Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2010 6:58:40 AM EDT
I am looking to add some variety to our current setup. I am thinking of getting a plate rack, dueling tree and a few more "poppers". Does anybody have any suggestions for some heavy-duty steel/ reactive targets that will see some hard use? These will be primarily used for training with semiautomatic pistols, shotguns and AR-15/M-16 type rifles. I think we currently have Speedwell and Mike Gibson Mfg. targets.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking to add some variety to our current setup. I am thinking of getting a plate rack, dueling tree and a few more "poppers". Does anybody have any suggestions for some heavy-duty steel/ reactive targets that will see some hard use? These will be primarily used for training with semiautomatic pistols, shotguns and AR-15/M-16 type rifles. I think we currently have Speedwell and Mike Gibson Mfg. targets.

May i suggest Larue? here

J
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I just love shooting steel plates with handgun/M4 etc

I had a nice set up in my yard. but they were just Home Made plates.
Every so often I would shoot threw the arm holding the plate

I dont know what they are called but Larry V./ Tactical Arms  has them in his show.
Pretty much looks like a IPSIC card board target  but made of steel. Has a center cut out for aiming/shooting.
Would be great for any combat type shooting
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You already mentioned MGM, so I guess this post is just to pad the count.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
No worries...I am open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Posted in a few similar threads lately.

If you have access to scrap bins and the ability to weld you can accomplish a lot.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not heard of metaltargets.com...will have to check them out.  WOW...those plate racks are pricier than I expected!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
They were putting a big boiler in a building around here.  The fabricator cut discs out of the vessel for pipe fittings.  End result was two dozen, 10" discs.  Welded a strip of steel on the edge and painted 'em orange.  The are great practice targets from 200 to 500 meters and probably would work at 600 yards, since we seem to be able to hit them 90% at 500 Meters.

So, see if one of the steel fabricators near you has some cut-outs that might make targets.

p.s. They're not armor plate, and they do get cratered.  But, they'll last a long time and any splatter is WAY down range so not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You already mentioned MGM, so I guess this post is just to pad the count.

yeah they are MGM

I wish I had a few before the move

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Google Law Enforcement Targets.  They have some awesome targets at pretty good prices.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]
MGM

The local range I shoot 3 gun at uses them and they take some major abuse and all they need is a coat of paint and they are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Posted in a few similar threads lately.

If you have access to scrap bins and the ability to weld you can accomplish a lot.

<a href="http://img191.imageshack.us/i/ljgc.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5200/ljgc.jpg</a>

unless that is AR 450+ it will not last long with 556, and since its welded, those welds will break in short order. if you hit it with a larger bullet, it will take lees time.

For plinking on the range only weekends most welds will go a year, for higher volume shooting, they might get 2 weekends.  

rifle targets should only have mechanical "joints" that are easily replaced, and steel that a min 1/2" AR500. Those will last for years. I would also recommend they are able to "flip" so that when you bend them out of shape after a few thousand hits, you can shoot them back flat.

YMMV  
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Google artzen targets. There in Rockford Illinois. Try to find a place close to you so you can save on shipping.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Me and a buddy have bought steel from these guys at the DFW gun show (Market Hall).  They are based out of OKC.

http://www.rangemasterrowdy.com/

We've hit the torso target with multiple .308s and 300 win mag at the same time from 300 yards.  no issues.  Can highly recommend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top