Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 1:11:55 PM EDT
So I found one or two rifles that I would like to buy from online private party sellers. Now having never this before I would appreciate any advice on how to go about the transfer. Mainly I am concerned about making sure I don't get ripped off. What is typically the safest way to do the funds transfer?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Credit card or paypal , that way if something goes wrong you have some legal recourse like contesting the charge . If close enough a face to face exchange is my prefered method, but that may depend on your state(s) laws .
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I read on this site that if you use postal money orders and some one "rips you off" it is mail fraud.  That is worth looking into.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a fe things you can do;

If the person is a dealer you could post an inquiry on Tom Bower's board of inquiry. Even if its a private seller post the inquiry anyway. The people on that board will let you know if he's a sh*tbird or a good guy. Here's the web address:

http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/inquiry.cgi

Call the guy and see if he's made any other transactions and, if possible, get references. If anything, you can get a 'feel' for the guy just by talking to him.

As far as payment is concerned your best bet. if possible, is to use a credit card. You could always dispute the charges if things go the wayside. If that's not possible us a Postal Money Order. You won't necessarily get your money back but you could get him for mail fraud (a federal offense) if things don't work out.

One other thing you can do is get him to ship the rifle through his FFL dealer.  Get the FFL dealer's location and phone number and call them to confirm the seller has dropped off the rifle and it is as advertised. Then you could send the payment to the seller. Have him agree to this ahead of time, if he's legit he should be more than cooperative.

Hope this helps, Good Luck..
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem with money orders and using the postal system is that it takes them FOREVER to get in action . And if he gives you a false address or personal info you can just about kiss your money goodbye . Perhaps using licensed dealers is your best bet now that I've really thought about it .
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I read on this site that if you use postal money orders and some one "rips you off" it is mail fraud.  That is worth looking into.
View Quote

yeah, that was my post.
i would first recommend going through a licensed dealer, failing that, check up on the address,and if you have to use the mail, certified postal money order.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top