Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 7:49:28 PM EDT
even before i read the oven article, the heat here had me thinking. is it possible for the heat that builds up in a car on a hot day to cook off a round in a loaded gun?

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
In a very old reprint of a 1950's NRA article, designed to help firefighters deal with ammunition fires, the NRA determined that "cook-off" temperatures were in the 400 degree range (if I remember correctly). Since a car interior can quickly get up to 130-140 in the summer, but probably won't go much higher, I doubt it is a concern. However, those temperatures are probably not good for long-term ammo storage and may decrease reliability after awhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top