Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2002 5:31:53 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a 98 Dodge Durango.  It has 45K miles.  Does anyone have any experiences with this particular model year?  I'm concerned with reliability and longevity.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Grin_N_Barrett used to have one, and his twin currently drives a 2001...

Here's a couple of pics of Grin's Durango, that I Photoshopped for him, when he advertised it for sale.

[img]http://www.great-river.com/durango-before.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.great-river.com/durango-after.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad has a '98 Durango with the next size engine down from the 5.9L engine. It has the SLT Plus options package. He's really happy with it and it's got around 60K miles on it.

I bought my 2000 Durango based on his experience and recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife drives a 2001 Durango R/T, and has had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
In the last several years, Dodge has really come a long way in their quality!  I have owned 2 Rams since 98, and my next vehicle will be a Dodge also.  I used to be a Chevy guy, but after having a Dodge, I doubt I will ever go back.  I know a few people with Durango's, and they LOVE them.  I say go for it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
They had a Durango where I used to work. It's fuel milage was 15mpg on the highway, and less then 10 in town. That should be enough to put you on Saddam's christmas card list.

It did have plenty of power with the 5.9 liter engine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
It's an SUV/Truck!  Show me another one that does signifigantly better!?!?  10-18mpg is to be expected!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the last several years, Dodge has really come a long way in their quality!  I have owned 2 Rams since 98, and my next vehicle will be a Dodge also.  I used to be a Chevy guy, but after having a Dodge, I doubt I will ever go back.  I know a few people with Durango's, and they LOVE them.  I say go for it!
View Quote

Correct,

As one of the resident MOPAR guys here is my honest opinion.

Chrysler Corp. has ALWAYS had top notch engineering, the problems they've had have been with styling (yes, some prefer GM & Fords styling) and QUALITY CONTROL. This was not always the case with the quality and it is getting back on track.

Engines:

5.2L = 318 cid
5.9L = 360 cid

Both of these are small blocks (LA or Late "A" engines).

A = small block
B = big block, e.g. - 383,400
RB = Raised big block, e.g.- 440
The hemi is in the same family as the RB but has    more bolts per cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The only problem with Chrysler vehicles is that they can't build a transmission. Sorry, but it's true.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 2001 and it's the first vehicle I've owned in a long time that if I put the seat back as far as it goes I cannot reach the pedals.  Plenty of room in the front, plenty of room in the back and still a lot in the cargo area.

Do they make a model with a 3rd seat in the way back?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do they make a model with a 3rd seat in the way back?
View Quote

Sure, the 3rd seat option was one of the biggest reasons we bought ours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top