Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 7:39:37 AM EDT
ATLANTA — Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, the effervescent, sometimes volatile member of the Grammy-winning trio TLC, was killed in a car crash in Honduras, her record company said early Friday.

Lopes, who would have turned 31 next month, was on vacation in Central America, Arista Records' spokeswoman Laura Swanson said. Lopes was reportedly among seven people in the car Thursday night and the only fatality.

"No words can possibly express the sorrow and sadness I feel for this most devastating loss," said Arista president L.A. Reid, who helped shape the career of the Atlanta-based R&B group, one of the best-selling female groups in history.

The company had few details, not even giving the location of the crash.

TLC, which also includes Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, had such hits as "Waterfall," "No Scrubs" and "Unpretty." Their latest album was FanMail.

"We had all grown up together and were as close as a family," the surviving bandmates said in a statement. "Today we have truly lost our sister."

Lopes' nickname came from her habit of replacing one lens of her glasses with a condom during performances.

"No Scrubs," written by members of another Atlanta group, Xscape, drew attention for its take on underachieving men with overactive egos. "I'm looking like class and he's looking like trash," it says. It even inspired an answer song from the hip-hop group Sporty Thievz, "No Pigeons," which took aim at gold-digging women. "You birds wanna take over?" it says. "Get some cash and a Jenny Jones makeover."

In 1994, Lopes pleaded guilty to arson in a fire that destroyed the million-dollar mansion of her boyfriend, former Atlanta Falcons receiver Andre Rison. Lopes was sentenced to a halfway house and five years' probation, plus a $10,000 fine.

Lopes admitted she started the fire after an argument with Rison. The two later broke up, only to reunite and break up again. However, last year they announced plans to marry.

In the past few months, Lopes reportedly signed a solo deal with Suge Knight's Death Row label to put out another solo project under the pseudonym, "N.I.N.A." (New Identity Not Applicable). She also helped start the group "Blaque," an R&B trio who had the hit "Bring It Home To Me."

I dunno bout the rest of you guys, but that damned scrub song pisses me off...
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Another crazy, annoying bitch I won't miss.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
First Aaliyah dies in a plane wreck, now this chick.  Coincidence?  I think not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't go chasing Waterfalls!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Ms. Left Eye:

[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/955000/images/_957265_lopez_300.jpg[/img]

Nothing says "class" like green hair and a tattoo. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
R.I.P.  [:p]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Another gangsta-rap-racist-*****bitch-slutty-ho stricken from the world. [XX(]

NEXT!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm, where to file this one...?

Under "No Great Loss" seems to be a good place.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They go in threes.  Who's next?
View Quote

Hmm...  Excellent observation there Stokes.  Who would you like to see next on the news from this genre?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Bitch won't be burning down any more houses.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please, GOD.  Don't take Janet.  She's the only one with talent.
Take that bitch Whitney, instead.  She's been on the pipe too long, and while you're at it, take her punk boy Bobby, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
She'll not be missed in my household.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First Aaliyah dies in a plane wreck, now this chick.  Coincidence?  I think not.
View Quote

What are U proposing?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[red][b]Another gangsta-rap-racist-[size=6][u]EDITED DO TO BIG BROTHER [/u][/size=6]-slutty-ho stricken from the world.[/b][/red] [XX(]

NEXT!
View Quote

Can you say that??  [shock]

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red][b]Another gangsta-rap-racist-[size=6][u]niggabitch[/u][/size=6]-slutty-ho stricken from the world.[/b][/red] [XX(]
NEXT!
View Quote

View Quote

That's what "THEY" call themselves.

And that's what they are.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red][b]Another gangsta-rap-racist-[size=6][u]niggabitch[/u][/size=6]-slutty-ho stricken from the world.[/b][/red] [XX(]
NEXT!
View Quote

View Quote

That's what "THEY" call themselves.

And that's what they are.
View Quote

And thats what they are?  Thats the lamest excuse for being a skinhead I have ever seen....

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]
You can cut the racist shit out!  We white folks have some pretty skanky hos of our own. It's not color, but character.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can cut the racist shit out!  We white folks have some pretty skanky hos of our own. It's not color, but character.
View Quote

Yes, CLASS prejudice, not COLOR prejudice. Remember that always!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Please, GOD.  Don't take Janet.  She's the only one with talent.
Take that bitch Whitney, instead.  She's been on the pipe too long, and while you're at it, take her punk boy Bobby, too.
View Quote

I second the Whitney nomination.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it was Aretha Franklin, Toni Braxton, Anita Baker, Diana Ross or Natalie Cole I would not have used "those words".

