Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2010 3:45:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 4:44:21 PM EDT by Z1500]
It's been well over two years since the house next door to me was abandoned. It has not been foreclosed on, so the bank will not maintain it. If I don't stay on top of that yard as well as mine, it will be covered in 3ft. tall weeds. I'm not going to look at that crap and I'm not going to have people over to my house see that crap next door. So every weekend I pull weeds, mow grass, and spray for bugs. I have unfortunately found that if I don't stay on top of their insect problem, it becomes my problem. We had a black widow outbreak a while back where I found and killed about 30 of them in one night all around that house. I have a 3+7yr old little girls that I can't have being bit by black widows.

Very nice neighborhood. I'm sure that house was over $500k (4000+sqft) and they added a nice Pebbletec pool etc. I'm sure if they would just foreclose it would sell fast, the neighborhood only has a couple empty houses and things sell well here. Thinking about taking it over and just calling the house mine. Maybe run an extension cord and hose over and rent that bitch out:)
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:48:41 PM EDT
I mow an empty rental every so often. Hit the damned water main access cap, thought I bent the drive shaft for a moment there. The owner is alive and well, just a lazy prick.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:50:37 PM EDT
I do the same.

Neighbor and wife got a divorce. Both moved out, house is now bank-owned for about 2 years.

Fucking doucebag neighbor still has the balls to play in the neighborhood Fantasy Football league.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 3:54:51 PM EDT by NoStockBikes]
Keep mowing it and eminent domain it in another year or two. (wrong term, but whatever that bizarre legal clause was that the Colorado judge used to take over the empty lot next to his house)

ETA: Adverse possession, that's it...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:51:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Z1500:
It's been well over two years than the house next door to me was abandoned. It has not been foreclosed on, so the bank will not maintain it. If I don't stay on top of that yard as well as mine, it will be covered in 3ft. tall weeds. I'm not going to look at that crap and I'm not going to have people over to my house see that crap next door. So every weekend I pull weeds, mow grass, and spray for bugs. I have unfortunately found that if I don't stay on top of their insect problem, it becomes my problem. We had a black widow outbreak a while back where I found and killed about 30 of them in one night all around that house. I have a 3+7yr old little girls that I can't have being bit by black widows.

Very nice neighborhood. I'm sure that house was over $500k (4000+sqft) and they added a nice Pebbletec pool etc. I'm sure if they would just foreclose it would sell fast, the neighborhood only has a couple empty houses and things sell well here. Thinking about taking it over and just calling the house mine. Maybe run an extension cord and hose over and rent that bitch out:)

isn't there some way you can legally claim it's yours after a certain amount of time, adverse possesion or something like that? IANAL, but recall something from RE classes 20 years ago
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:51:42 PM EDT
Yep.

Same here.

Guy walked away from a new home after one year.

However, once in foreclosure, recent builds sell fast.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:52:04 PM EDT
I have done that in the past. The house looked better empty than it did with the tenants until just a few years ago when someone decent purchased it. He's an old fart so it will probably revert when he croaks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:52:20 PM EDT
Doesn't that mean you get to keep it after a while?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:52:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fourays2:
It's been well over two years than the house next door to me was abandoned. It has not been foreclosed on, so the bank will not maintain it. If I don't stay on top of that yard as well as mine, it will be covered in 3ft. tall weeds. I'm not going to look at that crap and I'm not going to have people over to my house see that crap next door. So every weekend I pull weeds, mow grass, and spray for bugs. I have unfortunately found that if I don't stay on top of their insect problem, it becomes my problem. We had a black widow outbreak a while back where I found and killed about 30 of them in one night all around that house. I have a 3+7yr old little girls that I can't have being bit by black widows.

isn't there some way you can legally claim it's yours after a certain amount of time, adverse possesion or something like that? IANAL, but recall something from RE classes 20 years ago

