Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 2:47:57 PM EDT
Ten years driving, never gotten a ticket, only a single warning, until today that is. Ok, guilty as charged, I was doing 80 in a 60, on I55 going south into New Orleans. The fact that I got a ticket doesn't bother me, even though I would much rather spend the money on ammo. The thing that upsets me was that the officer was so rude. I was yes sir/no sir. He was "why was your ass going so fast?". I was "No excuse officer." He was "Well, why didn't you pull over sooner, I had to drive two miles to catch up to your ass!" I explained that there was no safe place for me to pull over. He said "I don't believe that shit, I don't believe it at all." It was true, there was no really safe place to pull over. I wasn't even sure if I was being pulled over to begin with. I came around a curve, and there were two marked cars on the side, with two officers standing on the shoulder, pointing at cars, and waving their arms around like a couple of drunks. No big deal says I, there will be an officer right up here to do the paperwork, since these two guys just clocked me. Well, no car up ahead, but I slowed down, looking for an off ramp so I get far enough over to make room for the officer to walk around. Well, here he comes, flashing lights, etc. I quickly offer up the insurance papers, but he wasn't interested in it. It was a quick get out of the car, and give me your license. Two minutes of paperwork, a quick signature, and I was on my way. None the less, I expected a more curteous experience. Even when I was pulled over and searched in Nashville, or when the car I was in was searched in San Antonio, the officers were very curteous. This guy stepped out of the car like he was my boot camp drill, and started using profanity, even though I made an effort to be honest and curteous. Maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe he was just a tool. I've met alot of cops, but this was the only one that was the sterotypical cop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears that the officer in question was a bit upset that he had to get into his patrol car and chase you.  The "pointing at cars" and "waving their arms around like a couple of drunks" were probably signals to you to pull over.  There is no excuse for the use of profanity, mild or strong in an enforcement contact, though.  You could file a complaint with the officer's agency.  That's your decision to make.  You were going to get the ticket anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
if you want to speed, come to Houston.
the speed limits say 55 but you can do 80 and you won't get pulled over.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, he was going to have to get in his car anyway. Not like I could actually go anywhere. Like I said, I was guilty. I'm not however, telepathic. I can't read the guy's mind at 80 mph. I was as polite as could be, he was rude and profane. Like I said, all my previous experiences with LE were pleasant, until this one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
About the closest you will get to sympathy on this forum is the comment I made that there is no excuse for the use of profanity, mild or strong in an enforcement contact.  The officer was wrong to use it.  

You didn't list an email, so I can't inform you that I'm moving this topic to General Discussion where you might find a more sympathetic ear.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if you want to speed, come to Houston.
the speed limits say 55 but you can do 80 and you won't get pulled over.
View Quote

I would beg to differ... This is the view out of the Stokes's passenger side mirror as we were on our way to Houston.  

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/Stokes%2FCop%2520in%2520Texas%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that profanity was not a good move on the LEO part.  There is a time and place for profanity and I don't think a traffic stop with someone who is being cooperative is the right place.

When I worked the road I was always nice and polite.  Heck, I was even nice and polite to the A-holes who were Mother F-ing me and calling me every name they could think of.  I always made it a point to be polite.

Now that I work narcotics.....that is a diff. story..hehe!

medcop
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe he was just a tool. I've met alot of cops, but this was the only one that was the sterotypical cop.
View Quote
The fact that you've met a lot of cops but only one was an a-hole is more significant than the stereotype.

That said, little tape-recorder is good for busting the bad ones.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
COPS ARE DICKS EXPECT MORE OF THEM BEING DICKS AND IT WILL NOT BOTHER YOU TOO MUCH. ANOTHER HINT IS CARRY A RECORD WITH YOU SOMETIMES AND TRY TO GET IT ON TAPE IF YOU SPEED ALOT THAT IS.
AS FOR BEING SEARCH IN NASHVILLE WHY WAS THAT OCCURING?,NO COPS HAS THE RIGHT TO SEARCH YOUR PERSON OR CAR FOR MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS.

GO AHEAD AND FLAME AWAY LEO'S
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
COPS ARE DICKS EXPECT MORE OF THEM BEING DICKS AND IT WILL NOT BOTHER YOU TOO MUCH.
View Quote

All encompassing stereotypes such as this one are just plain wrong, dude.  Cops are just like arfcom members.  Most are generally pleasant, some are exceptionally pleasant, some are assholes.  Where do you fit in?  

(Like we don't all know the answer to [u]that[/u] one.)

