Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2002 8:23:29 PM EDT
Do you guys or girls shoot alone during the occasional plinking trip or do you go as a group. I'll have to admit I usually shoot by myself. The others I know who hunt and are into guns don't do recreational shooting. I've gotten kind of bored because its just not fun spending several hours punching holes by yourself. Occasionally the wife will go shoot the glock, but thats rare. I haven't fired my AR in months. I was just wondering what everyone here does. Bill3508 Macon, GA
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:30:40 PM EDT
I usually go to the range in the mornings or early afternoons on weekdays due to my work schedule. The range is almost always empty. Occasionally there is a retiree there sighting in the old deer rifle or black powder rifle. So yes, I usually go by myself. I kinda' like it that way. But the rare group shoots are a load of fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:32:56 PM EDT
Spend lots of time shooting alone, it is good for the soul. I love to spend a day at the ranch shooting with the guys, but I sure do love to take my time, and do my thing, alone. I always was like that though. I know some guys that won't fish alone, I would much rather be alone. A day in the woods, alone, is a very peaceful, and somewhat religious thing for me, after all, we did not create the forrest, God did. Sorry I drifted, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:32:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:39:14 PM EDT
I never shoot alone! I usually have 20 or 30 little friends just waiting to be next. Our conversations get pointed sometimes but they are always on target and they always stick together on any subject. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:40:00 PM EDT
I love fishing alone, and being in the woods by myself, but target shooting I like to have someone else there. Then again too many people make me nervous. I usually shoot at the Bibb county Sheriffs training facility, so I get to meet some nice and other not so nice officers. I don't know I just get bored. Maybe I need to get the boat out and go fishing more. Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:49:14 PM EDT
My last birthday I was almost completely alone. Just myself and the rangemaster. It was great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:49:17 PM EDT
I've taken several family members out shooting with me, as well as others, but the majority of the time, I usually go alone. Bear in mind, in Arizona, any hill or berm can be a range, and like USP40C, my 'range trips' are spiritual time for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:49:57 PM EDT
I almost always shoot alone. Probably 1 in 6 outings are by myself, which I actually enjoy. It's a great time to do some thinking or just enjoy being out doors. I drive about an hour south of Phoenix so I can go shooting somewhere other than a range. The only time shooting by myself has backfired is when I walked back to my truck and the battery was dead. It was about a mile or two, too the nearest paved road and six more miles of hiking on a well traveled hiway until someone picked me up. I think about 60 cars past me that afternoon. The worst part was having to leave 4K in guns in my unattended truck for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:52:26 PM EDT
And you know when I shoot alone I prefer to be by myself!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:54:12 PM EDT
I always try to get a group together when friends return home from college on vacation. I rarely shoot alone - it's more interesting when there is a little bit of friendly competition to push you, or some ladies to show off around. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:55:28 PM EDT
Thanks for the grammar correction Grimshaw. I noticed it but I was too tired to change it. Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:01:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:04:02 PM EDT
I shoot alone. Someone I know pointed my AR15 at me as a joke. This was someone I trusted with all my life. I knew it was unloaded but it was not a good feeling. Since then I prefer not to have anyone around me when I'm with my guns. I live in a big city and only time when I can feel little bit of peace is when I'm at range or fishing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:06:24 PM EDT
mostly i have one other, and sometimes just me
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:09:20 PM EDT
BILL3508, Just box up them AR's, send them to me and I'll take them for a weekly test drive with mine. Will return to you when they have new friends on your end. [:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:13:35 PM EDT
I shoot alone most of the time. None of my friends own guns. I've taken them shooting occasionally but they just aren't into shooting someone else's guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:17:57 PM EDT
I shoot alone most of the time. Every one of my buddies have jobs so they can't just jump up and hit the range. Gets kind of boring every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:28:09 PM EDT
I will not shoot alone before noon. If I did, I'd be lableled an armsaholic. I've never bought into the shoot alone and you're (TINKER,) bound to be addicted thing... I'll just take it "one day at a time."
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:45:49 PM EDT
I frequently go to the indoor range alone to shoot handguns. It has been many months now since they have asked me to go shooting at the rifle range and it is just too far away and isolated to go by myself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:59:09 PM EDT
Almost always alone. I usually go weekdays. The kids are in school and the wife is at work. I'll be glad when I get back on dayshift and we can all go together again. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Or, at least, I like to think they did.[;)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:04:58 PM EDT
Yeah, my whole family done give up on me, and it makes me feel oh so bad. The only one who will go shoot with me is my dear old Granddad. And we shoot alone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:19:48 PM EDT
get bored? you know what that means don't you? means you NEED to go buy a new gun! sometimes i bring my girlfriend, but she gets intimidated and doesn't want to shoot around other people. so most of the time i go by myself with on average 2 or 3 different guns. the rangemaster is nice and i recognize the other regulars so it doesn't bother me. i too love to fish alone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:31:16 PM EDT
From time to time
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:47:00 PM EDT
At the range I shoot with friends. For bank-robberies I go it alone. I didn't mean to say that. I just shoot at the range. That's all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:50:47 PM EDT
I'd say 70/30 group and alone. It is just more fun to go with friends. When I go to shoot squirrels I usually go by myself, and every once in a while I will go to the range by myself, especially if there is a new purchase I just gotsta try out. Most of the time it is just more fun to go with friends. Thanks to the 2000 assault weapon ban three of my friends got into black rifles, and we usually get together about every month or so for some blasting. Now we have the fun of critizizing each other's shooting skills and setting up games to compete in. I love the fact that the anti's laws cause three people I know who never owned a gun, and probably never would have, to go out a purchase "evil" weapons. Add to that that they all eventually purchased handguns and shotguns as well, the anti's have really done well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:51:44 PM EDT
Usually with co-workers and when alone, at a porcelain target. Cleaning usually involves an old gym sock. [;D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:54:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By operatorerror: But the rare group shoots are a load of fun.
