Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 330
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Like others, Queens Gambit was worth the watch. Even though it was a bit slow in places.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Fix the thread bump
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Disenchantment part 3 is up today.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sbhaven:
View Quote

Looking forward to it because lately there hasn't been anything to watch lately. . . . I'm still not sure what they are going for though.

They want memorable characters and emotionally moving plot lines like Futurama but it fails at that. They want clever and witty jokes like old Family Guy and Simpsons but it doesn't quite ever get there.

It's like a half-assed version of all the other animated shows in which its footsteps it follows but with a female lead that occasionally LARPS as Fry. Worth the watch but you forget it almost as soon as you watch it.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched the Night Stalker documentary last night, it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:
View Quote

Just finished it.  Recommended.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
I fire up Netflix and it starts autoplaying a trailer for a Netflix series called Bridgerton.  Apparently in the 1800's about half the members of British nobility and high society were non-whites.
View Quote

If you watch it,  most of the music is performers covering today's pop songs
The books are not racially integrated, and the script adaptation is flawed in several places about it.  Minorities were "always there" in high society, have held significant titles going back many generations,  interracial relationships and kin are accepted without question, etc throughout the series. But at the same time, minorities have only advanced as far as they have because Queen Charlotte (shown to be African in the series, in life she was from Portugal with debate over her skin tone) was chosen by the King to be his wife. The latter was completely out of tone of the rest of the story.

It's like how this season of Grey's Anatomy has a 10 minute monologue on BLM every episode that has nothing to do with the rest of the script. They're both produced by Shonda Rhimes.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

The books are not racially integrated, and the script adaptation is flawed in several places about it.  Minorities were "always there" in high society, have held significant titles going back many generations,  interracial relationships and kin are accepted without question, etc throughout the series. But at the same time, minorities have only advanced as far as they have because Queen Charlotte (shown to be African in the series, in life she was from Portugal with debate over her skin tone) was chosen by the King to be his wife. The latter was completely out of tone of the rest of the story.

It's like how this season of Grey's Anatomy has a 10 minute monologue on BLM every episode that has nothing to do with the rest of the script. They're both produced by Shonda Rhimes.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I fire up Netflix and it starts autoplaying a trailer for a Netflix series called Bridgerton.  Apparently in the 1800's about half the members of British nobility and high society were non-whites.

Kharn

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:04:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#9]

Kharn
View Quote

C U L T U R A L *clap* A P P R O P R I A T I O N *clap*

Literally We Waz Kings The Netflix Original

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Really well done doc. And they nailed the 80’s vibe.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Hillbilly Elegy: phenomenal movie based on a true story of a Harvard student who goes back and remember life in a depressed part of Ohio. They really nailed the characters when compared to their real life versions shown at the end of the movie. From dealing with poverty, to childhood innocence, to family bonds it was excellent. I would say, as long as you were ok with the kids seeing minor drug use, that kids would be ok watching this.

Outside the Wire: steaming hot GARBAGE. From the SJW inserts completely disparaging white folks as a whole while ignoring cultural norms outside of liberal enclaves to the starting ambush with horribad action choreography, to the storyline/plot. Other movies and books have gotten the same plot correct a dozen times over. Forgettable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got around to watching Mosul. Excellent movie that was well worth the watch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#13]
Originally Posted By glockluv:

Looking forward to it because lately there hasn't been anything to watch lately. . . . I'm still not sure what they are going for though.

They want memorable characters and emotionally moving plot lines like Futurama but it fails at that. They want clever and witty jokes like old Family Guy and Simpsons but it doesn't quite ever get there.

It's like a half-assed version of all the other animated shows in which its footsteps it follows but with a female lead that occasionally LARPS as Fry. Worth the watch but you forget it almost as soon as you watch it.

Just my .02
View All Quotes

Just my .02

Alright I'm about half way through it.

It's just not funny. . . I don't think I've laughed much at all. Great production quality, voice overs, animation etc but it's just not funny or clever

Not only that but they're trying to cement the main character as Lesbian/Bisexual. The whole "Gender is not a construct" shit is getting really old. Entire episodes dedicated to it.

Not that it matters much either way, but the whole "Netflix Original" essence is starting to take over what little remains of the show
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#14]
another vote for Queen's Gambit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ckimma:
another vote for Queen's Gambit.
View Quote

Yep.

