PISTOL are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere
of fire arms everywhere restrain evil interference--they
deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
                       --George Washington

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Double feed..  these qoutes are taken from the Texas Militia files..  

I dont know about GW's...  

Here is another...

"The Constitution shall never be constructed . . . to
prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable
citizens from keeping their own arms."
                       --Samuel Adams

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
And then we have...
Patrick V. Murphy, former New York City Police Commissioner,

"We are at the point in time and terror where nothing short of a strong
 uniform policy of domestic disarmament will alleviate the danger which is
 crystal clear and perilously present.  Let us take the guns away from the
 people.  Exemptions should be limited to the military, the police, and
 those licensed for good and sufficient reasons.  And I would look forward
 to the day when it would not be necessary for the policeman to carry a
 sidearm." -- Patrick V. Murphy, former New York City Police Commissioner,
 and now a member of Handgun Control's National Committee, during testimony
 to the National Association of Citizens Crime Commissions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]

and 4 more...  

Yes, I'm for an outright ban." -- Pete Shields, Chairman emeritus,Handgun Control, Inc., during a 60 Minutes interview.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must bedisarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.A supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws bythe sword, because the whole body of people are armed andCONSTITUTE A FORCE SUPERIOR to any band of regular troopsthat can be, on any pretense raised in the United States."--Noah Webster

"While gun control proponents and other advocates of a kinder, gentlersociety incessantly decry our "armed society," in truth we do not livein an armed society. We live in a society in which violent criminalsand agents of the state habitually carry weapons, and in which manylaw-abiding citizens own firearms but do not go about armed.Department of Justice statistics indicate that 87 percent of allviolent crimes occur outside the home. Essentially, although tens ofmillions own firearms, we are an unarmed society."-- Jeffrey R. Snyder, "A Nation of Cowards"

"The advantage of being armed, which the Americanspossess over the people of all other countries . . . THEGOVERNMENTS ARE AFRAID TO TRUST THE PEOPLE WITH ARMS."--James Madison
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]

and how about these?

"Until we ban all of them, then we might as well ban none."--Sen. Howard Metzenbaum!

"Handguns should be outlawed.  Our organization will probably take thisstand in time but we are not anxious to rouse the opposition before we getthe other legislation passed." -- Elliot Corbett, Secretary, NationalCouncil For A Responsible Firearms Policy (interview appeared in theWashington Evening Star on September 19, 1969).

". . . if circumstances should at any time oblige thegovernment to form an army of any magnitude, that army cannever be formidable to the liberties of the people, whilethere is a large body of citizens . . . who stand ready TODEFEND THEIR RIGHTS and those of fellow citizens."--Alexander Hamilton

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the wholebody of YOUNG people always POSSESS arms, and be taughtalike especially when young, how to use them."--Richard Henry Lee
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killers hands.)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger"
circa 4 BC - 65 AD

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Not firearms related, but check my sig line.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Realist,

One of the reasons that Hitler's message worked so well was the principle of "Volkish Nationalism."  His message, while not new, was very welcome to a German nation after the Versailles Treaty sealed Germany's fate.

Kind of hard to explain, but think about it this way.  Since Arminius, the idea of the German state/fatherland was entrenched into the German psyche.  Bismarck was the master of this, and Hitler learned from his example.  Hitler played on the loyalty of the citizens of the nation, and used this "strength" (from the aspect of "coming together as one to defeat any enemy") to bend the people to his will.

I think everyone knows how this story turned out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would look it up, but I can't remember the progun site that debunks various myths about this issue.  Anybody know the one I am trying to think of?
When did Mr. Murphy puke that stupid statement up?  Hasn't he been paying attention to Britain - where people are disarmed and getting shot for their cell phones?
View Quote

i believe this is the one you were referring to.

[url]www.guntruths.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't remember which Japanese leader it was during WWII, but here is the quote as I remember it:

"If we were to invade America, we would find a rifleman behind every blade of grass." Could be "...a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Scott

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The "rifle behind every blade of grass" is another quote that no one seems to have a verifiable source for.

[url]www.guncite.com[/url] is another site that debunks quite a few gun-related quotes (both pro- and anti-). No point in using a false quote when there are so many truly excellent valid ones floating around...
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks Double Feed...  I guess I had better email the Texas Militia and inform...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top