User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
tag on 2
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
my wife carries a bersa .380 and she a damn good shot. I dont think if she has pump some rounds into somebody that there going to really care what it is. Its how you handle your weapon and shot placement.

Also to keep my man card i carry a .45 by the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an honest question, but why is it that damn near every single pocket pistol(ruger LCP sized) is chambered for .380? Why not just chamber it for 9mm and be done with it?

Anyone know?

The 9 mm requires a locked breech (at least with a pistol of reasonable weight). The .380 doesn't.

This, and the fact to make a pocket pistol out of 9 mm will require such a short barrel that the round may not even penetrate due to such low velocity. In other words, it just won't work Jim.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the posts above, as they most all make sense.

Another reason for the .380 popularity is female shooters.
Its a round that appeals to many of them for the size, and easy
recoil compared to a larger pistol caliber.

Lots of new shooters out there, male and female, and the firearms
market is expanding their customers with attention to women shooters
who are concerned with self defense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've carried 'em all from .22 to .44 mag from time-to-time. My new Diamondback .380 is ideal for what I need in a CCW.

I always wonder about the mind set of the ARFCOMER who won't venture out of mom's basement without his G17 and two reloads. If your area is so dangerous you need all that maybe you should move.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live in a hot climate where we do not wear coats or heavy clothes.  I choose to carry a small, lightweight .380 because I drop it in my pants pocket every morning and carry it everywhere.  I do not even think about it unless I am going into the jail (can't carry inside the security perimeter).  If I tried to carry a bigger or heavier pistol (9mm or .45), it would be in my desk or under the truck seat more than I would carry it.

For all you "mouse gun" killjoys out there, the only one who will know the difference in caliber if I pump a clip of hollow-points into a perp's nugget will be the coroner who removes them.  I would rather have a "mouse gun" on my person than a .45 under the seat in the truck.

A few years ago, I had spent a few weeks putting an addition on the garage, and just about every day a mouse would come running right through the middle of where I was working.  I started throwing the hammer at it, and I got kinda close a few times, but I never hit it.  When I had the addition about finished, I was standing there admiring my work when I heard an odd noise.  I turned toward the noise, and there was that dang mouse, sitting in the middle of my garage floor having a snack while completely ignoring me.  My garage has a gravel floor, there's a nice hill on the other side of the wall, the mouse seemed to be so smug in it's belief that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a hammer, and I was still carrying my Kel-tec P3AT, so...

I don't care how many people want to call it a "mouse gun", a .380 is definitely overkill for mice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd kill someone I liked for a Walther PPK in 9mm.

Not quite the same, but you could try an FEG PA63 with Hornady JHP's and a recoil spring 2 pounds heavier than stock.  A former coworker went that route, after I told him how much of an improvement I had with my Makarov with the heavier recoil spring.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in a hot climate where we do not wear coats or heavy clothes.  I choose to carry a small, lightweight .380 because I drop it in my pants pocket every morning and carry it everywhere.  I do not even think about it unless I am going into the jail (can't carry inside the security perimeter).  If I tried to carry a bigger or heavier pistol (9mm or .45), it would be in my desk or under the truck seat more than I would carry it.

For all you "mouse gun" killjoys out there, the only one who will know the difference in caliber if I pump a clip of hollow-points into a perp's nugget will be the coroner who removes them.  I would rather have a "mouse gun" on my person than a .45 under the seat in the truck.

A few years ago, I had spent a few weeks putting an addition on the garage, and just about every day a mouse would come running right through the middle of where I was working.  I started throwing the hammer at it, and I got kinda close a few times, but I never hit it.  When I had the addition about finished, I was standing there admiring my work when I heard an odd noise.  I turned toward the noise, and there was that dang mouse, sitting in the middle of my garage floor having a snack while completely ignoring me.  My garage has a gravel floor, there's a nice hill on the other side of the wall, the mouse seemed to be so smug in it's belief that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a hammer, and I was still carrying my Kel-tec P3AT, so...

