Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 1:09:42 PM EDT
I went to lunch with a friend today. A few minutes after I started eating a Caesar Salad my lips started to swell up. I guess I had an allergic reaction to something. It wasn't painful, only a bit tingly. They are still swolen although not nearly as much as earlier. Any opinions as to what may have happened?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went to lunch with a friend today. A few minutes after I started eating a Caesar Salad my lips started to swell up. I guess I had an allergic reaction to something. It wasn't painful, only a bit tingly. They are still swolen although not nearly as much as earlier. Any opinions as to what may have happened?
View Quote

Were there any nuts in the salad?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Bungholio,
Tricky sig pic u have there [:D].
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Were there any nuts in the salad?
View Quote

I feel like I'm being set up. [:D]

No nuts. Just lettuce, dressing, cheese, and croutons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Boom, I think you're the first to notice that. I tried to make it subtle to see if anyone would catch it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Caesar salad dressing has raw eggs in it.  
Do you have any allergy to eggs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had a reaction to eggs before. I'm wondering if there was something on the lettuce and it wasn't thoroughly washed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine is allergic to MSG, and his lips swell also if he eats the stuff. Usually only lasts a couple of hours. I am also plagued with an allergic reaction. Whenever I'm around naked women, my dick gets hard. I do not have any plans to have it treated.[sex]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same problem as gamesniper...I don't mind it at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
sounds like an allergic reaction.  Doesnt necessarily have to have been food you ate.  Could have been food against yours being prepared or even off the hands on whoever was preparing yours.  Doesnt take a whole lot of antigen to cause a reaction and you can develop a reaction over time to something that never bothered you before.  Just remember what you had today for comparisson in case it happens again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a woman who almost suffocated when she ate some Brazil nuts. Her tongue swelled up and she almost bought the farm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't ceasars salad have a dressing made with anchovies? If so, you probably had a reaction to the fish in the dressing. Have you ever had a reaction to fish or shellfish such as lobster, crab, shrimp, etc.? To be on the safe side, stay away from fish and shellfish until you have a chance to go to a Dr. for a checkup and allergen panel. FWIW, anaphylactic reactions are usually quite mild the first time you notice them. The second time you are exposed to the allergen is usually much worse and could cause death. Go see a Dr. before eating sheelfish or fish again. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doesn't ceasars salad have a dressing made with anchovies? If so, you probably had a reaction to the fish in the dressing. Have you ever had a reaction to fish or shellfish such as lobster, crab, shrimp, etc.? To be on the safe side, stay away from fish and shellfish until you have a chance to go to a Dr. for a checkup and allergen panel. FWIW, anaphylactic reactions are usually quite mild the first time you notice them. The second time you are exposed to the allergen is usually much worse and could cause death. Go see a Dr. before eating sheelfish or fish again. YMMV
View Quote

possible but there is quite a difference between having an allergic reaction versus anaphylactic shock.  I have been allergic to cats for the past 20 years.  Same thing happens everytime, eyes get watery and I get a runny nose. It all depends on your bodies response to that antigen. You could do allergy skin tests if you really want to know and play it safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top