Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 8:18:26 PM EDT
Watch me go off topic here...[:)]

I need to dump my old desktop Duron machine for a powerful laptop-something in the 1.4-1.8 Ghz range(Athlon or P4), with some HD space, and good video-and soon.

It's gonna run me some $$ to upgrade, but I've planned for that bit. I've waited too long to get rid of this one, knowing that prices of powerful portables would drop-and now that I can't stand it anymore, I've realized that I have no idea where to look for laptops. The very fact that the first words into my mind are "Dell or Gateway" makes me pretty much sure that the price will be higher on these, since they have built my brand awareness up[rolleyes].

I don't need to spend money on a name, or pay for tech support-I fix my computers, always have, so I don't need to waste money on "help".  

I've heard(here) that Winbook was a good choice-componants in the computer, rather than prime time ad campaigns- and I just want to get the most power for my buck. The prices seem fair, but the number of manufacturers is a bit overwhelming-thus, your experiences, reccomendations, and companies to absolutely avoid would be most appreciated.

If not actual suggestions for a line of note books to check out, then  place when I could comaprison shop different models in the same performance range would also be good.

Thanks in advance, guys...

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Dell.  

But having recently "bought a laptop to replace my desktop" I will say that this isn't likely to happen.  IMHO I would rather use my Pentium III Desktop than my faster laptop with the docking station, etc.  I could have bought two desktops for what I paid for the laptop and I still have the desktop and only use the laptop when I travel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Three of my friends have had very good luck with the new Toshiba Satellite laptops.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, just went down this road.

I personally found that IBM Thinkpad A series to be very good, and what I would want to replace my desktop. But the price of them shot down my project of desktop replacement.

I did pick up a Sony for awhile, that did very well except for graphics. But the keyboard ended up hurting my wrists to much. If I wanted an full size keyboard, I would have had to buy a USB keyboard, I choose to take the laptop back (my hands still hurt when use a laptop now).

So I am still on my 5 year old frankenstein home built.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Might take a look and see if you can find something here:

[url]http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/misc/segmenter_dfo.htm[/url]

It's Dell's refurb site and I think you can sometimes get ahold of a decent deal.  I believe you still get pretty good warranty.  And while I appreciate you work on your own computers, it is near impossible with laptops I believe (ie - you can't just change your motherboard or screen when it dies) and that warranty comes in very handy
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a Dell 8200 P4-1.6 for $2200 ($2400 after I bought the memory seperate.  Get it today in fact (yippee!).

Thing is a lot of rebates and one or two freebies was included.  $75 rebate on 40 gig harddrive.  The $100 rebate on the combo DVD/CD-RW is still around I think.  Free ground shipping.  And they threw in $50 even though I shouldn't have gotten it.  Maybe something else.  Just wish the I didn't have to pay the tax.  Sucks that they cover the whole US...$140 could have been put to better use, like a lot of bullets or investing in a new gun.  Anyhow, I digress...

If/when you buy the laptop.  Look at how much it is with the amount of memory you want then put it with the lowest memory option and go to [url=http://www.crucial.com]Crucial Memory[/url] and see how much cheaper it'll be with the same amount of memory.  Only difference will be is you're under Crucials memory warranty as opposed to Dell's (and in my case was around $50 to $100 cheaper.  Most from what I've seen and been told make it fairly easy to put it in yourself...of course, some laptop manufacturers might make it so you have to take a bunch of stuff apart.  However, make sure it doesn't break the warranty.  The Dell lady told me it doesn't or won't, they just won't cover the memory if it stops working right.  Which of course is understandable.

Unless you're a real speed freak dont get the 1.7 P4.  The charts I've seen for it show that it is only slightly faster than a 1.6.  So no need to pay $100 or so dollars more just so you can say I have a 1.7 Gigahertz processor.

I have heard not to many good things concerning the Athlon.  Its power management isn't as great as the P4-M.  However if you don't care then you can [i]probably[/i] get a cheaper laptop.  I say probably because there are very few manufacturers that offer the AMD and of those that do you can't get as much good stuff with them.  Most just say AMD is a great desktop processor but not great for the notebooks/laptops.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got two HP's and am entirely happy with both of them.  I guess weight would be a major factor if you are going to be traveling with it.  Length of battery life is also something to look at.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't really opine as to which brand is better, although I currently use a Sony and like it.

I wanted to say that you should check Staples out.  They have a lot of closeouts on 6-9 month old models which result in significant less cash outflow.  I picked up a nice Compaq desktop there last year for a great price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#8]
The company I work for buys their laptops from Dell. I currently have a Cpx650.

Actually I know many people with this machine and it is a complete pile of crap. There are probably 100 Dell laptops in my department. Someone always has one in for major repair. We have one "redundant laptop" for use in such case and it is always tied up.

