Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 12:15:28 PM EDT
These guys are stupid. I had the day off today so I went around to some local pawn shops to see if I could find anything good. In one of the sotres I went into he had about 200 rds of .223 ammo S&B he wanted [b]$10.00 for a box of 20[/b] are these guys smoking crack....LOL
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Super Pawn in Las Vegas (if I remember correctly) is excellent for gun deals. I picked up a Hi-Power in .40 from them on auctionarms and even with the shipping and transfer fees it was WAY less than I would have paid anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Last month i saw a preban CAR-15 (i confirmed the S/N)for 800 dollars... looked real nice... only problem was i had 500 dollars and i was leaving the next day for North Carolina.... God i was pissed off. I should have put it on credit...
Mike
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right that pawn shops miss the mark on pricing a good bit of the time (in both directions).  On ammo, however, I think many of them count on an ignorant buyer who doesn't know the market.  The $15 Turk 8mm bandoliers (that cost $4) and the $20 boxes of cheap import 9mm are pretty commmon in pawn shops.  They often deal with a very different kind of buyer than us.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
They get $10 for a box of S+B ammo and they are the stupid ones.

Yes and Bill Gates gets $300 for a piece of plastic that a laser light etched some bit patterns on but no one calls him stupid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in Phoenix, there are good and bad. I've bagged some screaming deals on guns and stereo equipment at a few, and others just seem to be a front for laundering money. A few I've been into want as much-if not more-for used rifles than what they cost new, and won't budge on the price. The good pawn shops might have high prices, but will wheel and deal with you if you try. I was in one pawn shop and they had a 1965 Winchester mod. 70, .308 w/Leupold (sp?) 3X-9X scope, and it had been converted to accept a Remington clip. VERY nice, tight as a prom queen's thighs, riflings in great shape. They wanted $700.00 for it, the guy came down to $500.00. I went back two days later (payday) and it was gone.[pissed]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Here in SoCal the Russian Mafia own almost all pawn shops so if you buy from them you are helping launder drug money. Very obvious scam. I often wonder why no LEO checks into it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they price high and are counting on people chewing them down on the price I didn't know the pawn shops in so cal are mafia run?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My understanding is that the California legislature is a money laundering scam concocted by organized crime.  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have to have paper on the guns you buy at pawnshops? In other wards no private sales?
What are the laws in the various states,on this matter?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you have to have paper on the guns you buy at pawnshops? In other wards no private sales?
What are the laws in the various states,on this matter?
View Quote

All pawn shops that sell a firearm must use a FFL & follow all local & BATF laws. No private sales allowed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#13]
OK pawn shops like to give you about 1/4 the value of an item and then re-sell it for near full retail.

I tried pawning a rifle (Rem 700 VSS w/Leupold scope) at an ezpawn, needed cash quick. The people there said they couldn't go any higher than a hundred dollars. I laughed at them...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top