Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/24/2002 4:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2002 6:41:04 PM EDT by Jarhead_22]
I just finished the book "Sympathy for the Devil," by Kent Anderson. It's about a guy named Hanson who gets drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War after a couple of years of college. In boot camp he volunteers for Special Forces, and ends up going straight through Airborne school and Special Forces school as a Spec and sent to VN as a replacement at Command and Control North and running teams of Montagnards on cross-border operations. It's one man's pretty dark and intense look at the nature of operations over there. I recommend it. The author is a former police officer and former Special Forces Sergeant. He was awarded two Bronze Stars. **I just wanted to add that this is a novel, not a true account.**
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:12:04 PM EDT
THanks, I may get it next time I travel, which these days is fairly often...
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:19:29 PM EDT
Thanks for the heads up. Still looking forward to reading "Five Years to Freedom" per your recommendation too. Tate
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:43:56 PM EDT
You would also enjoy "The Dying Place" by David Maurer. He was a SF soldier, and his novel is about the later days of CCN. Also try "SEAL Team One" by Dick Couch. Couch was a SEAL, and his novel is about a young SEAL ensign's first tour of duty. This is the best novel about SEAL ops in Viet Nam.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:42:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By faris: You would also enjoy "The Dying Place" by David Maurer. He was a SF soldier, and his novel is about the later days of CCN. Also try "SEAL Team One" by Dick Couch. Couch was a SEAL, and his novel is about a young SEAL ensign's first tour of duty. This is the best novel about SEAL ops in Viet Nam.
View Quote
I'll check out "The Dying Place." I read "SEAL Team One" and agree with your recommendation.
Top Top