Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2001 3:57:52 AM EDT
I will be going to az in 3 weeks and will be taking my ar will want to do some shooting are there any open areas to do so.Will be going to Sedona.and will be traveling there from i-10 to the highway 60.Also are there any good gun stores i can check out on the way.

thanks. Robert
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
why is this new post on pg 4
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
btt

hours later....hey, guys, help the man out, will ya?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
btt again.  i'm trying.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
There are no good shops in Sedona (surprise surprise), there are none in Flag either.  Although you could always look up Derek from AZEx Arms.  Prescott and Prescott Valley have a couple of places.

I wouldn't shoot anywhere near Sedona, you are likely to hit a wayward tourist or upset the harmonics or something.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
chairborne ranger thanks for the info.I dont plan on shooting in sedona but somewhere between blyte and sedona.any suggestions.
      thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 2:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to be going through Prescott then you might want to stop off at J and G there. They advertize in Shotgun News etc. They have on hand a lot of rifles etc.  Now about shooting on your way up to Sedona. If you are going into Wickenburg by way of US 6o then between mile marker 99 and 100 on the north side of the road you'll see a gate. It's the only one during that one mile section. you'll be able to see a bunch of bee boxes by the road. Drive in until you get to the cattle tank you can shoot to the norteast up the mountain side. Word of warning. The calves are real curious and may get in the way. A car may have a bit of a problem unless it's a little higher than norm.  If you are turning off at Aguila and going through Congress then after you leave Aguila you'll pass by Robson's mining world and you'll know you're on the right track. Continue on for 8-10 miles. As you do you will notice that you are approaching a mountain pass. (Just before the pass you will cross some high voltage transmission lines). When you hit the top of the pass you'll be looking at a valley about 15 miles across. Slow down and look for a gate on your left (north side of the road). The road is passable by most any kind of car.  Go in about 1/2 mile and watching for cattle use the mountain on your left (west) as a back stop.  If you are coming through on a weekened I might be able to help you out. Post back here if I can be of further assistance.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I will be going 4-13-15 going for a wedding for my wifes friend will try to go shooting on fri morn or monday kinda have to do the wife thing too.you know sight seing but will have a couple of hours to shoot my ar on public land which cant be done here in ca.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
ar15robert,

here in AZ pretty much any public land (at least a mile from any building or main road) is OK to shoot - assuming you have a propoer backstop and pick up your targets and brass.  having said that, you owe it to yourself to see what a range in AZ is like.

From Sedona, go south towards Phoenix.  North of Phoenix is an excellent range called Ben Avery.  It is right off Highway 17 at the Carefree Highway exit.  Probably take 1.5 hours or so from Sedona to get there.  At the exit (when heading south from Sedona) go right.  First right you can take from the highway goes into the range.  On most weekends you will probably see/hear class III and numerous AR15s and such.  A far cry from Ca.

Safe traveling.

James
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Ben Avery is nice but I'm closer to Rio Salado so I usually go there. I used to live back east and had no place to shoot except sand dunes full of motorcycles....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top