That's it, adverse possession.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:53:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Keep mowing it and eminent domain it in another year or two. (wrong term, but whatever that bizarre legal clause was that the Colorado judge used to take over the empty lot next to his house)

adverse posession
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 3:55:54 PM EDT by operatorerror]
Are you maintaining the pool too? I don't mean pumping and cleaning but maybe dropping some chlorine in there once in a while? Or at least throw some mosquito fish in there to control the skeeters.

eta But yeah, I've maintained vacant houses in the past. Luckily there currently are no vacancies in my neighborhood...yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:53:41 PM EDT
It's been well over two years than the house next door to me was abandoned. It has not been foreclosed on

The bank hasn't foreclosed in over 2 years? What are they waiting for?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:53:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
I mow an empty rental every so often. Hit the damned water main access cap, thought I bent the drive shaft for a moment there. The owner is alive and well, just a lazy prick.

he may be lazy but he's SMART, he's figured out how to get his neighbor to mow his lawn!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:54:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 3:56:41 PM EDT by SultanOfBrunei]
Originally Posted By Skibane:
It's been well over two years than the house next door to me was abandoned. It has not been foreclosed on

They are keeping the house on their books at the value they think think it should be, instead of realizing the losses if they were to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:56:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:58:31 PM EDT
There's a 5 year old house 3 houses down from me. Been empty for 2 years.

Some shingles blew off the roof in March. I called the realtor who's sign was in front of it. He thanked me, then just took his sign away.

It's a real shame- a house only 5 years old, and water has been getting in for months now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:59:02 PM EDT
Everyone is getting screwed.

Adverse possesion requires (in MD anyway) 20 years of adverse possesion - like squatter's rights.

Heap long time my friends.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:00:05 PM EDT
The old lady that lived next door moved out this summer. We have been seeing all kinds of people we don't want living next door checking out the house.

I really hope she doesn't decide to rent it out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:01:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:01:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:

Adverse possesion requires (in MD anyway) 20 years of adverse possesion - like squatter's rights.

Looks like 10 years in Arizona. Take lots of pictures, OP.

Answer: The elements for establishing a claim for adverse possession are that the possession of the subject land must be: (1) actual and visible, (2) for ten years, (3) commenced and continued under a claim of right inconsistent with and hostile to the claim of another, and (4) to the exclusion of all others, including the titled property owner. Berryhill v. Moore, 180 Ariz. 77, 82, 881 P.2d 1182, 1187 (App. 1994). In order to calculate the ten years, there can be "tacking” of the time periods of prior owners of the land. Therefore, if the block fence has been there for more than ten years, the new neighbor who has only owned his home for two years probably has a claim for adverse possession.

Phoenix attorney Christopher A. Combs is a partner with the firm of Combs Law Group, P.C. Reprinted with permission. Copyright 2005, all rights reserved.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:05:50 PM EDT

haha, exactly what I was thinking but beat by a few.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:15:44 PM EDT
That's gotta suck big time. I wouldn't want to do it, but I can see where you almost seem forced to, just to enjoy your own home.

Stories like this one are why I will try to buy at least a few acres when I finally buy. At least then you aren't as forced to stare right at the problem. I feel for ya man.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:23:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:

Looks like 10 years in Arizona. Take lots of pictures, OP.

Answer: The elements for establishing a claim for adverse possession are that the possession of the subject land must be: (1) actual and visible, (2) for ten years, (3) commenced and continued under a claim of right inconsistent with and hostile to the claim of another, and (4) to the exclusion of all others, including the titled property owner. Berryhill v. Moore, 180 Ariz. 77, 82, 881 P.2d 1182, 1187 (App. 1994). In order to calculate the ten years, there can be "tacking” of the time periods of prior owners of the land. Therefore, if the block fence has been there for more than ten years, the new neighbor who has only owned his home for two years probably has a claim for adverse possession.

Phoenix attorney Christopher A. Combs is a partner with the firm of Combs Law Group, P.C. Reprinted with permission. Copyright 2005, all rights reserved.

