Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 8:16:46 AM EDT
How did you ask your wife (or ex)? Just wondering for no particular reason! [;)]

Just want some food for thought...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
i took her hand, looked at her eyes, and said,

"but honey, this over and under will really improve my scores!!"

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, I'll clarify, how did you ask her to MARRY you! Geez.... [:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
does she know it's coming?

i knew it was as we picked out the ring together.  well, i told him what style i like, and he picked out the diamond (great job, honey!).

then i hopped on a plane to AZ, stayed for a week.  when we were able to pick up the ring (had to have it sized) we went out to dinner and he asked.

ain't the most romantic, but that's okay because i'm not that mushy.  i'd rather have fun and enjoy his company than have a great story to tell.

what are you thinking of, by the way?  [;)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
From our www.theknot.com web page:

"Matt and I took a trip to China and Hong Kong to visit friends and relatives (Matt's cousin Roger who worked there and Roger's girlfriend Jess). On the last day of our trip, Matt and I went up to Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. We carted all of his camera gear ostensibly to get "one last shot of Hong Kong Harbor during magic hour." High winds and overcast skies cut the photo opp. short. As Matt bent on one knee to pack up his gear, he looked at me and said, "Well, I might as well do what I really came here to do."
I gave him a puzzled 'What are you talking about?' look, and he said,
"That is, to ask you to marry me. Will you?"
My response was, "Oh my God...of course!"

I told her later that if she had said no I was gonna rip up her passport and sell her into white slavery...... [:D]

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I asked my wife in the flower garden at the Belagio in Vegas.  Just dropped down on one knee in front of everyone there and asked.  I'm not one for crowds and came close to passing out [:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
does she know it's coming?

i knew it was as we picked out the ring together.  well, i told him what style i like, and he picked out the diamond (great job, honey!).

then i hopped on a plane to AZ, stayed for a week.  when we were able to pick up the ring (had to have it sized) we went out to dinner and he asked.

ain't the most romantic, but that's okay because i'm not that mushy.  i'd rather have fun and enjoy his company than have a great story to tell.

what are you thinking of, by the way?  [;)]
View Quote

She knows it's coming. We've picked out a ring already, the rock size is up to me. We'll just say I could have bought a new AR for the deposit alone! [:(]

We're both very busy, and don't have much time to go anywhere for more than one night. I'm a pilot in training, and so is she, so cash is low. I want to make this special as I can, but I don't have a lot of options right now. Just need some input.

For those of you that know about my relationship problems a few weeks ago, there is more to the story. Things have taken a dramatic turn for the good, but I can't explain that to you just yet! [:P]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I asked my father inlaw......who sent me to my mother inlaw.......

I then went to see the now MrsStormbringer and took the promise ring off her finger....natrually she freaked as she had never taken it off before....

I passed her the box and said....here try this one on instead....
She shreaked took the box put on the ring and started to cry..

Her parents then came into the room along with her little brother ( 8 at the time) he asked...

" does this mean she accepted he Proposition?"

LOL

We still get a laugh out of that...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I hadn't popped the question. We never got married but I would have saved a ton of money by not getting engaged.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She knows it's coming. We've picked out a ring already, the rock size is up to me. We'll just say I could have bought a new AR for the deposit alone! [:(]
View Quote

rock size is overrated, IMO.  mine is just a smidge over a half carat, (but who can tell).  we went to shaneco.com and you can "build" your rings there.  i tried my ring on with the different sizes and shapes of loose diamonds.  i found that the full carat was WAY TOO BIG.  i'm too active (hiking, fishing, car repair/maintenance) and didn't want it to catch on things.  besides, you can always "up"grade later when money isn't so much an issue.  makes a nice anniversary gift.

[quote/We're both very busy, and don't have much time to go anywhere for more than one night. I'm a pilot in training, and so is she, so cash is low. I want to make this special as I can, but I don't have a lot of options right now. Just need some input.
View Quote

is there a special restaurant or place that the two of you go?  something that you consider "your place."  or some state or city park with some pretty wildflowers in the background at this time of year sets the mood nicely.  honestly, if you're sincere, she won't care.

maybe make her favorite dinner for her.

you gotta remember that being asked to marry someone is "special" enough.  how you tailor that experience to your lives is what makes it even better.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I proposed at Cave Point in Door County, WI. My family owns a home up there, and we were visiting.

