Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 6:09:10 AM EDT
How do airline miles work???

I beleive its like a mile per dollar charged or something like that.

But do you have to have like ten gazillion miles before you get a free plane ticket???

Is it all just a scam, or do you really get anything out of it????

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the airmiles orogram.  Rewards depend on the vendor.

For example...

I get 1 mile for every $20 spent at the liquor store.

I get 1 mile for ever $25 spent on groceries.

I get 3 miles for filling up with gas.

etc.

Then it is a matter of what zone you want to fly too.

For example for me to fly from Canada to Florida it costs about 1500 points.

Two years ago I took my wife , two kids and the inlaws to Florida all on airmiles.

Right now I have about 5000 point saved up again.

I want to wait till I get 7000 points so I can buy a JVC surround sound system FOR FREE!!

[url]www.airmiles.ca[/url]  is the Canadian site.

Edited to add....DO NOT TAKE MY INLAWS WITH YOU TO FLORIDA FOR 10 Days!!! Do NOT do it!!!

After 7 days I was going NUTS!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
American Airlines charges 25,000 air miles for a free coach ticket anywhere in the U.S.  One air mile = one dollar spent on my credit card.  There are also programs with hotels and car rentals that gets you miles for renting and staying overnite.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I varies, most airlines are a point or mile for each mile traveled. However, the minimum for most flights is 500 miles. They do offer bonuses, like double mile for some flights or during certain time periods.  Most credit cards, american express, will give you a mile for each dollar spent.

Most airlines require approximately 30,000 flight miles for a free flight in the US and 40 to 50,000 for flights to Europe. It can be hard to book a free ticket so you need to plans several weeks to months ahead to travel on the dates you want.

If you really want to build miles quickly, get a airline credit card. They offer double or triple miles for tickets purchased with their card.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top