I finally got around to watching it yesterday and really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
My Octopus Teacher
It's a documentary basically about one guy and a cool ass octopus.
I like nature stuff, the octopus totally blew my mind.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Couple of episodes into Sweet Home. Crazy so far. Really starting to like the South Korean take on monster and zombie shows/movies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gauge0920:

I refuse to watch this show half because it’s a cheap attempt to cash in on covid 19 limiting every possibility of making a tv show, and half because I saw way too many ads for it so I won’t watch it until the show ends entirely and might not even like it after one episode.
View Quote

If you're Gen X you'll probably enjoy it, a lot of throwbacks/callbacks.

Johnny is friggin awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Couple of episodes into Sweet Home. Crazy so far. Really starting to like the South Korean take on monster and zombie shows/movies.
View Quote

Reminded me of Japanese anime shot by actors. Very good. The fact that every side character has at least a little bit of plot and story is a great part of the series as a whole.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The Professor and the Madman was quite good. It begins in 1872 in London and centers around the creation of the first Oxford Dictionary. Exceptional dialog. Sean Penn and Mel Gibson. I have never been a fan of Penn, but he did a great job with the role. It is based on a true story.

I found it quite interesting. We have always had dictionaries, but I never considered the endeavor to create the first.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bg10:

View All Quotes

good four part series.

i know it was more about the chase/case from the LEO side but i wish there was more from Ramirez in there.

some more insight into him, why he did what he did (i know he's a psycho fuck), but it lacked in that department.

still recommend.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Lupin.  French Gentleman Burglar dubbed in English.  I'm only three episodes in but it's quite good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bennjammin] [#23]
Originally Posted By Big_Red_Rocket:
Lupin.  French Gentleman Burglar dubbed in English.  I'm only three episodes in but it's quite good.
View Quote

ugh, can you watch it with subtitles? i hate when shit is dubbed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I just binged Yellowstone and enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#25]

View All Quotes

This was really good.

I lived in the area when all of those killings and abductions were going on. People were living pretty scared for a few months. Some kid that lived across the street from a friend was molested but wasn’t killed.  I came back to Los Angeles in the mid 90’s and was looking at a condo with the wife.  The realtor said that this was the complex where one of Richard Ramirez’s murders happened. The wife said, “Nope, we’re outta here!”

I really liked My Octopus Teacher as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#26]
First season of Demon Slayer is up.

Highly recommended.  It’s one of the best new shows I’ve seen in the past few years.  Anime or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Highly recommended.  It’s one of the best new shows I’ve seen in the past few years.  Anime or otherwise.
View Quote

I'll take a look.

Bet it doesn't hold a candle to Goblin Slayer
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#29]

I'll take a look.

View All Quotes

I'll take a look.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:03:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#30]
Originally Posted By Martlet:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I just binged Yellowstone and enjoyed it.
View Quote

@Martlet
The Kevin Costner series Yellowstone does not appear to be streaming on Netflix.

Generally this thread discusses shows/content that streams on Netflix and not on other streaming platforms.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bennjammin:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bennjammin:
Originally Posted By Big_Red_Rocket:

Yes, you can watch it in French with subs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife has been watching Bridgerton. It's supposed to pretty much be a fantasy historical cosplay Regency thing. Much like Hamilton. It definitely is that. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't intended to be a documentary.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mp40Gunner:
My wife has been watching Bridgerton. It's supposed to pretty much be a fantasy historical cosplay Regency thing. Much like Hamilton. It definitely is that. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't intended to be a documentary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#34]

https://i.imgur.com/3Rz5y63.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#35]
This one slipped under my radar somehow.

Black Sea Official Trailer #1 (2015) - Jude Law Movie HD

No SJW nonsense, probably some technical inaccuracies but not enough to piss me off. Good flick.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#36]
just a heads up guys, as i've been watching a lot of shows in HBOMAX, i started a new streaming thread to discuss other streaming services not covered in the netflix or amazon thread.

enjoy!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/The-All-Streaming-Services-Thread-Netflix-Amazon-Hulu-HBOMAX-Youtube-/5-2420485/
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#37]
"The Dig" is a very well done movie about a dig in 1938 England that finds a 7th century ship.

starring: Ralph Fiennes, Carey Mulligan and Lilly James
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
"The Dig" is a very well done movie about a dig in 1938 England that finds a 7th century ship.

starring: Ralph Fiennes, Carey Mulligan and Lilly James
View Quote

Saw it last night. Good movie well worth your time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#39]
South Korean movie Space Sweepers is up on Netflix.

