Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/17/2002 6:41:10 PM EDT
Did you all just see that on Combat Missions? Bangin on the back of the stock? Not slamming that Mag in, poppin the bottom hard till it clicks? Pushing on the Forward assist? c-rock
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:55:51 PM EDT
I just logged on to check if anyone else had seen it. This guys a seal and I'm setting here yelling at the TV telling him how to properly operate his weapon. I even pulled the AR out of the safe to demonstrate to my fiance how the forward assist works. Then the guy sits there and says how it wasn't his fault. I thought seals had at least some understanding of the weapons they used. I feel less safe every time I watch this show if this is the best our country has.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:01:40 PM EDT
I am not sure it was that simple. I think those funky mags they were using weren't seating properly and the staff was trying to blame it on him. Hope he sues them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:05:26 PM EDT
I don't know, I thought about the mag thing but the other guys were using those mags and he was using that mag in practice and it was working fine. It looked more like he got frustrated and didn't have a very good understaning on how to properly load and clear the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:11:22 PM EDT
The so called "SWAT" guy mentioned that the weapon was faulty in the end. The magwell was crimped on one side. How could he possibly blame the SEAL guy of breaking the weapon during the exercise when the first time he stuck the P.O.S. mag, it was already very hard to get it in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:14:28 PM EDT
shame on some of you guys. they were using the craptastic Simunitions system, NOT real ammunition or blanks. of course Byers knows his immediate action drills.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:19:49 PM EDT
geez, guys. just because one of three has some problems you automatically accuse him of screwing it up. i can't believe a SEAL doesn't know how to seat a magazine properly in the first place. and in the second, i don't see him failing time and again. IF the mag was faulty, shame on the show for it. IF the gun started malfunctioning because he did inadvertantly fail to seat the mag, shame on the show. i know my knowledge about firearms in general and ARs in particular is way behind, but i find it hard to believe that one failure to seat is going to produce the amount of damage described by mustache-guy so as to continually produce failure after failure. and if that is the case, why the hell are we giving these firearms to our fighting men?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:30:04 PM EDT
The weapons guy said the mag-well was pinched. That was probably why the mag didn't catch. Sounds like he might have had a defective weapon. I just watched my tape, he was banging on the stock because the bolt would not retract. That also explains why he hit the buttstock on the ground, SOP. From the Bushmaster manual: [b]Problem[/b] Bolt Carrier "Hung up" [b]Check For[/b] Round between Bolt and Charging Handle and/or double feed. [b]What to do[/b] Remove Magazine Push in on the bottom of the Bolt Latch While pulling down on Charging Handle, bang the Rifle Butt on the ground. Bolt should lock to the rear. While Bolt is to the rear, round should fall trough the mag well. Av.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:33:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By riddler: The so called "SWAT" guy mentioned that the weapon was faulty in the end. The magwell was crimped on one side. How could he possibly blame the SEAL guy of breaking the weapon during the exercise when the first time he stuck the P.O.S. mag, it was already very hard to get it in.
View Quote
No kidding, that guy was pissing me off. He was admonishing Byers like he was some sort of child. "You broke my gun. Look this can't be fixed, blah blah." I really wanted to see Byers win, as he seemed like the 'best' man. After all, he kicked ass in the training mission beating the other two by a large margin. I don't know, those Simunitions mags seemed funny. I can't imagine that he wouldn't know how to clear a malfunction, so I suspect the rifle may have been damaged before the run. Afterall, banging the stock against the dirt wouldn't damage the mag well. I would be more likely to blame Byers if they had been issued the same rifle at the start of the series, that way they would be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their own weapon. On another note, that final 'mission' was horrible! Did they borrow that scene from the movie "Face-Off"??? Hell, it was just two guy running away from eachother, trying to put a gun to the other's facemask. Reminded me of playing 'war' as a child, except we used better tactics. They should have picked a final mission that required more skill and precision...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:35:05 PM EDT
I can't believe a SEAL doesn't know how to seat a magazine properly in the first place. and in the second, i don't see him failing time and again.
