42 PM EDT
The computer here got infected by that damned klez virus. I dunno how, since I have never used outlook to read email, nor do I ever open attachments. Now I got to emails saying that I sent out 2 infected emails. I tried the fixklez file from synamtec but it didn't find the virus. I even went and did the registry edit but the files weren't there either. WTF is going on? I used to run Norton anti-virus 5.0 but I haven't installed it on this comp. What anti-virus progs are good to get besides Mcaffee.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:24:08 PM EDT
Imbrog, You are a 12 O'clock flasher if I ever saw one. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:31:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:48:40 PM EDT
I read over on Symantec's site what all this Virus does. I gotta hand it to whatever dirtbag wrote it, because they know what they are doing. It supposedly scans your hard drive for email addresses, names, etc...It scans your personal info. and all. I decided afterwards to scan my HD for Klez and it came up dry. So, it doesn't appear that I have the virus. But, it somehow found an address that I only use for one purpose. The funny thing is that, that specific address is receive only. My DNS provider routes all the email for my first domain to a second email account that I use only for that domain. I can check the To line to determine what it is about. This makes it real easy to sort. I.E. (class_number)@ = professor emailing about a specific class. I have used 2 emails at that domain for DU. The first got banned and I used the 2nd to reregister with a new username. My second domain is set up to route email by address to specific persons. That allows me to email somebody w/o remembering their email addy. It acts like an address book, but is not on computer and can be used anywhere. It also isn't open to Virii scanning it for those email addies.
Top Top