[:D]

Shouldn't you be getting ready for school?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
COPS ARE DICKS EXPECT MORE OF THEM BEING DICKS AND IT WILL NOT BOTHER YOU TOO MUCH.
View Quote

All encompassing stereotypes such as this one are just plain wrong, dude.  

(Like we don't all know the answer to [u]that[/u] one.)
View Quote

Based on my experience, he is closer to correct than you imagine.

Examples?  Glad you asked.[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]

1- In a county here, the sheriff is in DEEP trouble for strip searching traffic stops.  Even after an Atlanta TV station did a story blowing the lid off, it continued.  Now the Feds are involved. 4th Amendment anyone?

2- In another county here, a "professional" decided he would Tazer a truck driver that was "talking back" to him.  The local DA threw out the charges against the truck driver as a result of the cop car tape which showed the entire incident.  Who wants to be a Millionare?

3- In the state of Georgia, local and county law are required to obtain a license to use radar in traffic enforcement.  Clayton County decided to forge signatures on the paperwork when their license expired.  As a result, THOUSANDS of tickets were tossed out when this was discovered.

4-In another county, they didn't even bother to get the license.  Used radar anyway, then wrote the ticket up as "pacing" the speeder.  A judge grew suspicious and investigated.  More tickets thrown out.  Don't you love "professionals" in action?

5-Last year a kid on a motorbike collided with a truck and was trapped under the truck.  A passerby stopped to help.  The radiator was cracked and leaking hot fluid on him.  The passerby moved the motorbike and truck to comfort the dying child.
Along comes Barney, and he throws a fit.  Arrests the passerby for "altering the crime scene"!  However, media coverage and calls to the governor's office(including one by me...)have that fixed.

I could go on and on to the character limit.  These people are extremely dangerous and not to be trusted in any manner, shape or fashion.

"Just plain wrong?"[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rolleyes2.gif[/img]      
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats on finally joining the Traffic Offenders Club.  As for the COP being an asshole, well, you should write, call, email, anything you can to make this situation known.  Even if the officer doesn't get in trouble, people need to report bad eggs. If you don't, they will rot, then it's too late.

Bad cops suck, but, they aren't all bad. Root out the bad ones while you still can.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Be an asshole back next time. I would have told him that if his "ass" wasn't so fat and slow it wouldn't have taken him two miles to get in his car and catch up to me. Screw him, what's he going to do, write me another ticket? They can write me tickets till their f*cking hand falls off and I won't give a shit if they are a dick. Also, always make sure and tell them that they will see your lawyer in court appealing these tickets into oblivion.

I decided when I was 17 and got thrown in jail by a dickhead cop for saying "ass" that they would all get the old, treat me as you would like to be treated bit. As a whole, most are pleasant and curteous, but there are some major ass clowns out there and these guys should get no respect.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#14]
There are no such thing as bad cops - only assholes with badges.

P3[pyro][^][heavy]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NO COPS HAS THE RIGHT TO SEARCH YOUR PERSON OR CAR FOR MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS.
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=111531[/url]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are no such thing as bad cops - only assholes with badges.

P3[pyro][^][heavy]
View Quote

I will have to agree with you on that one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have to go into to the courthouse today at 3:00 for a speeding violation.
This is my third since news years [V]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you can get 3 tickets in 4 months [b]in Texas[/b] no less, you must really having a driving problem.  When your insurance company finds out, you're going to have a serious rise in rates!

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I am not going to say squat. [BD]

c-rock
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Got my first and only one in Aug. 1970, still pissed about it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately,  The first ticket is the hardest one to get they just seem to get easier to come by after that, believe me I have 6 in 8 years, still amazed I have my license[:D]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If you can get 3 tickets in 4 months [b]in Texas[/b] no less, you must really having a driving problem.  When your insurance company finds out, you're going to have a serious rise in rates!

View Quote

Thanks for that nice comment. I have lots of problems.

This one was $91
The previous two: I opted for Defensive Driving and Probation. Guess that probation is shot now.

This one was for 35 in a 20. I was never on this road, it was residential. I was trying to avoid a intersection with a train passing through. Drove right past the cop doing 35 thinking I was OK. He pulls me over. There was a small city park ahead and the road was posted for 20MPH.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry Boom, where the heck were ya, Murphy?  I would never expect 20 mph except a school zone!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry Boom, where the heck were ya, Murphy?  I would never expect 20 mph except a school zone!
View Quote

I live near North Fort Worth,
You have Saginaw, Uless, Haltom City, Keller, and other dozen small city PDs combined with the Ft Worth PD.  It is hard to go 20ft without seeing a squad car.
Saginaw is the worst. This is one main street and four patrol vechiles. They will tailgate you all the way through town for no reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top