We were at Cave Point on a cliff overlooking Lake Michigan at sunset. There was a nice breeze in the air and the sky was failry clear, just a few puffy clouds here and there.  I told her I had something to ask, got down on one knee, and proposed.

She said yes! Then I told her I wanted to get married on sweetest day (10-19) and well...

Honestly though, she loves it.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Went to Fla. with her to see/ask her parents. After a little "chat" her pop said OK. That night we all went to the beach and as the sun was setting me and the "Mrs. Goblin" went off by ourselves. When we were sufficiently alone, I got on my knee and "popped away."

Of course, she said yes. When we got back to the house, we noticed I still had sand on my knee so we brushed it off into a ziplock baggie for posterity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She said yes! Then I told her I wanted to get married on sweetest day (10-19) and well...

View Quote

you're just lucky it falls on a Saturday.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#14]
We had talked about marriage beforehand and both knew that's where we were headed.  I was ready to ask her several weeks before I did, but I had a two-week trip planned to Europe, and I didn't want to get engaged and then be gone that long.  It was hard enough being apart from her that long as it was.  She tells me now she thought I might ask the day I got back from Europe, but I didn't.  I didn't want to be that obvious.  

I waited a couple days.  She had a cold that day, so I went to the grocery store and got some fruit and things for her and took them to her house.  We made dinner and then we hung out on the couch for a while.  While I was trying to screw up the courage to actually pop the question, she asked me what I was thinking.  I thought, "Okay, here goes."  I had written a poem about why I wanted to spend my life together with her.  The last part of it went like this:

"I cherish you.  I love you so.
Thus there is something I must know,
My precious, lovely Lori Ann,
Will you marry me?"

She screamed and hugged me and got tears in her eyes, and then she remembered to say, "Yes I will."

I had looked some at rings and diamonds, but I waited until after I asked to go shopping with her.  I wanted to be sure I got something she liked.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#16]
True story:

I gave Ms. White Horse the choice between a ring or a Randall Made Knife.  Here is how that crafty wife of mine worked it out.  She choose the Randall.  I naturally wanted to get a ring for her as well, so I picked out a Moldovite stone set on a silver band.

I proposed on one knee and offered her the knife, which she gladly took.  She put on the ring as well.  Later, she says casually, "I love the knife, but I can't wear it all the time and I'm concerned that this ring won't hold up."  Doh!  She now has a nice filigree white gold estate ring with a small diamond circa 1913.  I didn't mind since the ring didn't cost a bundle and looks great.

I told Pete, the crusty shop foreman at Randall, and he stated that he had never heard of a Randall Knife being given as an engagement gift before.

-White Horse

p.s.  Yes, we are the REAL Addams family.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And, yeah, that's me in that pic!
View Quote

You have got to be the smallest person on the smallest horse I've ever seen [BD]

View Quote

for a reason.  i defy you to photoshop me!  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Christmas morning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#19]
She came over for dinner that evening....
We had a lovely dinner, soft music, and lots of laughs...
And right before dessert, I popped the question.....and of course if she had say "No" then no dessert (with whip cream) for her. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#20]
We talked about it before hand, so she knew it was coming, but didn't know when.  The day before Easter last year we went to Dairy Queen and got blizzards.  I previously arranged for them to stick the ring (.05 carat diamond in a custom heart shaped ring) in the bottom of her blizzard in a little plastic bag.  We went to a park in town and had a picnic lunch at the gazebo.  She had almost finished her blizzard and saw the corner of the bag.  She was pretty surprised when she pulled the bag out and I took it and got down on one knee to put the ring on her finger (after she said yes of course).

Another ring will be added in 20 days!  [:D]

The next day the sign in front of the DQ read
"Hey Engagement Ring in the Blizzard Guy!
Did She Say Yes???"
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I sent her an email. I thought it was fitting since we met online. She din't respond to it so I asked her why. She said it wasn't a funny joke. I said it wasn't a joke. She said oh, in that case yes. I made the mistake of letting her plan the wedding. I figured we would just go to Vegas with some friends, but noooo. We're getting married in July on a cruise ship headed for Alaska with family.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I went with the set her up, make her think that the ring's coming, disappoint her when "the moment" passes, and ask when she's convinced herself that the time is past.

