Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2002 6:05:30 PM EDT
Reason I ask is because I was up there on 4/21 and the group of shooters next to us had an AD. An AD straight into somebodys thumb, thats right somebody shot their thumb. Just hoping that it was not anybody here, not that you would admit it now anyway[:)]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't me, but that is one of my favorite shootin spots. Too bad about that guys thumb, hope he's ok.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot there when I lived around that area.  

It was a fun place to shoot, but that area is so trashed.  Everyone brings all types of crap to shoot at, but nobody picks up after themselves.  Plus I was always worried about some moron accidentally shooting me, as there seemed to be a general lack of safety awareness among the other shooters...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
No such thing as an Acidental Discharge...negligent yes, accident no.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope they don't shut it down. If they do it will be because of the trash and not because some dude can't practice safe handling of weapons. There was at one point flyers hanging up to promote a Left Hand Canyon shooters association. But like everything else up there some jerk had to tear them down or shoot them up. Someone even started raking up the spent shells. All I wish is that the users of Left Hand "Pack out what they pack in" so we can keep our shootin hole. Me and my buddies always bring plastic sacks to police up our things. I load up my mags at home and throw away the cartons in my trash can. We already lost the first shootin spot (my favorite and the largest),to the BMX and ATV fellas. Lets try to keep the remaining spots open. If we loose this one what's next, a 1 1/2 hour drive North to the grass lands?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh my gosh, I was gonna go up there with my son today.  I wonder if Colorado's finest will be partolling the area?

Gentlemen we need to do something!  I was talking with the president of the Weld County club, and he was saying the Park Service is probably gonna make shooting in the grasslands illegal.  As a reason he cited all the irresponsible activity, e.g., a power pole that a bunch of assholes shot at so much it eventually snapped about waste high.  They replaced it and put some "armor" plate around the base of the pole.  So the assholes shot above the steel and snapped the pole higher up.

Meanwhile, just about everytime I drive by the North Range of the Boulder Rifle Club, I see no one there.  Those guys want to limit membership, but where's the reason?

Is it possible we could form some kind of formal association?  It sure is getting hard to find a good place to shoot around here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone give me directions to this range? I live in the Tech Center and I just built my first AR. Thanks!

Matt
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Agreed, all.  The trash gets out of control sometimes.

Matt, do you shoot at the Cherry Creek range?  It's down in the DTC area.  One hundred, and 25 yard ranges, and some shotgunning too.

Also, while you guys are here:
Does anyone know why Bighorn in Boulder went out of business?  I really miss that place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO,

I have heard that Bighorn has reopened under a new owner, but have not been there to check it out.

Matt,

If you drive through Boulder on 36, headed towards Lyons, about 5 miles north of Boulder the highway divides and a left-hand turn takes you into Left Hand Canyon.  There is a well-known resturaunt at the intersection, the Green Briar.  Head up Left Hand Canyon about 2 miles or so.  There is a pull off on the right.  You can walk in 25 yards or so and then there is a box canyon about 100 yards long where people shoot.  You can tell from all the ammo casings.  It is often pretty trashed out from people shooting fruit and vegetables, computer parts, and God knows what else.

I went up there today and did some shooting, and found the place in pretty good shape.  Only other people there was a couple shooting trap.  Then the guy surprised me by pulling out a full-auto Mac-10 and a full-auto Uzi.  He was showing his girlfriend how to shoot them.  Judging by the way she looked at him and kept grabbing him, I'd say a full-auto weapon is THE way to pick up and impress women. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Wasn't me either!
I sometimes find a lot of trash in the  Grasslands and usually pack the bigger stuff out with me.  

I really wish they would allow shooting at the dump again.  That is just about ideal.  No trash to haul out either!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Was down at Bighorn the other day.  Its FANCY now.  Owner did some renovations.  In regards to Lefthand, I personally would not shoot there.  That area has become a hotbutton issue with the local fruitcake population.  Cops will be hot to bust!  Anyway, the area is trashed, kinda brought it on ourselves.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meanwhile, just about everytime I drive by the North Range of the Boulder Rifle Club, I see no one there.  Those guys want to limit membership, but where's the reason?

View Quote

No kidding, when I lived around the area, the waiting list was something like 3 years.  just plain stupid to have a range and not admit new members.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was down at Bighorn the other day.  Its FANCY now.  Owner did some renovations. . .
View Quote

This is great news.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I was there a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely nicer (and cleaner), although I'm not sure that it is necessarily better. Jury's still out! :o)

Matt

Quoted:
Quoted:
Was down at Bighorn the other day.  Its FANCY now.  Owner did some renovations. . .
View Quote

This is great news.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep. I've been to Cherry Creek. It's actually about 5 minutes from my apartment. Sometimes I like to shoot where there's not so many rules, though...I also like to get around to different places for a change of scenery. Thanks, IMHO...

Matt

Quoted:
Matt, do you shoot at the Cherry Creek range?  It's down in the DTC area.  One hundred, and 25 yard ranges, and some shotgunning too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey Mouseboy, do you know the phone number of Bighorn? That's great that they are open the only other place to buy ammo in Boulder was Garts and they are a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
He shot his thumb????  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top