When Richard Pryor put out his album, "That ******'s Crazy!", was he a racist too?

What [b]IS[/b] racist is some people here saying that there are words that blacks can use without being called racist but whites can't use those exact same words without being called racist.

More hypocritical, liberal PC-BS-double standards.

Though I disagree, as a guest here, I will respect the rules of the site.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Shoop Shoopa Dupe Shoopa Dupe Shoopa Dupa Dupa Dupe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Macallan, it wouldn't make a damn to me even if the term were used by one of our black members. To me, the word is offensive because it denotes racism and ignorance, no matter who uses it.

The Avilas' are a very non biggotted family, and it's their desire for the site to remain free of racism.  I would only hope that, as their guests, we comply.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
   I think we have a parking spot opening up right now... crash...
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I must be living to far out.  I had never heard of her or that other musician found dead in Seattle last week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Regardless of what she WAS or what YOU thought of her....she is now dead.

Show your class and compassion or at the very least discretion, by not defacing her memmory.

Please,let her Rest in Peace!
View Quote

Finally, someone with a sense of respect.

I don't care for people like that either...but she was a human being....geez!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I must be living to far out.  I had never heard of her or that other musician found dead in Seattle last week.
View Quote

It really depends on your age I guess.
I'm 23 so I know about these things.

Lisa "left Eye" was a dumb bitch anyways.
She never did any good and if you watch any shows about "TLC" she was always the trouble maker. (my sister told me, heh)

The whole lane stayly (how ever u spell his name) was a shocker cause that same day they found him dead, I heard that the lead singer of alice and chains ( I can't believe I can't remember his name) is doing a solo thing here in Portland, and I thought to myself, "I wonder what Lane Stayly is doing right now"  Well, I guess he was decomposing in a bedroom. Weird stuff.  

BTW, the death of Allyah 6 months ago was horrible, she was a good girl and gave to her community, did alot of charity things, and never harmed a soul. I don't give a shit about that kind of music, but she was awesome.  

Lisa "Left eye" can lick my balls.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Show your class and compassion or at the very least discretion, by not defacing her memmory.

View Quote

Judging from his "gangsta-rap" remark, I don't think that this member has ever heard any of the music.  Although some of the criteria used for Grammy awards may be questionable, and although the awards may be nothing more than conspiratorial handouts, some of the TLC lyrics may be quite inspiring.  Some of the lyrics are pure materialistic rubbish, but I thing that we ought to remember that these women were performers, actresses, entertainers.  Their image is what is important, and it has sold.  (Oh, 'cept for that arson incident)    
As far as this guys's racist post, I feel that he [i]is[/i] writing as a representative of his class when he makes posts like this.  No, we don't live in GB, but we do recognize some class prejudice here in the States, much like one of the posters on this thread has indicated.  I am guilty of this prejudice, and it is posters like this racist that support my feelings.  Takes a real tough guy to pick on a dead woman.
Good thing he lives down there in the desert, so far away from me, because this kind of low-class bigot would only pollute our beautiful state.    
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Judging from his "gangsta-rap" remark, I don't think that this member has ever heard any of the music.  Although some of the criteria used for Grammy awards may be questionable, and although the awards may be nothing more than conspiratorial handouts, some of the TLC lyrics may be quite inspiring.  Some of the lyrics are pure materialistic rubbish, but I thing that we ought to remember that these women were performers, actresses, entertainers.  Their image is what is important, and it has sold.  (Oh, 'cept for that arson incident)    
As far as this guys's racist post, I feel that he [i]is[/i] writing as a representative of his class when he makes posts like this.  No, we don't live in GB, but we do recognize some class prejudice here in the States, much like one of the posters on this thread has indicated.  I am guilty of this prejudice, and it is posters like this racist that support my feelings.  Takes a real tough guy to pick on a dead woman.
Good thing he lives down there in the desert, so far away from me, because this kind of low-class bigot would only pollute our beautiful state.    
View Quote

My name is [b]The_Macallan[/b].

I HAVE listened to her "music" and much of it IS racist-gangsta-rap-skanky-ho trash. Do a google search of her quotes and lyrics and you'll be proved wrong.