Out of the 7 machines that were ordered on the same requisition as mine (about 13 months ago), 2 have needed new motherboards, 2 have needed new harddrives and on 2 the cooling fan failed. Not a very good track record.  And to top it off, over 20 batteries have failed and Dell won't warrenty them. I have two failed battery packs sitting on my desk now as I type this.

IMO: Dell laptops suck.

I will suggest a toshiba.  All the lab techs here swear by Toshiba.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#9]
T series IBM. i have a T20 and it is very good (of course i work for them) I can use my friends and family discount for you I think, let me know the model number, etc if you are intrested) A30 for 1899 (loaded,30 gb, dvd, 128mb), T23 for 2799 (very loaded ,r/w cdrom, 60 gb, 256mb , sxga), both come w/extra battery if ordered by 4/22
-rogerb
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Sony:  They look good but in many cases you're just paying for the name.
Dell:  Heard nothing but good from them, a few bad cases but thats to be expected with every company
Toshiba:  Also heard good.
Gateway:  Heard nothing
HP:  The few people I know or heard that got one have never said anything bad about them
Compaq:  Many say their bad, a few say their good.
IBM:  Looking at them to me seems like you pay a lot for less.  Overpriced in my opinion but rarely heard anything bad about them so anything goes about them
Winbook:  Haven't heard to many bad stories about them, but don't know many people that have them

Also, keep in mind an important factor is customer service.  Heard good about Dell, Toshiba and IBM.  Don't know about the others...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#11]
[url=http://www.apple.com]Apple[/url] [url=http://www.apple.com/powerbook]PowerBook G4[/url] 667MHz

[:D]

If you really need PC-only software, pick up a copy of Virtual PC
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Forgot to mention you said "I don't need to spend money on a name, or pay for tech support-I fix my computers, always have, so I don't need to waste money on "help". ". I have built lots of computers (laptops to mainframes) have you ever worked on a laptop ?? , it can be a nightmare, they are not made to be taken apart, most parts are soldered on. I do not advise anyone to take the lid off with out at least a service manual, schematics, and expertise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention you said "I don't need to spend money on a name, or pay for tech support-I fix my computers, always have, so I don't need to waste money on "help". ". I have built lots of computers (laptops to mainframes) have you ever worked on a laptop ?? , it can be a nightmare, they are not made to be taken apart, most parts are soldered on. I do not advise anyone to take the lid off with out at least a service manual, schematics, and expertise.
View Quote

Yeppers...Though I will probably draw the line at removing things that have to be soldered back on-depends if the original warranty is up. I build computers"for fun and almost no profit at work", and though I don't work on laptops by choice, I feel confident with most repairs tasks-plus, my IBM Thinkpad 550(?) always seemed to be begging me to lift it's lid and tinker around...

Don't get me wrong, a warranty is a good thing, I'm not gonna put up with parts crapping out while it's under warranty, but at the same time, I'm not spending hundreds of $$'s up front to cover it for 5 years-I'll fix it myself after a year should anything go wrong-or pay for repairs, if and when it should need it, if the repairs are beyond me(Know thy limits).

And at no point am I going to pay for a tech support phoneline handholder to tell me how to turn my computer on, added into the price of the laptop-that's more what I'm trying to avoid.

Thnaks for all the helpful replies(except for you, lib76-bad hippie! No biscuit!), I'm pricing stuff right now and the buy-the-least-RAM up front trick is great. rogerb, the offer to use your discount code was generous to the max-thanks. Loooks like either toshiba, IBM, or that sweet Winbook J4-must go price stuff.

God, I love Ar15.com[:D] Thanks again.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
One vote here for a Compaq- 2 years/3 months of daily hard use and zero malfs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[url=http://www.apple.com]Apple[/url] [url=http://www.apple.com/powerbook]PowerBook G4[/url] 667MHz

If you really need PC-only software, pick up a copy of Virtual PC
View Quote

Ditto.......get a Mac ! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Jug, lib actually has a point.
A Mac may cost a little more, but they are faster than the P4's running at alomst twice the clock cycles.
They are lighter than compareable full function laptops, and with Virtual PC, you can use any PC program out there.
Pluse they have the titanium case. Too cool!!
They also have 15.1 inch screen and are only 1 inch thicl when closed.
Very portable, has great battery life, and above all else, dosn't support Bill Gates(The  Anti-Christ)!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice to see some other Mac users on the board, thought I was the only one !!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had an IBM thinkpad for about six months now, absolutely the most reliable computer I've ever had, 0 problems, and I run the heck out of them at work, programming audio/video and control systems.
My desktop is a dell- I'm not too happy with it. Lots of failures.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Three of my friends have had very good luck with the new Toshiba Satellite laptops.
View Quote

Toshiba knowingly sold US Sub detection technology to the Russians in the Mid 80's, for profit.

They won't ever get a penny of my money.

Vote is to Compaq, though I would go down the road of a solid desk top and mid priced lap top. This should be doable using the same backs as you'll spend on a top of the line lap top.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top