View Quote
I don't believe it either. And then if the guy doesn't feel bad enough about losing 250,000, they give him a hard time about the rifle being broken. I would've wrapped that POS rifle around a rock.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:37:46 PM EDT
Guys, here is their email ad, please let them know that their so called expert (the SWAT guy) did not earn his keep for that day. info@combatmissions.com
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:53:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher: I would be more likely to blame Byers if they had been issued the same rifle at the start of the series, that way they would be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their own weapon.
View Quote
The weapons guy WAS bitching that the rifle was dirty. It sounded like he was blaming Byers for not maintaining his weapon. They should have used LIVE ammo. In USGI mags. These guys are professionals for christ sake. The simunition stuff sucks. Av.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:04:45 AM EDT
I didn't see the show. Were they using miles gear to simulate the hits, or were they actually using simunitions? If they were firing blanks to activate the miles unit, it is the recoil from firing that activates the miles "shooting unit". When we were using miles as aggressors, we would sometimes bang on the butt of the rifle to "fire" the miles unit. Sometimes because the blanks jammed a lot, but usually, because that we we could "shoot" without blasting nasty blanks in a plugged barrel. Saved lots of time on cleaning later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:19:59 AM EDT
Yeah, they need to work on a few details if they pick this up for a second season. M4-AK
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:21:54 AM EDT
My only question(I think they did give him a defective weapon on purpose), is after all of the trouble on the first target, why not just pull the ammo out, screw the mag, and fire single shot? It'd be slower, but they weren't doing much actual shooting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:33:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:04:52 AM EDT
NOtice he was the only one using a clear mag. And why did they not give them a back up mag or allow them to use a pistol. You know this thing about a transition drill thingy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:04:55 AM EDT
All I can say is, we are a bunch of arm chair commandos. [BD]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:06:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By riddler: The so called "SWAT" guy mentioned that the weapon was faulty in the end. The magwell was crimped on one side. How could he possibly blame the SEAL guy of breaking the weapon during the exercise when the first time he stuck the P.O.S. mag, it was already very hard to get it in.
View Quote
How the hell can you bent a magwell? That looks like you would have to bang it across a rock or something.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:24:05 AM EDT
I wasn't buying the SWAT guy's answer either. It was probably some BS that the producers made him cook up so they can cover their asses. I think Byers would have been in the finals had he had a functioning rifle. I'm not sure he would have won, because that stupid paintball exercise seemed to have no tactics to it other than unload your mag at the other guy and then run around with your back to him until you can reload again. I thought the final was a little lame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:27:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By c-rock:
View Quote
How the hell can you bent a magwell? That looks like you would have to bang it across a rock or something.
View Quote
Isn't that how you clear a jam? I usually lay my rifle on the ground and run it over with a truck. It usually clears up any problems, but the stubborn ones require a jackhammer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:12:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By c-rock:
View Quote
View Quote
There is going to be a rerun Sunday night. Look, observe and listen carefully on the following points: - Notice that on the first target stage, Byers inserted the mag and tapped it in. Even after doing so, there was a misfire. Then he reinserted the mag again and then tapped it harder but it still had an FTF. - On the last target stage, Byers did a standard procedure of retracting a stuck carrier/bolt assembly by holding the charging handle and at the same time banging that buttstock. (I do not know how you unstuck a stuck bolt but I too do it this way) - When the SWAT officer checked his weapons afterwards, he said that the magwell has a "crimp"/"pinch". [He said it, not me!!] My personal take on this, I think that the older SWAT guy have a motivation to let Kain and Fletcher battle it out since they are both SWATs. Think about it....IMHO
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:55:20 AM EDT
geez, the conspiracy theorists don't stop at government levels, do they? now the game was fixed? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:13:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Arc_Angel: I wasn't buying the SWAT guy's answer either. It was probably some BS that the producers made him cook up so they can cover their asses.
View Quote
I agree with you. I don't think it was rigged, but I believe the malfunction was due to the gun, not Byers, so they wanted him to leave blaming himself, that way, no lawsuit or rematch. If this had happened on Survivor or any other 'reality' show, you can bet the scumbags would be crying to their lawyers right now...
Top Top