Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 7:21:47 PM EDT
It says in the help section:
"To compact and back up mail folders
Select a mail folder, click the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.

To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx"). "

I compact it and the use the find function but no file exists with that extension .dbx?

I need to backup all my saved emails..

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You can click on file then export.  Then back them up on floppy etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Search for *.dbx
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Never trust Bill Gates !!

I copy the original folders to CD-ROM (or floppy if you have VERY little email). For WIN98 you can find them in C:\windows\application data\identities\{a_whole_bunch_of_numbers}\microsoft\outlook express.

You'd be best back up this whole directory, and I suggest you "compact all folders" first. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Search for *.dbx
View Quote

Did that (after compacting) nothing came up?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can click on file then export.  Then back them up on floppy etc.
View Quote

It runs the process but where does it export them to? No option for directory or such.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I copy the original folders to CD-ROM (or floppy if you have VERY little email). For WIN98 you can find them in C:\windows\application data\identities\{a_whole_bunch_of_numbers}\microsoft\outlook express.

You'd be best back up this whole directory, and I suggest you "compact all folders" first. Good luck.
View Quote

Running 2000 professional.. outllok express folder just has dll's
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Try searching for a *.pst file and back that up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try searching for a *.pst file and back that up.
View Quote

None of those and I tried a search for all files created in last 2 days.. nothing pertaining.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It should be as satcong says. Even with Win2K Pro, OE 5+ uses .dbx files.  I run OE 6, and I've got .dbx files, and my fiancee just backed up her Win2K Pro system using the .dbx files.  You're sure you've checked the whole HD?

But... I've had a similar problem before, and there is a workaround.  It's ugly... but it'll work.  Select all of the messages in a folder.  Right-click, then click on forward as attachment.  Either email it to yourself (on another account) or File->Save As and save it as an email (.eml) and back it up on disk.  

To restore you just open it up and save all the emails.  Points off for style, but it gets the job done.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Running 2000 professional.. outllok express folder just has dll's
View Quote

Win2k the mail boxes are stored:
Documents and settings\{Username}\local settings\application data\identities\{long ass description}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Copy these for backup. Easy as that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top