I don't care how many people want to call it a "mouse gun", a .380 is definitely overkill for mice.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not seeing a problem realy.
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=21853

Meh.  Probably weighs more that a full-size Glock.

Colt Pocket Nine

Barrel: 2.75 in.
Weight: 17 oz.
Length: 5.5 in. overall

Kahr Arms PM9

Barrel: 3 in.
Weight: 15.9 oz. including mag.
Length: 5.3 in. overall

Glock 19 (stock) w/16 rounds of 124gn - 30.8 oz.
Kimber Custom II w/8 rounds of 230gn - 44.7 oz.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not seeing a problem realy.
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=21853

Meh.  Probably weighs more that a full-size Glock.

Colt Pocket Nine

Barrel: 2.75 in.
Weight: 17 oz.
Length: 5.5 in. overall

Kahr Arms PM9

Barrel: 3 in.
Weight: 15.9 oz. including mag.
Length: 5.3 in. overall

Glock 19 (stock) w/16 rounds of 124gn - 30.8 oz.
Kimber Custom II w/8 rounds of 230gn - 44.7 oz.

Best I can remember, my Kel-tec P3AT with 2 loaded mags and one in the chamber weighed 15 ounces with the pocket holster.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#13]
i propose a duel to the death with one participant with a 9mm and the other with a .380
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

All of these modern super-compact .380s such as the P3AT and LCP are locked breach.

The older, blowback operated .380s are larger, close to the size of the smaller 9x19mm pistols.

The use of a locked breach design, despite the low pressure/impulse of the .380 cartridge, is what allows these micro-.380s to be so small. You could not make a 9x19 pistol, locked breach or not, this small because the small cross-sectional area of the chamber and slide and small locking surfaces combined with small mass of the components could not handle 9x19 pressure/impulse.

That's a materials  and design problem that may be solvable.  Eventually, my state will get CCW and it's my hope by then there's a nice choice of 9 MM very small pistols to choose from. I want to keep the number of calibers I need to have to a minimum.

Boberg Arms in Minnesota is working on one. (Though, "almost ready" for about two years now...)

Full size image link above.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to see some of you .45 leg humpers take a .380 like a man and say it doesn't work...... A +p loading from a .380 at point blank range is going to do more than make you want to sit down and think about it for a while....

.380 doesn't benefit from +P loadings (with respect to penetration or expansion).  And, there is no SAMMI spec for +P in .380.  So long as you understand the limitations of your weapon of choice, you will be well-served in employing it.  I could confidently and effectively defend myself with a .22LR.

There is no +p or +p+ for .380 because MOST of the .380s made in the last 100 years are blow-back and the higher pressures would blow out the case head in a blow-back gun.

-begs the question:  why couldn't .380 in a locked-breach gun like the Ruger of Kel Tec handle MUCH hotter .380 ammo?  The 9mm can be safely loaded to .357 Sig levels in most modern guns.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LCR .38+p, pocket holster, it feels like I'm wearing nothing at all..Nothing at all...Nothing at all.

Stupid, sexy Flanders!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another reason for the .380 popularity is female shooters.
Its a round that appeals to many of them for the size, and easy
recoil compared to a larger pistol caliber.

I haven't fired every .380 out there, but I have fired the P-3AT and the LCP.  Neither were pleasant to shoot.  In fact, it sucked shooting them.  The small backstrap focuses all the recall into a small area of your hand, enhancing the shooter's perception of recoil.  They feel like catching a baseball without a glove.  

The idea that a small gun, and/or a small cartridge is good for a small woman, is total gunshop BS.

Pocket guns aren't range guns, they aren't plinkers, they aren't target pistols.  They are a compromise for people who cannot or will not carry something bigger due to clothing concerns.  Sadly, women often refuse to make some changes to their wardrobes in order to properly conceal a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I love my LCP.
It fits in my pocket when I can't carry a big pistol.
I'd of course want a proper pistol if I was diving to caves after Bin Ladin, but it sure beats being unarmed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top