She hung with high-paid-low-lifes, led a wreckless life and in public showed no redeeming qualities beyond that of a dancing whore.

[b]IMHO[/b], if you're going to talk about me - at least have half a testicle and use my name.

Your self-righteously coy avoidance of responding directly to me, but spending your entire post railing AGAINST me shows you to be quite the cowardly twit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The funny thing is I would normally be inclined to like her. I am a DJ with a preferrence for Urban Contemporary (Ghetto Music) and like artists like Lil'Kim, Da Brat (Well some of it), etc.

But I DESPISE TLC and especially this arsonistic felon who gets away with murder due to celebrity. TLC sucks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm so glad I don't care.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#36]
See what happens when you drive with a silly patch over one of your eyes kids.....[;)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]
How do you keep a @@@@@@@ from driving a car.
Hide his keys under his work boots.

Why are @@@@@@@ men better lovers.  Because @@@@@ men have to get up and goto work the next morning.

Why won't @@@@@@@s let thier daughters marry @@@@@@@s?  Because they are afraid thier grandkids will grow up to lazy to steal.

What do you call 2 @@@@@@@@@@@ on a bicycle?
Roll-Aids

What do K-Mart and Michael Jackson have in common?
They both have boys underwear half off.

How do you stop a @@@@@@ baby from jumping on your bed?  Put Velcro on the ceiling.

How do you babysit a @@@@@@ baby?  Wet his lips and stick him to the wall.

If anyone thinks these jokes are rasit or sexist then you must examine you own heart because you are the ones who filled in the generic blanks with your own racist opinions.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Regardless of what you may think of her, she was someone's daughter and she is now dead.  I think that it would be more appropriate to  pray that her death might inspire others to change their lives, and to leave judgement to He who has the right to judge.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Another crazy, annoying bitch I won't miss.
View Quote

Amen. Now, when will Courtney Love's card get called in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And thats what they are?  Thats the lamest excuse for being a skinhead I have ever seen....

View Quote

You guys are giving The_Macallan grief about his racist remark, yet no one pointed out CavVet's racist remark.  It goes both ways.

I'm probably one of the few people on here that knows the difference between a skinhead and a neo-nazi or racist skinhead.  Not all skinheads are racist.   Do a little research of your own and stop believing everything the Media tells you.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

[b]IMHO[/b], if you're going to talk about me - at least have half a testicle and use my name.

Your self-righteously coy avoidance of responding directly to me, but spending your entire post railing AGAINST me shows you to be quite the cowardly twit.
View Quote

Cowardly twit?  I didn't look at your name, but because you think that you are so important, then I will include your name here:

The_Macallan

I generally pay little attention to individuals on this board, but do remark particularly racially bigoted posts.  I guess that I'll start to look for your name when I see this kind of prejudicial diarrhea.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#42]
TommyBrown:
"How do you stop a @@@@@@ baby from jumping on your bed? Put Velcro on the ceiling.

How do you babysit a @@@@@@ baby? Wet his lips and stick him to the wall.

If anyone thinks these jokes are rasit or sexist then you must examine you own heart because you are the ones who filled in the generic blanks with your own racist opinions."

Dude, STFU up now!  You know exactly towards what racial group those jokes are aimed, I don't think "Asian" would fit the velcro or the lips joke.  

How a thread about a black woman's death devolves into Macallan's & others racist shit I don't know but it did.  She's f-ing dead, maybe you won't miss her but her family & others prob.  will, so WTF do you take time to point out that you don't give a shit?  Is your life so pathetic & devoid of self-worth that you have nothing better to do than write shit about a dead woman on an Internet board on a Friday night?  

LMAO!  Great social life some of you have.  "HEY, IT'S FRIDAY NIGHT, SINCE I HAVE NO LIFE, NO BALLS, NO WOMAN, NO FRIENDS, I'LL GET ON THIS NET BOARD AND TALK SHIT ABOUT A DEAD WOMAN & BRING UP THE FACT THAT HER SKIN IS COLORED BLACK!"

Some of you are really sad sacks of shit...  Pathetic.

Lock this PLEASE!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I think Death Row had her murdered. I wouldn't put it past Suge Knight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Well put, Ed Sr!

She is dead - let it go.

[b]TommyBrown[/b] - just because you did not specify a race, it still was plain to see who was the focus of your racist jokes. This has violated the conduct code here at AR15.com - please do not let it happen again.

Tyler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top