Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2002 12:06:13 PM EDT
Looks like Peacock lost control of his temper and paid the price.  If someone cornered me like that I'm guessing that at the very least they would be looking down the barrel of a gun.

An example of when a gun saves (innocent)lives ?
--------------------------

By Associated Press

April 18, 2002, 3:31 PM EDT

HOUSTON -- A man was shot and killed by another motorist after he cut the driver off, approached his sport utility vehicle and punched out the driver's side window with his fist, police said.

Marcus Peacock, 38, died at Ben Taub General Hospital after the altercation Wednesday evening at a busy intersection in southwest Houston.

David Russo, 32, shot Peacock in the chest several times after Peacock deliberately cut off Russo with his Mercedes, blocked the SUV's path, then beat so hard on the window that it broke, police said.

Russo, who had a Texas concealed handgun license, has not been charged. He told police he feared for his life. Authorities said they did not know what provoked Peacock.

Police said Thursday the case would be referred to a grand jury.
Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd think that someone in Texas would know better. [:\]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like the man got what I'd have given him.... I drive a tiny car.. if someone cut me off, cornered me and bashed my window in, there ain't much I can do.  I'd be at a severe disadvantage, given my ass is only about 14" off the ground...

I'm waiting for the app from the DPS, then I'm going to take my CHL class soon

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Natural selection in action!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
every time I read something like this I always say to my self...." I really need to get my CHL".. but I never do.. its not even becuase I cant find a place ,,, I pass at least 3 places on my way to work every day that offer classes...

maybe we need a N. TX gettogether and enroll as a group for people like me that will not do it untill the day after it was needed... just an idea...

Cluster...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If those are the facts, there's no way he'll be indicted.  The first case of a concealed handgun being used in self-defense in Texas involved a similar situation.  However, in that case, the shooter only fired one round.  But if someone breaks my car window with his fist (ever tried it?) he's going to get blasted with whatever I have.  However, having moved to WA state, it would be pepper spray (or TRUE spray and pray! [>(] ).  I guess I need to get in gear and get my carry permit.  However, I will add, the drivers here are FAR more polite than the Dallas drivers!  

Edited to add:  the first shooting by a concealed carry permit holder.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
He should have tried to reason with the man! Empathize with the root causes of his anger!

[size=6]HUGS, NOT SLUGS![/size=6]

[:K]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The interesting thing to watch will be if the grand jury will decide that several shots were needed.  IIRC, the book says to shoot only to stop the aggression.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The interesting thing to watch will be if the grand jury will decide that several shots were needed.  IIRC, the book says to shoot only to stop the aggression.
View Quote

Interesting indeed..
Im sure..< read hope > the "shoot only to stop the aggression" means only shot the threat ..< reapeatly if nessesary>  not stop threat then [b] go after evrey one else nin the car[/b]

with the officer involed shoting Ive heard about where the empty the entire 15-17 round mag.. I really dont think that will be a real issue.. it might be brought up but hopefully not taken seriosly..

for this discussion the sigline is simply a joke...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping that the grand jury finds Mr Rosso justified in his actions. I'm just concerned about the subject of overkill being brought up.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm hoping that the grand jury finds Mr Rosso justified in his actions. I'm just concerned about the subject of overkill being brought up.  
View Quote

I hope it won't be an issue... the defense should be agruing that a guy that can break a car window without severely F&*ing up his hand could easily break my face which is located behind said shattered window...

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So the standard for a police officer is not the same for civilians?  VERY INTERESTING.  

PO's are supposed to kill, while it sounds like a civilian is supposed to aim for the shin or toe?  In what sounds like a very intense and quick exchange, I don't think he had the presence of mind to only fire once.  It sounds like a panic situation (further shoring up his "fear of his life").

He should be cleared.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if he get's no-billed by the grand jury, he can still expect a wrongful death suit from the grieving, money grubbing family and their bottom feeding lawyer.

***Edited to add: I wish him as much luck in the courtroom as he had in the shooting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even if he get's no-billed by the grand jury, he can still expect a wrongful death suit from the grieving, money grubbing family and their bottom feeding lawyer.
View Quote

Watch the bottom feeding comments!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

***Edited to add: I wish him as much luck in the courtroom as he had in the shooting.
View Quote

Crap like that would piss me off.... he was acting within the limits of the law... the dead guy was in the commission of a crime.  He put himself in harm's way, and paid the price.  I sympathize with his family... he shouldn't have blown his top and tried to assault another motorist.  The shooter should not be held to ANY liability if the shooting is found by a grand jury to be justifiable.  Period.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch the bottom feeding comments!  
View Quote

Calling a Lorcin a lousy gun does not impugn the character of all guns, anymore than calling a lawyer who would take such a case a bottom feeder impugns all lawyers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#18]
It sounds as though Russo had absolutly no where to go.  He was also presented with a small target area.  I assume, from the article, that he was still seated in his car, which would restrict his movement and options.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
It's frikkin HARD to break a window (unless it's rolled down a bit which makes it quite a bit easier).  If someone cuts me off and threatens me I WILL use EVERY means of defense available...

This guy must've been either very pissed off or on drugs to break the window with his FIST.  Sorry for all the caps, but this hits a chord close to home since whe have no concealed carry here in misery.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I bet ROAD RAGE drops in Texas!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What caliber was he using?  If he was using say...a 32 or something like that it could have taken more than one round.  Heck, it could have taken 10+ rounds.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
ChuckT why in the hell are you living here without a permit ![shock][spank][stick]

Edited to add appropriate punishment !!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Does Texas allow people who are sued to recover their finical debt fro mthe other party ig they are found not guilty? (I can't remember what it's called)
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
If the shooter can be sued by the scumbag's family for being overzealous in halting the crime, shouldn't the victim be allowed to counter sue the family for allowing their whacko relative to terrorize other motorists?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#25]
More detailed story here:

[url]http://www.click2houston.com/hou/news/stories/news-140609920020418-120453.html[/url]

Peacock's 17 yr. old daughter was in his car w/ him.  Unless he felt her life was at risk b/c of something Russo did (and we don't have the story about what if anything Russo might have done), this make's Peacock's actions even more reprehensible.  This is a very nice part of town where this happened.  Also, Peacock was a broker & driving a Benz.  Neither of the guys seems to have been a "thug."   Anyway, the number if rounds fired shouldn't even be an argument.  Who the hell would fire once in that situation, then wait & assess the results before firing again?  C'mon...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Check out the poll results at the bottom of the link I posted.  Interesting...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#27]
This is similar to the Hale (CCW)/Tavai shooting that took place in Texas a few years ago which the anti-gun weenies were proudly saying it would be the end of the CCW law in that state. The grand jury refused to indict Hale and the weenies were strangely silent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top