Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/17/2002 6:38:41 AM EDT
Subject: science experiment Hi: I am a science teacher at an elementary school in Los Angeles, California. A few of my sixth grade students are working on a project for our 2002 Science Fair to be held May 8-9, 2002. We are trying to see where, and how fast e-mail can travel in a period of six weeks. We are keeping track of how many e-mails we get back, and what cities, states, and countries they are coming from. We are hoping that you will be willing to help us with our project! There are only 2 simple steps that will help us to track this email: 1. Please send an e-mail to the following address: [url]science2002fair@yahoo.com.[/url] In the subject of the e-mail, please include your city, state, and country. You do not need to include your name. Please respond only one time. 2. Please forward this e-mail to everyone on your mailing list. We will be keeping track of the number of responses, as well as the locations. Therefore, send them even to people in the same town. In our science project, we are trying to demonstrate how fast and how far information can travel on the Internet in a six week period. If you receive this e-mail after May 1, 2002, please disregard it, since the project will be over. Thank you VERY much for your help! what should i do?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:48:30 AM EDT
Sounds like classic spam to me, simply a new twist. I could be wrong, but I won't send or forward anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:53:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC: Please forward this e-mail to everyone on your mailing list.
View Quote
Here's your clue. Whenever you see above line in an e-mail (or fax, or letter, ot whatever) it's spam. Delete the stuff and ignore it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:57:53 AM EDT
They got this from a legit one that was done about a year ago. The other was most likely legit, because it came from a k12.ca.us address, and reverse dns confirmed that, they also had a webpage up on the same domain... this one is using a yahoo drop box, I would guess they are trying to make a spam list
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:06:06 AM EDT
They don't name the school, teacher or school district. Why would a school use an anonymous email account like Yahoo? [u]Answer[/u]: SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:33:58 AM EDT
It's probably someone collecting email addresses for spaming purposes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:34:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2002 7:34:57 AM EDT by ChrisS]
I love spam! [:D] [url]http://www.detritus.org/sounds/real/spam-song.ram[/url]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:51:00 AM EDT
If the original email does not contain a full name, snail mail address, and telephone number, then it's probably some spammer gathering buds for May. I've got to the point with email, if I don't know who it's from, immediately, I bin it. F%&# 'em- if they want to contact me, they can drop a dime first. "That Spam-I-Am That Spam-I-Am I do not like that Spam-I-Am." (Yes, I do have pre-school kids, don't I [:D])
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:32:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:03:16 AM EDT
That's no school teacher, it's Ol' Red wearing a dress.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:45:58 AM EDT
how about reverse offensive. sign up that email address for all of the newsletters, catalog offers, and mailing lists that we can think of. if they want SPAM, let's give it to them. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:40:49 AM EDT
great idea!!!!!!!
Top Top