[b]SCENARIO:[/b] We had looked at rings a few months prior. We attended her brother's wedding a week before Thanksgiving, and I asked her Dad on Thanksgiving night. (He approved..at least, he didn't disapprove).

I told her that I wanted to go look at rings again. She asked me what had peaked my sudden interest in rings again...I mumbled something or another about her brother's wedding, and said that I wanted to take her out to dinner the next weekend at our favorite place on Friday night.  

Friday night came around, and when we got to the restaurant, we were seated next to an ~85 year old couple...[b](perfect, she thought!)[/b] I ordered a bottle of wine and had a great dinner [b](perfect, she thought!)[/b]. I got up and went to the bathroom, and came back and said, "Ready to go?". We hopped in my car, drove to my apartment, and I promptly went in and fell sound asleep next to her without saying goodnight [;)].[b](Son of a...she thought!)[/b] The next morning, when we work up, I told her that I didn't want to go looking for rings for a while, complained about the $$ I'd need to make a downpayment, etc. She put her head on my shoulder, and I pulled the ring box out from the nightstand and asked her "Is this one OK?"

No hype, no one else around...our wedding is two months from today! Good luck with the plans.  squibload out
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I never did ask.  We met on a blind date and both knew imediately that we would get married and there was never a need to ask the proverbial question about "if", only when.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#24]
My girlfriend went on a family vacation with me and all my family on Memorial Day Weekend four years ago. I knew that she had to be thinking that this had to be the weekend. So there was now way to go off by ourselves without her seeing it coming. So I took her trout fishing because I knew she would be not so thrilled. So I proceeded to fish while she watched. She wanted to try after I started catching them. She knew that I had bought her a rod and reel so I let her try to catch some on her own but I didn't put any bait on she complained that she wanted something different to fish with.  I had already put her ring on a steel leader and hooked it on to the swivel and asked her if she could catch anything on that!  Her mouth dropped open and if it was not for the hip waders I could have had some action right there on the spot but what can I say. The fishing was good! We go to the same spot every Memorial Day. This year my little girl will be there!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

you're just lucky it falls on a Saturday.  
View Quote

It's called "Good Planning". I knew Sweetest Day was on a Saturday this year, that's why we waited a year to get married. On top of dating for 6 years.

Gotta be sure...

Av.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I was originally going to pop the question at Bayona’s in New Orleans during a little trip we had planned.  The crescent city has meant much to us and we try to go as many times as we can get away every year …but something happed.

A very to real SHTF scenario.  One night about 3 weeks before the trip I had it out of the safe looking at it guessing how many guns that I could have bought with the funds used in purchasing the ring.  The next morning I go to the safe for something else and I don’t see the ring.  So the next 18 hours of hell I couldn’t eat, sleep, hell I could barely function.  When I finally found it I decided then and there I no longer wanted possession of it and I wasn’t waiting for the trip.

So within 24 hour it was hers. I filled my dining room with 115 candles, dozen roses, strawberries, and champagne.  I also put the ring box closed on the table where it could be easily seen.  I took a glass to a local shop and had them cut the stem, put the ring on, and had them reattach it.   She came home and knew what was going on.  She also couldn’t keep her eyes off the box on the table I told her to set down and have a drink.  She didn’t notice the ring till the last sip when the ring slid up and hit the top of the glass.

[img]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=229133[/img]

[url]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=35393[/url]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine was an experience I don't think I'll forget.  The ring buying alone was memorable.  I had decided that I was going to propose on our anniversary.  One Friday afternoon, I start ring shopping.  I had a pretty good idea of what she would like, so I felt confident.  The first jeweler I went to had two beautiful rings, but I wanted to look around before I spent that kind of money.  I go to a few more places, but didn't see anything I really liked.  The next week, I went back to the original jeweler and spent an hour deciding between the two.  They were both platinum, but one had a single 1.8ct stone and the other was a three stone at 1.9ct total weight.  I finally decided on the three stone, as I don't like solitaires that are that big (plus it was $2k more).  I did the paperwork, put my deposit down, and decided that I had to go get a beer.  It was weird how freaked out I was after putting down the deposit even though I had already made my decision.  So I ask the lady in the store where the nearest place was, and she points me to a bar at the end of the shopping center the jeweler was in.  I thank her and walk out the door.

