Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2010 8:22:55 AM EDT
I would like to start reloading .40 because I am shooting it a lot more than I shoot .45

the thing I am concerned about is my 40's are mostly all glocks. I am pretty sure its not a good idea to shoot unjacketed reloads thru a glock. (Although I know people do it)

So would I save any money reloading if i had to buy jacketed bullets?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:24:36 AM EDT
wait what?

your using cast right now? and want to go to jacked?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:24:42 AM EDT
Yes, you would save money. You can also buy an aftermarket barrel and shoot plain lead to your heart's content.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:25:30 AM EDT
I think the concern is blown out of proportion. Clean your barrel and you won't have a problem. Or, you could always get a replacement barrel with traditional rifling.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:27:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1911greg:
I would like to start reloading .40 because I am shooting it a lot more than I shoot .45

the thing I am concerned about is my 40's are mostly all glocks. I am pretty sure its not a good idea to shoot unjacketed reloads thru a glock. (Although I know people do it)

So would I save any money reloading if i had to buy jacketed bullets?

Sorry, but your post makes no sense at all.

What Dillon press do you have?

On some, conversion kits for caliber changes aren't that expensive, on others, like the 1050, you might spend some coin.

Try to be more clear in what you're asking, in the future.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:30:30 AM EDT
What I am asking is how expensive would it be to convert my press from 45 to 40

Can i use unjacketed reloads?

I i used jacketed reloads would I save any money or would it be just as expensive as the cheap wal mart ammo?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:31:15 AM EDT
A set of dies and your good to go....where's the problem?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:34:42 AM EDT
Well, you either shoot jacketed only, or get an aftermarket barrel with "regular" rifling... I'm sure you can figure out the ROIC of the barrel.

Also bear in mind that even if you do shoot jacketed in the factory barrel, be aware of the potentials for case bulging that may not go away with a regular sizing die. IIRC Glocks have generous chambers (for reliability) that may play havoc on brass reloading.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:36:03 AM EDT
I'd buy an aftermarket (ie non polygonal) barrel for the Glock .40, and buy the conversion kit for the Dillon.

I load .45, 9mm, .38 and .357 in my 550B.

I use jacketed 9mm only, and plated .45 for my Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 8:38:38 AM EDT by Bubbatheredneck]

I i used jacketed reloads would I save any money or would it be just as expensive as the cheap wal mart ammo

Could yall do my research on ammo prices as well as look at Dillon's website for me to see what exactly I need to convert my press (you of course have to guess which one I have) and price out

components for me? then do a ROI analysis too. thanks.

fixed

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:40:13 AM EDT
Looks like you will be in the grenade making business...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:41:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 8:44:08 AM EDT by callgood]
Get a Dillon toolhead for .40S&W for your press.

Get a set of dies for .40S&W.

If you want to shoot lead bullets in your Glock check the Dillon catalog for Lone Wolf (I think) after market .40S&W barrels @ $99.00.

I use Missouri Bullet Company for my lead bullets.

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Well, you either shoot jacketed only, or get an aftermarket barrel with "regular" rifling... I'm sure you can figure out the ROIC of the barrel.

Also bear in mind that even if you do shoot jacketed in the factory barrel, be aware of the potentials for case bulging that may not go away with a regular sizing die. IIRC Glocks have generous chambers (for reliability) that may play havoc on brass reloading.

I haven't noticed this with a G20 after market barrel. RCBS or Bedding (IIRC) are making sizing dies that eliminate the bulge.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:43:38 AM EDT

I i used jacketed reloads would I save any money or would it be just as expensive as the cheap wal mart ammo?

Seriously:

What press do you have?

How much do you shoot?

How much do you pay for your lead bullets in .45, to compare them to jacketed 10mm bullets?

Are you able to go online and look at the reloading sites like Midway, Natchez, MidSouth, Grafs and Powder Valley, to run the numbers yourself and do the math to see if it's worth while.

How rich, or poor, are you and how would we know if it's worth it for you?

You can shoot lead through Glock barrels, you just have to clean them more thoroughly and more frequently, is all.

You can buy aftermarket Glock barrels where shooting lead through them, is not a problem. Maybe ~$140 shipped?

Chris

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:51:44 AM EDT
man these guys are helpful.

Instead of using FMJ bullets for your 40's, pick up some Berry's copper PLATED instead. Those will work fine in any HK or Glock and are not much more than the cost of cast.

Have fun
Top Top