The term I've always seen used with adverse possession is that it must be open and notorious. Mowing the lawn may not count but moving someone in there will.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:24:08 PM EDT
I did on and off for a year just because I wanted the thing to sell. Now I have at least one neighbor who listens when they ask for advice. Grass is cut, fertilized and occasionally watered. I no longer have to walk the perimeter and spray every week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:28:28 PM EDT
My neighbors are a few miles away .
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:30:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By operatorerror:
Are you maintaining the pool too? I don't mean pumping and cleaning but maybe dropping some chlorine in there once in a while? Or at least throw some mosquito fish in there to control the skeeters.

eta But yeah, I've maintained vacant houses in the past. Luckily there currently are no vacancies in my neighborhood...yet.

Ohhh yes. I have to toss in a 3" chlorine tab every month or two to keep the mosquitos away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:31:24 PM EDT
I was going to start mowing the lawn across the street from me, owners divorced and moved out, but I spoke to my other neighbor (HOA board member) and he said if I did and broke something, I would be responsible. So, it sat and looked like hell. I did pay a lawn crew to mow my next door neighbors lawn when the former tenants were moving out. They hadn't mowed in a few months and I couldn't take it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:34:46 PM EDT
The houses on both sides of me are vacant and other than making sure squatters haven't taken up residence and that the pools aren't green I'm not doing a damn thing. I don't even have the free time to properly maintain my own house and property, I'll be damned if I'm going to take care of the bank's as well. If they want to give them to me I'll rent them out and pay to have them maintained, other than that, fuck them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:44:59 PM EDT

I maintain the home across the street from me.

Some firefighter and his new wife moved into it a couple of years ago and then broke up about six months later.

I mow the front yard and spray for weeks a couple of times a year just so I don't have to look at an overgrown mess.

The fenced-in backyard?....jungle.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:51:20 PM EDT
Next door neighbor got foreclosed 14 months ago, but the realtor is doing a pretty good job getting a mowing crew to come by at least once a month.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:16:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Some firefighter and his new wife moved into it a couple of years ago and then broke up about six months later.

I mow the front yard and spray for weeks a couple of times a year just so I don't have to look at an overgrown mess.

That backyard is out of control. That's way more work than I can keep up with. I maintain a good barrier of Spectracide to keep whatever insects are back there, the hell out of my yard. I throw the chlorine tabs into the pool from my yard, cause I don't want to go back there.

I've talked to the HOA about it a few times over the years. The guy is clearly not paying his dues so they have a huge bill racked up against the property. In normal times they could force a foreclosure to recoup the back dues. But since the house is upside down in value, they would get nothing at foreclosure. So the HOA would have to spend about $2500 in legal fee's to force a foreclosure and then get nothing out of it, so they are 100% no help at all. I really wonder how many years this can drag out.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:22:11 PM EDT
then they would have to maintain it, right now they got it made.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:22:40 PM EDT
haha... thats what I was going to say.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:27:29 PM EDT
I did for a year, just because I didn't want the weeds spreading. Then one day it was hot outside and I was feeling lazy so I Ortho ground cleared the entire lot........ The house sold a week later....... Oops

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:30:33 PM EDT
It's been well over two years since the house next door to me was abandoned. It has not been foreclosed on, so the bank will not maintain it. If I don't stay on top of that yard as well as mine, it will be covered in 3ft. tall weeds. I'm not going to look at that crap and I'm not going to have people over to my house see that crap next door. So every weekend I pull weeds, mow grass, and spray for bugs. I have unfortunately found that if I don't stay on top of their insect problem, it becomes my problem. We had a black widow outbreak a while back where I found and killed about 30 of them in one night all around that house. I have a 3+7yr old little girls that I can't have being bit by black widows.

When George W. Bush and Paulson made it crystal clear that banks would not suffer for their mistakes, that urgency evaporated, and Obama is continuing Bush's policies. It may be years unless you complain to the county often enough that they look to put a lein on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:31:05 PM EDT
nope my HOA uses its evil evil powers to mow the laws of the 2 houses in the neighborhood that have been foreclosed

those bastards fuck HOA's

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:34:57 PM EDT
I did for maybe 4 years while my in-laws lives ended - they were our next door neighbors.