Space Sweepers | Official Trailer | Netflix
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been watching the last season of Daredevil, the Netflix series. Its probably the best season, shame they couldn't make anymore.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gotterdammerung] [#41]
Altered Carbon Season 1 was outstanding. Lots of violence, sex, and social commentary in a gritty hard sci-fi future. Its a show you really have to pay attention to and I watched it twice. The tech allows people to "wear" other bodies. You see some scenes completely differently the 2nd time when you know whos who.

2nd season with Anthony Mackie sucked though.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1WYnJF1Pwo
View Quote

Saw the trailer for that last night.

Looks good, I'm excited to watch!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Gotterdammerung:
Altered Carbon Season 1 was outstanding. Lots of violence, sex, and social commentary in a gritty hard sci-fi future. Its a show you really have to pay attention to and I watched it twice. The tech allows people to "wear" other bodies. You see some scenes completely differently the 2nd time when you know whos who.

2nd season with Anthony Mackie sucked though.  
View Quote

I enjoyed S1, but once I heard that for the main character Kovacs they were replacing this actor:

With this actor:

I was out.  

Based on everything I've seen and heard about S2 I made the right call.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I'll take a look.

@Hunter-Killer

Finished Demon Slayer!

I have to say it was a pretty decent recommendation.

The salt through which I measure anime these days is basically how much anime "cringe" moments it has and I thought they did their best to keep it as limited as possible given the TV-14 rating.

I liked it enough that when I finished I looked for the movie (which is a continuation of when they get on the train)

Just in case you haven't seen it, on Amazon Prime they have an anime called "Memories" which somehow I had never heard of. 1995 film, three different stories, and some of it is worked on by the guys who did Akira.

It's the best anime I've seen in the last 10 years (even though it was made in 1995).

Check it out if you haven't seen it;

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Keib:
The Professor and the Madman was quite good. It begins in 1872 in London and centers around the creation of the first Oxford Dictionary. Exceptional dialog. Sean Penn and Mel Gibson. I have never been a fan of Penn, but he did a great job with the role. It is based on a true story.

I found it quite interesting. We have always had dictionaries, but I never considered the endeavor to create the first.
View Quote

It's  a good book also. By an author who writes about some interesting subject matter. I have 5 of his books.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#46]

I enjoyed S1, but once I heard that for the main character Kovacs they were replacing this actor:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/18/05/1517571912-joel-kinnaman-altered-carbon.jpeg?crop=0.487xw:1.00xh;0.325xw,0&resize=480:*

With this actor:

https://www.nme.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/mackie.jpg

I was out.  

Based on everything I've seen and heard about S2 I made the right call.
View Quote

They did and season 2 was awful.

I really enjoyed season 1

couldn't even make it through the third episode on S2
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#47]

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1WYnJF1Pwo

So, watched Space Sweepers. Not sure what to make of it other than there is oodles of special effects in it. It kept me entertained though. I may watch it a second time to see if there are things I missed.

At times the movie seems to try and be a kids movie with some slapstick kids humor (at least in one or two scenes) despite it's TV-MA rating. At other times an adult movie with some mild gore. For what ever reason I had a hard time following what was going on with certain scenes. In some cases it seems like they were jumping back and forth to tell backstory. Some scenes just abruptly change from one scene to the next. That just may be how South Koreans do their story/plot lines in their movies/shows.

The mix of English voice and Korean voice/English subtitling in a few scenes will be a turnoff for some. Didn't check if they had English dubbed option as I like to watch in the original voice/audio format version.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Really enjoying Dark and Ripper Street...
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#49]

So, watched Space Sweepers. Not sure what to make of it other than there is oodles of special effects in it. It kept me entertained though. I may watch it a second time to see if there are things I missed.

At times the movie seems to try and be a kids movie with some slapstick kids humor (at least in one or two scenes) despite it's TV-MA rating. At other times an adult movie with some mild gore. For what ever reason I had a hard time following what was going on with certain scenes. In some cases it seems like they were jumping back and forth to tell backstory. Some scenes just abruptly change from one scene to the next. That just may be how South Koreans do their story/plot lines in their movies/shows.

The mix of English voice and Korean voice/English subtitling in a few scenes will be a turnoff for some. Didn't check if they had English dubbed option as I like to watch in the original voice/audio format version.
View Quote

Appreciate the context. A bit disappointing but I'll still give it a watch and see.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Just finishing the Witcher series. Really enjoying it.
Page / 330
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top