View Quote
Oh, you just don't know! You're telling me?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:23:36 AM EDT
Both ways, I do love to get on my cycle, take a few guns, and go to the pit.....or a few of the guys will meet here or the wife and I, doesn't matter shooting is shooting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:06:16 AM EDT
Almost always alone. It's just good therapy to focus my concentration on what [b]I'm[/b] doing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:54:21 AM EDT
Although I like to see others enjoying the Range also,I try to go at odd times so's no ones muzzle is crossing my path......
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:54:47 AM EDT
...Just me and my good Bushy Master, that's all I ever need, when I shoot alone...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:02:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:14:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bill3508: Do you guys or girls shoot alone during the occasional plinking trip or do you go as a group. Bill3508 Macon, GA
View Quote
bill, i was about to suggest that we meet at the range in 1/2 an hour, but i'm in north georgia. i generally go with 1 or 2 friends, but now and then i'm either alone or there are 6 or 8 of us. like with women, a little variety keeps it fresh. (oops, did i say that?)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:14:17 AM EDT
On Fridays my old man and I go out and shoot. Other than that I go by myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:18:10 AM EDT
Hey Bill3508, I do enjoy shooting by myself, my son is 15 and truly enjoys trying to show up his old dad with the black rifle. I have a 25 yard pistol and a 100 yard rifle range on my hunting property, so just about anytime/day, can be a trip to the range, especially after work. (stress reducing time!) Heck, I'm only twenty minutes from Macon, is there a good range near?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:20:22 AM EDT
As long as I can hear the voices, I am never alone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:37:16 AM EDT
Most of the time I shoot alone, but there are time that I took a friend or friends...they had a blast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:51:55 AM EDT
I shoot alone but almost always have my dog Hunter with me. He likes the range but prefers our favorite trail in the woods.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2002 9:43:55 AM EDT by cgwahl]
Only have two friends...one probably would go with me a lot but I rarely see him now. The other I did talk into going with me backed out when he found out how much it would run him for a couple hours of shooting. So always shoot alone... Besides, I kind of prefer to be alone when I'm shooting anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:38:20 AM EDT
I shoot alone, ya with nobody else! And when I shoot alone, I prefer to be by myself!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:21:41 AM EDT
The other night I lay sleeping, and I woke from a terrible dream, so I called on my trusty Beretta, and my new .22 carbine, and we shot alone. With nobody else. WL
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:32:10 AM EDT
I_Run_With_Scissors, I usually shoot at the Bibb county sheriffs training facility. They've got a 200yd rifle range and a separate 10 station outdoor pistol range. Its usually empty during the week and weekends except during hunting season. Its the only one I know of around me as I've been in Macon less than a year. I think there are some gun clubs around but I can't find out much about them. Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:01:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GWF: As long as I can hear the voices, I am never alone.
View Quote
You hear those too? I think it is the guns talking. Just do what they say, you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:08:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SWS: Almost always alone. It's just good therapy to focus my concentration on what [b]I'm[/b] doing.
View Quote
EXACTLY! It's hard as hell to concentrate when everybody else just empties their magazines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:47:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Blaze-Of-Glory:
Originally Posted By GWF: As long as I can hear the voices, I am never alone.
View Quote
You hear those too? I think it is the guns talking. Just do what they say, you'll be alright.
View Quote
Bwahahaha, thats scary man. Don't let anti-gunners and cops see that. They'll think you're a psycho, and not fit to own guns. ;)
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:49:30 AM EDT
90% of the time that I go out the range, I am the only one there.... Unless the bear decides to go for a stroll across the range here is a pic of my range.. 106 acres, 75 members. [url]http://home.epix.net/~bmeier/club2.jpg[/url] The farthest grey target, slightly left of center, is 300 yards. Our first highpower shoot is May-12. We shoot 200 yard reduced. If anyone is interested, drop me an email.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:58:04 PM EDT
When I was in NJ, It was me and the gang, all 5 of us would drive out to the range on Long Island... shoot 'em up for a couple of hours. Afterwards, we would go to the Chinese Buffet and try to eat our monies worth. Good day of "male-bonding". Now that I am in Texas, I shoot alone only because my co-workers are not shooters, they dig that I go, but they will not join me. So, I go to the Collin Country Range and talk with the rang master and shoot alone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:15:32 PM EDT
Just went by myself yesterday...and it's an hour drive each way so I just pop in a tape and take a drive.You can meet new friends at the range and my theory is "If you can't get your friends to shoot guns then get people who shoot guns to be your friends".
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:58:38 PM EDT
Most of my shooting is shotgun sports so I shoot with my buddies most of the time. When I shoot pistol / rifle I usually go with with 1 other friend. I don't usually like larger groups.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:31:06 PM EDT
For shooting clays I love to go with a group but when it comes to shooting the AR's I'm usually by myself but I dont mind company as long as its another Ar15.com member.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top