Well, I am completely lost in thought as I walk in the door.  Somebody could have robbed and beaten me and I probably would not have noticed.  I sit down and order a beer, still totally lost in thought.  Next thing I know, this guy starts conversation with me.  He said I looked stressed out, and seemed very attentive.  I told him I had just bought a ring for my girlfriend and with that he said "well, have a good life" and walked away.  I then looked around, trying to make sense of his reaction.  Not a single woman in the place, and everyone was staring at me.  I was too absorbed in thought to give a shit that I was in a gay bar and had another beer.  Figured it made for a funny story anyway.

[b][i]continued...[/b][/i]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#29]
[b][i]...continued[/b][/i]

Now the engagement.  My planned proposal was a month away, and I was dying trying to keep my mouth shut.  Although the secret was hard to keep (didn't want to tell [b]anyone[/b], people like to talk), I have never had so much fun lying in my life.  I called her parents two nights before I planned on asking her and told them of my intentions.  They were [b]very[/b] nice, excited, and supportive.  That weekend, we went to the beach to meet my parents.  My plan was to ask her just after midnight on Saturday, which was our anniversary.  Well, she had a few drinks and got sleepy.  She went to lie down and began to get crampy...she started her period.  Great, I have a half drunk woman on her period who does not want to get out of bed, and it's only 2200.  The next two hours were torturous...I was dying of anticipation.  I finally convince her to get out of bed and come down to the beach with me when midnight struck.  We get down there and I said some nice things about how much I loved her, etc.  She said some things too, and we turned to go back up.  I said "Wait, I forgot to tell you something else..." and dropped down on one knee.  It was pitch black, but she could see me drop down.  "...I want you to be my wife."  She immediately started crying, and I held the ring there under a flashlight.  She just stared, with her hands over her mouth crying.  At this point, I got a little nervous and requested some kind of input, preferably the word "yes".  She screamed "Of course I'll marry you" and jumped on me.  We go back to the house and my parents are waiting there with a video camera and gifts.  It was awesome.

She had no clue it was coming because I told her there was no way I could afford it before 2002 (this was in July 2001).  Miraculously, she was feeling much better.

The next week, we went into the jeweler, and the woman told me how lucky I was because another couple had looked at the ring I bought and came back the next day to buy it.  About a month later, my fiancee and I were at a bar/restaraunt when a girl I knew came up to say hi.  I hadn't seen her in a while, but knew she had gotten engaged.  Just as the two were looking at each other's rings, my mouth almost hit the floor.  The ring on her finger was the one that I ended up deciding against, and she was the woman who came back with her boyfriend the next day to buy the ring I bought!!  Small world.  By the way, these are estate pieces, so they are very unique and easily identifiable.  Well, that's the end of my story.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#30]
We had been dating for a little over 2 years, and on our 1 year anniversary of dating we hiked into the mountains in north central Colorado and had planted a tree in our own little place a ways off the trail. We were really in to each other and thought it would be neat to have a tree to come back to and show our kids that we had planted this before we had even gotten married. And we had always planned on getting married. We had visited it a few times since we had planted it. On one Saturday after the ring came in (I had to have it made in white gold) I picked her up from her house for a day of just hangin out. About 10 miles from her house on the way to Fort Collins, I mentioned that it was a beautiful day and that we should go check out the tree. To my surprise she said OK and we headed up there. It took us a while to hike back into it. Once we got there we checked out the tree and it was doing good. We took a water break and we were just standing there enjoying the view of the surrounding mountain peaks. She said to me, “This is our special little place isn’t it?” I replied with “yeah and it always will be.” (We weren’t really talking much of marriage but knew were we where going to get married before the end of the year, it was may, and we had been up there a month earlier and got a crazy and jumped the gun and got pregnant which we were also planning out. I know I know too much information) I took her in my arms and we just stood there. We talked about all the trips we had made up there and how crazy it is that with all the people in the world we had found each other. With her looking off in the distance I pulled the box out of my pocket and said, “This really is a special place for us” she looked back at me and smiled and still not realizing that I had something in my had I told her, “Joslyn I’m really lucky to have found a girl like you and you have really made me happy, and I want to be with you for the rest of my life.” She just stood there looking at me smiling real nice and was like “aw how romantic.” I then got down on my knee like I was gona tie my shoe with my head bowed and then looked up as I rose the box up and said, “Joslyn will you marry me?” she then started just balling and said yes and pulled me up and we hugged and kissed and all that stuff and I put the ring on her hand. It was pretty cool. Some times I have a hard time being creative with stuff like that but I was pretty proud off myself at how that all unrolled.

