Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 4:37:34 PM EDT
I just finished the book "Sympathy for the Devil," by Kent Anderson. It's about a guy named Hanson who gets drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War after a couple of years of college. In boot camp he volunteers for Special Forces, and ends up going straight through Airborne school and Special Forces school as a Spec and sent to VN as a replacement at Command and Control North and running teams of Montagnards on cross-border operations.

It's one man's pretty dark and intense look at the nature of operations over there. I recommend it.

The author is a former police officer and former Special Forces Sergeant. He was awarded two Bronze Stars.

**I just wanted to add that this is a novel, not a true account.**
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
THanks, I may get it next time I travel, which these days is fairly often...
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up.  Still looking forward to reading "Five Years to Freedom" per your recommendation too.

Tate
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You would also enjoy "The Dying Place" by David Maurer.  He was a SF soldier, and his novel is about the later days of CCN.

Also try "SEAL Team One" by Dick Couch.  Couch was a SEAL, and his novel is about a young SEAL ensign's first tour of duty.  This is the best novel about SEAL ops in Viet Nam.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You would also enjoy "The Dying Place" by David Maurer.  He was a SF soldier, and his novel is about the later days of CCN.

Also try "SEAL Team One" by Dick Couch.  Couch was a SEAL, and his novel is about a young SEAL ensign's first tour of duty.  This is the best novel about SEAL ops in Viet Nam.
View Quote

I'll check out "The Dying Place." I read "SEAL Team One" and agree with your recommendation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top