After probate, my older son and his girlfriend realized what a great deal the house was at its present value - which is $120K less than it cost to buy and build the house 8 years ago. So they bought it, and made my wife and I very happy to have them as neighbors.

Sometimes the investment you make comes back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:35:11 PM EDT
Put a lien on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:41:11 PM EDT
I started to but decided not to. The people that lived in the house to my left, walked away, left the windows and doors open, left the dogs inside for a few weeks, dog shit everywhere, carpets are ruined form dog shit, piss and rain that has come in through the open windows. There is trash piled on the south side of the house and on the porch, and it smells.

Yard is now about knee deep, I have just enough time to take care of my place, so I have no idea who if anyone will take care of that place, damn shame to, it was a decent place, nice shop building as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:41:59 PM EDT
Just a fair warning - doing nice things for others generally turns out bad for you. I've learned my lesson - someday I'll tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:43:50 PM EDT
Call the town

I had that when I lived in the south

The town came out weekly and mowed

Then put a lean on the property for the expense
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:26:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

That backyard is out of control. That's way more work than I can keep up with. I maintain a good barrier of Spectracide to keep whatever insects are back there, the hell out of my yard. I throw the chlorine tabs into the pool from my yard, cause I don't want to go back there.

I've talked to the HOA about it a few times over the years. The guy is clearly not paying his dues so they have a huge bill racked up against the property. In normal times they could force a foreclosure to recoup the back dues. But since the house is upside down in value, they would get nothing at foreclosure. So the HOA would have to spend about $2500 in legal fee's to force a foreclosure and then get nothing out of it, so they are 100% no help at all. I really wonder how many years this can drag out.

Have you seen rats back there? Of course you have! Call the county –– you now have vermin and they will have a speedy chat with the HOA and the bank.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:54:52 PM EDT

Since yer in a $500K hood and probably give a shit:

yer welcome
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:33:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trwoprod:
Have you seen rats back there? Of course you have! Call the county –– you now have vermin and they will have a speedy chat with the HOA and the bank.

That's an interesting angle.

Do you smell ammonia or ether? Could be that squatters are running a meth lab over there...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:41:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mktopside:
I did for a year, just because I didn't want the weeds spreading. Then one day it was hot outside and I was feeling lazy so I Ortho ground cleared the entire lot........ The house sold a week later....... Oops

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:43:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trwoprod:

That's an interesting angle.

Do you smell ammonia or ether? Could be that squatters are running a meth lab over there...

Could be –– but that ammonia smell could also be rat poop. Talk about getting television news out there –– to look for the rats, of course. That the county is not dealing with.

It would help to figure out who owns the house, especially if it is (or should be) a local bank with a branch that the news crew can show up at.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:00:22 PM EDT
my neighbors moved out about a year ago.
they bought a home 3X the value of the one they previously occupied.
they rented it to a nice family, but they left as the owners refused to do any repairs. hell even the dish washer was broken.
I am now spraying 10-15' into their lawn for weeds, to keep them from spreading into my yard.
fucking assholes.
however i am slowly encroaching farther into their lawn, and when the next owners move in, those lines will be established.
in 5-20 years that land will be mine...
well worth mowing it for that time frame.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:06:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By par0thead151:
my neighbors moved out about a year ago.
they bought a home 3X the value of the one they previously occupied.
they rented it to a nice family, but they left as the owners refused to do any repairs. hell even the dish washer was broken.
I am now spraying 10-15' into their lawn for weeds, to keep them from spreading into my yard.
fucking assholes.
however i am slowly encroaching farther into their lawn, and when the next owners move in, those lines will be established.
in 5-20 years that land will be mine...
well worth mowing it for that time frame.

Fence their yard in with yours.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:09:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:13:25 PM EDT
Do you have an HOA? Some HOA's have started suing banks over failure to upkeep property. I would put some pressure on the bank so you don't have to do all that work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top