Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 10:54:25 AM EDT
So I got a question.

Once a year I take about two weeks off work, and go hiking. Alone.

I take all my equipment, enough food for 3-7 days, slip into my old BDU's, grab my AR and head into the woods.

Last year I hiked from Lake Quinalt (just south of the Olympic Mountains) to Westport (on the coast) about 60 miles.

All my friends think I am a wierdo for doing this, but I like doing it. It gives me time to think about how my life is going, enjoy nature, and generally just get away from it all. I'll shoot at targets of opportunity (coyotes, and birds), and do a few one-man battle drills.

Last year in June I ended up on my best friends front porch in Westport smoking a cigarette, all camoed up and lookin' like a badass.

Does this constitute me as a freak? I hope not.

[BD]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Sounds good to me.

The more I think about it, the more I want to try it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Uhlek,

You are far from a freak. Being able to be "alone" is a sign of a healthy mind. I do this all the time. Sometimes I just feel the need to be alone for a few days and I take a camping trip.

I do the EXACT same thing, grab my AR, put camo on and walk into the woods for a couple of days. I come back feeling energized.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as you don't build a shack out there and start writing "manifestos" on a broken typewriter. [%|]

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish that I could set aside the time to do it.  Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't tell. Post a pic and I'll let you know![:D]

I find you can usually tell a freak just by looking at them.

Or is that too shallow?

Hmmm, don't quite know for sure. But post a pic anyway.

Seriously, I love going out in the woods by myself and hiking all day. Camping under the stars with just myself.

It's scary at times. I'm always armed, but you never know....

But it [u]is[/u] exhilarating, to say the least!

Eric The(LikeGettingShotAtAndMissed!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can't tell. Post a pic and I'll let you know![:D]

I find you can usually tell a freak just by looking at them.

Eric The(LikeGettingShotAtAndMissed!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

okay, how do I post a pic? I did {img}http://........{/img} ( {=[ )
[img]http://www.geocities.com/onacidcb/Kadar.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, you're a freak.  Take off those knee and elbow pads or at least wear them off the joints.  That must hurt hiking 60 miles with the pads on.  Otherwise you look fine, except maybe the night vision on such a bright sunny day.  I'd put that in your fanny pack/rucksack too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#9]
OUCH!!

Freak a MUNDO!!

Running around all cammed up?

Well maybe if you were playing Paintball...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I keep my NODs on my K-pot all the time, that way i'll never lose them.

This shot was taken just before me and a buddy were dropped off in the woods two years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uhlek,

You are far from a freak. Being able to be "alone" is a sign of a healthy mind.
View Quote

Macallen, wouldn't you agree that this sounds quite [blue]UNI[/blue]que? [blue]BOMB[/blue]ing the mountains in bdu's for a couple days is....[blue]ER[/blue]rrrrrr, fun sounding!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright you're a freak [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/melt.gif[/img]

Happy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top