Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/18/2002 6:59:56 AM EDT
On Monday, April 22, I will be on my way to the sand flea capital of the world; Marine Corps Recruit Depot: Parris Island. Right now the main feeling I have is anticipation, it isn't negative or positive. I have no doubts that I will make it. I know it will be extremely difficult at times; but I have the will to overcome. Marine board members, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:03:11 AM EDT
Not a Marine, but God's speed to you, and thanks for being willing to go in harm's way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:13:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2002 7:14:27 AM EDT by kpel308]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:31:03 AM EDT
kpel, I bought and read the "Guidebook for Marines" about 3 months ago. I have memorized my general orders, code of conduct, and most of the rank structure. I was very prepared mentally before I even set foot in a recruiting office. I will graduate a PFC and will be receiving a $3000 bonus on my first check after boot camp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:39:12 AM EDT
Encourage your friends and neighbors to write to you while you're there. Being left out at mail call sucks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2002 7:52:56 AM EDT by Waverunner]
Best of luck and Thank You...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:55:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:58:15 AM EDT
I didn't mean I only wanted encouragement, suggestions, comments, etc. from Marines only. Just that their suggestions can come in very handy. I appreciate all the encouragement and I'll miss reading and posting here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:04:19 AM EDT
Don't ever be last. Don't run your mouth. Don't look around. Learn the general orders.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:07:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Renamed: Encourage your friends and neighbors to write to you while you're there. Being left out at mail call sucks.
View Quote
Absolutely, but make sure they understand that anyone who sends you anything other than white paper in plain white envelopes can look forward to an ass kicking when you're home on boot leave. And let them know that you're not going to have much time to write long, rambling letters detailing every minute of your experience. Time will be at a premium. Let your PMIs {Primary Marksmanship Instructors) teach you the USMC-approved rifle skills. I'm sure you're good, but you're going to have nothing but trouble if you're seen as having an attitude about it. Accept now the fact that you're going to be sweaty, tired and hungry for most of the next three months. Don't let it get you down. You'll have muscles in your doo-doo when you march across the parade deck on graduation day. The change is forever, and I wish you luck. Welcome to the Big Green Gun Club.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:20:00 AM EDT
Jarhead, I shoot pretty accurately with an AR-15, the hard part will be forgetting everything I know and letting the PMI's reteach me. I know a lot about the equipment we'll be issued also, but I won't get cocky about it. I'm gonna try to be the guy who isn't there. I want to just go through, do everything quickly and efficiently and not draw attention to myself. Cool, post No. 556.
Top Top