Continued..... (ok ok so..it's a slow day at work!)
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#31]
The Continuation…

Of course all the words are not word for word cause we were all caught up in the moment and really don’t remember exactly what we said but that’s pretty close. Now we have a little girl and will be married for 2 years in June. We went up and visited the tree last about a month ago and it is really dry and probably won’t make it. This part of the mountains has really suffered in the wintertime and has not gotten the snow or rain that it used to. But regardless of the trees health were still happily married. Allot of people think that we were getting married really young, she was 17 and I was 19 but we wanted to be able to spend more time with our kids and start a family early. We thought it was crazy to see like 30 and 40 year old couples just having kids and thinking to ourselves how old they would be when there kids are in high school. And most of my friends asked me why now why not wait. I’d just tell em, “She’s done with school, I have a great job, why not get started!!! A couple of my closer friends thought I was crazy my senior year when they were doing yearbook questions one of which was, “Where do you see yourself in 10 Years?” and I replied with: Married with a few kids, nice home, nice cars, and a good job. Well 3 years later I’ve made a little progress, Married, 1 kid, Great job (still working with the same company), nice cars, and working on the nice house part. Were rent a nice house but were looking for our own and come the end of the year it’ll be time to start working on another kid. Anyway I went a little over board but there ya go.

Diesel
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We thought it was crazy to see like 30 and 40 year old couples just having kids and thinking to ourselves how old they would be when there kids are in high school.
View Quote

spoken like a true youngster.

and i'm not even that much older.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And, yeah, that's me in that pic!
View Quote

You have got to be the smallest person on the smallest horse I've ever seen [BD]

View Quote

for a reason.  i defy you to photoshop me!  [:D]
View Quote

[img]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/freeride21a/149_p1003.jpg[/img]
you know, you didnt have to mosaic your horses face...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys a really romantic.  Mine was more like "Well - seems like we've got the cart before the horse here.  Since neither of us believe in abortion...."  [:D]

On a more serious note, I had know Josie for 10 years, and had been around her alot 'cause she was my step-sister's best friend.  We used to talk quite a bit - but the relationship stayed completely plutonic because we were both dating other people.  After all that time, eventually we were both single & I finally asked her if she'd like to go out on a date with me.  Her response: [b]"What's your idea of a [u]date[/u] anyways????"[/b]
 IIRC, I asked her to marry me the first night we actually went out together.  It took less than a year before she said yes.  (I had to ask more than once.....a lot of times, actually!) We were married 363 days after that first date.  And everything has been wonderful - to squabbles, no fights, perfect children.....

(Lightning bolt strikes 15 feet from a3kid...)

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Discussed it, she picked out a ring (thought at the time we had been shopping together, found out later that she had been shopping with and without GFs 10 times as much)
I bought ring. Waited a few weeks, emailed her when she was on her way home from work (at her home account) and met her there. She checked email within an hour of getting home.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Over a Whopper at burger king. I was a paramedic student and she was my live in girlfriend. She said, "I'm pregnant" So I spit out a pickle and said " well I guess we're getting married."
It's now ten years and two kids later and we're still going strong. Best of all she has her OWN AR and even let's me play with it sometimes.
Gotta love a woman who loves guns as much as I do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#37]
MarineGrunt

Weren't you here at ar15.com just a few weeks ago looking for ideas about where a good place to find women might be?

Oh well, I guess you found one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]
A friend of mine was told by his fed-up girlfriend his wedding day was going to be xx/xx/xxxx, and that he better be there or his ass was grass.  It went pretty conventional after that.

Hardly bended knee.

He told us that after a few beers.  Kinda funny, as she is 5' tall, 100 lbs, and neat as a pin.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#39]
You guys had to ask?  Mine just told me we were getting married.z
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I had an ex that told me up front not to even ask unless the rock was 3/4 carats or more.  Needless to say we aren't together anymore but I still miss her but that's a whole other thread.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top