Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:48:51 PM EDT
Looking for a good affordable headlamp with decent lumens for walking my dog during the winter.  Would also like it for backpacking and hiking.

Looking at the Fenix HP10, but it's kind of expensive.  Would like a more affordable alternative that is on par with the specs of the HP10.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
keep and eye on Steep and Cheap, they  always have deals on headlamps
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Petzl Tactikka Plus has worked great for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used both Princeton Tec and Petzl headlamps. Steer clear of the cheap no name brands you can pick up at the hardware store for $10. My understanding is that there is no consistent industry standard to measure lumens. So be weary of numbers on the box. Try to go to a store where you can play with the various lights.

I would also recommend you pick up rechargeable batteries and a charger.

I used a older Petzl TACTIKKA when I was in Iraq mostly for up close work like reading maps. It is a solid light but doesn't have much range past 10 ft or so. I have a Princeton Tec Apex which is a very tough light with a external battery pack (mounted on back) that I used daily on my hard hat doing heavy construction. It has good long range and smaller LEDs for close range.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
this one has worked very for me for years hunting

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=fuel
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My $20 energizer 1W led headlamp works fine for me, took it caving in 2 caves and use it when working on the car.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
petzl e-lite

I have a couple of these..... Great lite... about 25-30 dollars....only headlite ive never had fail on me....(i'm REALLY hard on crap)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
No search for a good headlamp is complete without including Zebralight...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Princeton Tec makes solid lights.  I have two and they have worked great for years now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My $20 energizer 1W led headlamp works fine for me, took it caving in 2 caves and use it when working on the car.

this....works just fine
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
If you like Fenix, they make a headband mount for their AA lights as well.  So you get a 2 for 1 by getting a flashlight, and a headlamp.

You can remove the top band and the battery pack and they include 2 flashlight clamps if you want to run 1 or 2 lights.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have this one princeton tec eos It is not as bright as the one you are looking at but it is lighter(about half), still waterproof,  and made in america.

Plus I never use any of the flashing modes on my flashlights
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Princeton Tec EOS!!  Use it, Love it!  Its got good throw as well as good side spill!  It is the perfect mix of both.

As a side note.. I am also curious about the Princeton Tec Remix Pro.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Princeton... I own two, and they have gotten me down out of the mountains after dark on several occasions. Great lights, and at a very decent price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Surefire Saint.  Cheap is relative.  Don't walk off a cliff saving 150 bucks

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
petzl e-lite

I have a couple of these..... Great lite... about 25-30 dollars....only headlite ive never had fail on me....(i'm REALLY hard on crap)

this^ ive used mine on the job for years, as well as other personal use. They are tiny and bright!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:31:44 AM EDT
[#17]

first post wins yet again.

s & c has outrageous deals on high quality gear.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Petzl Tikka
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Petzl Tikka

+1

Long battery life, decent light, holds up well and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a box full of headlights.

The hp10 is my favorite. But it depends on what you need one for. I adventure race, so I actually use the light's capabilities. If you just need one for tasks, the hp10 is almost too bright. Up close it reflects enough to blind you. The diffuser helps.

I had a princeton tec apex. It was a nice light but the plastic fell apart. ( a common problem if you do the research on them.) Took them about 4 months to replace it. Same story with the replacement...bad plastic. It just eventually disintegrated. I've had a couple other princeton tec lights that the plastic cracked on..the arora, I think. They make great lights, as far as user interface and brightness, but if they won't hold together, I'm done with them.

The only PT light I've had that hasn't broken is the EOS. It's a nice light but the battery life isn't as good as some others. If you don't need a super bright light, don't mind less than optimum battery life, they are simple and seem to be durable.

I wish I'd seen the above zebra site before I bought one from the 4sevens site. The above site has them cheaper. They are a really great light for a task light. Beautiful flood beam with no shadows. It's like standing in sunlight. They're simple and rugged, built from aluminum. Good battery life. I keep one hanging around my neck, and they light the path, while the hp10 on my head is a directional spot beam.

I've a petzl myo3 or 5, can't remember. It's a good light. Well built and rugged. Bright enough with decent battery life. The user interface is a bit more crude (twist bezel) but simple is good as far as I'm concerned.

I've a couple black diamond lights. The icon ( pretty chincy feeling. very mediocre) and one of their most powerful (four batteries, incandescent/led) I forget the name. It was mediocre too. Battery hog without being that bright, cheap feeling.

My recomendations: Go for the hp10 if you really want to see anything and everything at night like you've got a car headlight strapped to your forehead. Get one of the zebra AA lights if you want a work/task light. Go for the EOS if you're really budget concious and don't need the best.

ETA: I don't know any backpackers who tote a 4AA light. They just aren't really worth the weight, for that task. Even the EOS is heavy for backpacking. I take my zebra when I hit the trails.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

petzl e-lite

this^ ive used mine on the job for years, as well as other personal use. They are tiny and bright!!!!

+2

Hiking at night or during power outages this thing is great. Easy to use and I like the multiple settings.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Petzl Tactikka Plus has worked great for me.

A friend has one I got to look over & try out...

It's on my "To Buy" list...(saving for a decent pair of binoculars first...)
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a fan of the Petzl Zipka.  It doesn't use a large headband, just a small wire-like retractable band.  This also allows you to fasten it to your wrist, arm, etc.  It's very compact and easily slips in a pocket.  Also easy to use in your hand.  I had the original and just bought the wife and I the Zipka 2's with the newer LED's.  The new LED's are awesome.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top